Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Shivonnealison
My Device: Blackberry bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone

Blackberry Bold Mic Not Working

I just got my brand new blackberry bold 9900. I've had it for 3 days and haven't been able to make a single call because no one can hear what I'm saying as the microphone isn't working. I have updated the software and it froze my phone and deleted all the software. Please help I want my new phone working.
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry Bold Mic Not Working

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Being a brand new device, you should not be facing these problems...have you sought formal assistance from your place of purchase?

Shivonnealison wrote:
I have updated the software and it froze my phone and deleted all the software.

If that means what I suspect, then you will need to reload your BB OS:

At the top of each device forum, there should be some "sticky" threads that discuss the OS levels available for each model. Please use those as reference as you proceed.

From a PC, you can install any compatible (e.g., for your exact BB Model Number) OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload" and the Storm, it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload any BB device model -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. You can even use a different carriers OS package by simply inserting, between steps 1 and 2, the deletion, on your PC, of a file named VENDOR.XML. Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Shivonnealison
My Device: Blackberry bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone

I had to get the phone shipped from the eastern states as there were none in stock in my state. I haven't tried taking it into store yet as I e had no time and I can't call them as the mic doesn't work.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
shoeluvr
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Did you change your housing by chance?  If so,  I discovered, I had significant issues with the microphone and sound because I changed the housing on my brand new 9900. 

1.0:  Speakerphone / sound issue:  I cannot hear music or anyone when I put them on speakerphone.

1.1:  I compared the back plates (the large piece that the battery cover fits into) the original blackberry part vs. the new gold back plate I purchased. 

1.2:  I noticed that in the lower right corner of the original there is a rectangular piece that has contacts, and it looked permanently connected, so I didn't want to take the chance of ruining the phone by prying it out. 

1.3:  I ended up keeping on the phone the original black backplate, reassembled the phone using the new gold keyboard, and gold plastic facing that sticks onto the original touch screen, and the gold batter cover.  So now the phone is black and gold, and it actually might be even cooler looking than all gold!  Best of all, the phone speaker phone and outbound sound works fabulously!

2.0:  Microphone Issue (outbound sound from handset (headset wired and bluetooth worked fine)):  

The microphone is locted at the bottom front right corner of the 9900 under the keyboard (not visible from outside of the phone). I took my phone apart because no one could hear me talking. Note that I had recently changed my housing from the original black one to a nice girlie after-market gold one.

Essentially, since I had replaced the original blackberry black keyboard with a gold aftermarket one I purchased, I had to punch holes with my screwdriver into the lower lip of the keyboard (you can't see it until you remove that smile-like piece at the bottom front of the phone). What I did was create the identical amount of holes in the same locations as I could see on the original blackberry part. Once I punched the holes and reassembled my phone, everthing worked! I now love my phone!!  Here's how I did it.

2.1. Since the tiny microphone is under the lower keyboard plate you have to remove that plastic black smile shaped piece at the bottom of the phone (it is glued in, so you have to peel it off). There is a tiny slit in the lower right corner where you can slip a tiny screw driver into to pry it up.
2.2. Then you have to unscrew two tiny screws one on each side under that smile piece (one on the lower front left, and the other on the lower front right).
2.3. Then you have to take a tiny cell phone screwdriver and gently slide it into the whole in the lower left bottom and gently begin to lift / pry the keyboard up. You will have to also have one of those plastic cell phone prying tools so that once you are able to pull the keyboard up enough to have enough of a gap to slip the prying tool in, you can slide it around the bottom edge of the phone, and the keyboard will pop up.
2.4. Once the keyboard is up, you will see a little TINY round gold microphone in the lower right corner.

I hope this helps someone, because I was wracking my brain and spent countless hours scouring the internet, I reinstalled the OS, etc.

Shoe

Minds are like parachutes, they don't work unless they're open.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Scirocco53
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Telus / Rogers / At&t

The device was gven to me by my friend who had an issue with the screen. I have another device that had a good screen, but had a different issue.  I took appart both i am having an issue with my BB Bold 9900.  I recently dissasembled the phone, as I needed to replace the screen.

After assembly, everything works fine, except when I speak, no one can hear me on the other end.  I updated the device version through BB Desktop to 7.1 Bundle 2108 (v7.1.0.746, Platform 5.1.0.546).

I don't know what else to do in order to get this to work.

Please use plain text.