Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
rkh1
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Telecom NZ

Blackberry Bold 9900 Not synchronizing old email messages

I have a client who has moved onto a new handset, he's set to synch messages as old as 90 days.

Hand set only synchs messages since the setup (welcome BB email).

Is this normal??

- if so, is there a work around for this?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry Bold 9900 Not synchronizing old email messages

[ Edited ]

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

If this is BES, then you are talking about pre-population...and you need to talk to the BES admins about this. If you are the BES admin, there is a BES-specific section of this site that you can ask other BES admins about this problem. However, to my understanding, pre-population of 90 days far exceeds the maximum limits for that setting.

If this is not BES, then understand how BIS email works. There is no method for bringing old emails to the BB. BB's are designed to begin bringing new emails starting within 20 minutes of the point of integrating the email account via BIS. There is no setting to configure for a 90-day amount of old emails to be brought down. Hence, from what you describe, it is Working As Designed (WAD).

Perhaps you are, for that 90-day setting, thinking of the "Keep Messages" setting on the BB, inside of the Messages App Options? If so, then that affects how long messages that do arrive to the BB are retained on the BB...it has nothing, however, to do with dictating what messages are brought to the BB in the first place.

Had your client used the Device Switch Wizard to migrate to the new handset, then the process would have included backup/restore of the Messages database (among many other useful things) from the old BB onto the new BB, which effectively would have accomplished what perhaps was desired. But, if that was not used, then the Messages Database starts out empty, to be populated as time passes and new emails arrive on the email server, to be pushed to the BB.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rkh1
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Telecom NZ

Hi,

Thanks for your response, yes this is BES. I'm new to BES administration, so i thought id check to see if this was normal.. And seeing as the 2 times we've wiped the handset and re-instated the email account - the first email is always the usual Welcome to BB email (time stamped a few mins before activation).

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

OK...I'm going to ask the Mods to move this over to the BES area so that the thread can be seen by other BES admins who can hopefully help you. Stand by...

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Solutions/ct-p/BlackBerryBoards#nobanner

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.