Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
oddie1503
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
Accepted Solution

Blackberry Bold 9900 Headphone-Jack Problem.

Hello. I just bought my Bold 9900 today.

It works fine overall with the exeption of the headphone-jack.

When I put the headphones I can only hear from one side.

I have tried with 2 blackberry ear-phones, 1 ear-bud and 2 headphones

Including my speakers and my stereo. In all cases Ican only hear one side.

I havnt dropped it or anything, its fresh out of the box.

Is there a way I can fix this?

Retired
Dr_Palto
My Device: 9000, 9500

Re: Blackberry Bold 9900 Headphone-Jack Problem.

Hello oddie1503,

In this case we can try to reload the software on the BlackBerry smartphone to make sure it is running the latest version and there are no issues with the OS.

Here is how to backup your BlackBerry smartphone http://bbry.lv/kqMaD3

Once you have backed up your BlackBerry smartphone please follow the link below to complete a clean reload of the BlackBerry smartphone software.

Link: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB03621

Once completed test it and proceed with selective restore here is how to restore http://bit.ly/bSbfl3

If you are still having issues upon completing the reload i would recommend contacting your carrier/point of sale for assistance.

Thank you

-DrP

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
allnlu
My Device: blackberry 9900

Not so sure BB have not got a problem here and are covering it up due to bad press around at the moment. My headphones worked until I stared to put apps on my 9900 then i lost a channelon the headset. I changed the phone -no change! I swwopped the headsets for a compatible version -no change! I tried a brand new BB 3g h/phone - no change. Spent an hour with BB techie on weekend putting new OS and backing up etc worked perfectly until I started putting apps on it guess what -no change! to say I am sick of my BB 9900 would be an understatement. I think I will get my old 8520 from my wife and ebay this thing. Happy days!
New Contributor
oddie1503
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900

Thank you very much for the help. :Walkman:

So far so good, I haven't downloaded or re-booted my phone

so I don't know if the problem will come back and hunt me.

It is definitely an OS problem with applications.

The first device I returned it thinking it was a hardware issue, but my new one hopped to the

same problem as soon as I downloaded apps and re-booted.

I would like to know how many people have had this (or similar) problem wit OS.

RIM should definitely fix the program or patch it (at least).

Well thank you once again.

New Contributor
cvscblue
My Device: 9930

Concur. I've recved the new 9930 model and the headphone jack worked until I downloaded apps from their site. Once that occured, the headset only plays from the left speaker. I've returned three brand new units and the problem continues to persist. I even went to Radio shack and tried 10 different ear plugs, and they all had the same issue.
New Contributor
cvscblue
My Device: 9930

I'm on my third replacment and the issue is still there.
BobDobbs
My Device: Torch 9850

[ Edited ]

Same thing here. I have noticed if I don't insert (seat) the jack completely into the phone I get sound out of both ear buds. If I insert the jack all the way to the position it is supposed to be in I just get sound from the left side. It was working fine yesterday, the phone is not even a month old. If I can't find a legit fix, I'll take the phone back, get my years deposit back and go iPhone.

I wasted 40$ on some new buds because I thought the blackberry ones were defective. I'm not sure what the problem is, the phone hasn't been dropped or handled roughly. All I can say about reformatting is screw that. I don't see how that will fix, what to me looks like a hardware problem. I've taken a plastic spacer and lightly hot glued it over the jack insert itself (not the phone), which leaves enough space to get stereo everytime and seems to work just fine now. It's a **bleep** shame that something that has been babied and only a month old is already "jacked up" <---see what I did there???

Nkosistryder
My Device: Bold 9900

I actually found out the software to blame. It's actually Blackberry Messenger. I tried fiddling with all the software on my Bold 9900. this went as far installing different OS's. I upgraded to the leaked OS 7.1.0.190 (which is incredible in all aspects) then I installed BBM 6.1 the official release (which came out today, 10th Jan 2012) and the problem is completely gone. So I conclude that yes, it's a software problem and I strongly believe it's the application which causes the conflict is Blackberry Messenger.
Nkosistryder
My Device: Bold 9900

I actually found out the software to blame. It's actually Blackberry Messenger. I tried fiddling with all the software on my Bold 9900. This went as far installing different OS's. I upgraded to the leaked OS 7.1.0.190 (which is incredible in all aspects) then I installed BBM 6.1 the official release (which came out today, 10th Jan 2012) and the problem is completely gone. So I concluded that yes, it's a software problem and I strongly believe it's the application which causes the conflict is Blackberry Messenger. I've pulled and yanked the headphone cable like a madman as well as tried running And jumping with my phone in my pocket and they disconnect/reconnect issue has been completely eliminated. I've also tried multiple ear/headphones and the results have been consistent. If this doesn't help, sorry guys. I tried. Peace out
New Contributor
brendonsoo
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9930

Yes, it's extremely disappointing and frustrating that Blackberry can’t assist further for what evidently seems to be an OS/application issue. Strangely, only the left channel on my headset works now having updated to the OS7.1.0 Bundle 457 several months ago. Has anyone found a fix or the culprit application causing this anomoly?