Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
NileMushroom
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: 02

Blackberry Bold 9790 Software Update Freeze

So I've been sitting here for over 12 hours with my phone on charge waiting for something magical to happen with this update.

I was on my phone around 1pm today and I noticed I had a software update, so me being me I did so.

It quickly made its way to 15% overall backup progress - and 0% social feeds.

Now it has been like this for over 12 hours.

And I have recently done what I can possible to stop this update now.

So far I have now cleared my phone because when I synced it with my laptop it told me the phone was broken and the only way to fix it was to restore it to factory setting. Which it did automatically, now my phone is empty IM guessing.

I use the word guessing because overtime I take out the battery and place it back in, wait for the 10 minute reboot, the software update instantly comes up.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to stop this software update? And maybe even save my phone from total descrtuction.

I know for a fact my next phone wont be a piece of junk link this again.

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Blackberry Bold 9790 Software Update Freeze

The Bold 9790, a piece of junk?  Hardly.  You just had one bad experience with it.  In fact, every phone in the Bold lineup has impressed me.  So what we need to do is get you up and running again so you can once again enjoy your phone to its fullest potential.

You're asking about stopping the software update.  If your carrier has offered an OS update, it's because RIM has tested it and is comfortable with it and has then passed it on to your carrier who has tested it and is comfortable with it, as well.  If the update didn't complete properly, it could be for one of many reasons but let's give it a chance.

What I'd like you to do is to plug your phone in to your PC and open BlackBerry Desktop Software.  Once your phone has connected, click Device at the top of the software then Update.  Pick the most recent version of OS offered and load it.  If, by chance, your phone won't connect to BDS, have a look at this article:

www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB10144 .

Let us know if that helps you.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
NileMushroom
My Carrier: 02

This did not help due to the fact everytime I connect it to my PC it says that it cannont communicate with my phone

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kch159
My Device: bold 9790
My Carrier: o2

thank's mate well done! just needed to put the battery back in half way through the up date it worked!!!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
ghollyoake
My Carrier: O2

I am having the same problem! I organized for the update to happen overnight and when I looked at the phone this morning it read:

Backing Up Your Data

Social Feeds: 0%

Overall Backup Progress 10%

I am finding it so frustrating as the update has turned my 3G and network off so my computer cannot communicate with the phone. I have vital information on this phone so cannot afford to wipe the data but I cannot get rid of this update screen.

Ever wish you had just not bothered with an update? It seems to be a real problem with the Bold 9790s. If anyone can help I would be eternally grateful. I spoke to O2 and they said it's Blackberry's fault, spoke to Blackberry and they said O2 have to fix it - argh!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kch159
My Device: bold 9790
My Carrier: o2

Dude the only thing we lost was the phone numbers/ contacts but if they are saved to sim card it should be ok !     

The best way we found to do the update was to remove the battery  and connect it to your computer and  then half way through the down load put the battery back in.  

Do the old update first which gets your phone up and running and then do the latest update from your computer.  

Please use plain text.
Visitor
harriet1991
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9790
My Carrier: O2

This happened to me too! I'm absolutely livid as have lost all my contacts and messages :smileysad: can someone tell me if these come back once you plug into the computer?? Please help!!!!!!! x

Please use plain text.