Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000

Re: Blackberry Bold and Loudspeaker sound level problem

I posted this on another thread, and it actually fits better here, so here goes:

I am on my second BB Bold.  I had the quiet speakerphone issue with my first, so one week before my warranty was up on the original, ATT replaced the unit with a factory refurb.  the refurb worked great for a long time, however, now it started losing volume just like the first one.

Okay, I have tried paper shims and plastic strips.  I have even used one of those little stick on silicone buttons  that you put on cabinet doors or drawers to keep them from slamming.  They all work for a while, but then the speaker volume fades again.

So, now that the second phone is out of warranty, I tried something a little gutsy.  I removed the battery cover and battery, then removed the six screws that hold the back of the phone together.  Once all six screws are removed, gently lift off the back.  Imbedded into the back is the small speaker, with two small contacts that protrude ever-so-slightly.  Using a small jeweler's screwdriver or a small pen knife gently lift the tips of the contacts up.  Now, replace the back, and the screws.  Replace the battery and battery cover, and wait for the phone to boot up.  This should fix your problem.  I believe that the contacts should probably be made from a stronger tensile metal that will better withstand the pressure, without getting "sprung."  This sounds a little intimidating to do, but it is really an easy fix.

ALSO, there are SIX screws.  Remove teh battery cover.  There is a screw at each corner, one on the left side (halfway down the side), and one under the little white dot on the right side.  DO NOT REMOVE THE SCREWS IF YOUR BB IS STILL UNDER WARRANTY.  REMOVAL OF THE WHITE DOT VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY.

Visitor
My Device: 9700

[ Edited ]

I have a similar problem with my 9700.

Music / Ringtones play through headphones or the handset speaker, but the speakerphone is completely silent. It has had perhaps one small (1 foot) drop in the leather case and onto carpet. There is no visible damage, and they should be tougher than that (I dropped an 8800 2 stories onto concrete and it still works)

I've tried very gently twisting and pushing around the speaker, but have not opened the case beyond the battery cover. I'll leave that until last. I'm about to update the firmware. It

Unfortunately I bought it in Beirut from the Blackberry shop so I'm not sure Telstra want anything to do with it.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT:

Problem solved. If you have a 9700 and the loudspeaker fails, it may resulted from a similar compression of the circuitry surrounding the flash. Since you can't open it up without a bit of effort and potentially voiding a warranty, hold it screen-up and slap it down into the palm of your hand gently but firmly. Do it while playing a song and you should hear it pop back on pretty quickly.

Thank you all for these indications that helped solving my own problem

On my BB 9000, ring sound was extremely low. The solution was not with a post-it (unpaid ad !) by 2 small pieces of thick paper inserted from the top between the telephone and the small square piece of metal holding the lens of the camera.

Hope it will help other guys !

New Contributor

After reading several of the posted solutions, I decided to try inserting a small button between the battery and the cover.  My sound level increased immediately.  I will hot glue the button to the cover later.  A fix so simple, a caveman can do it...or RIM!!

New Contributor

After I made this post, I decided to go a step further.  I took small slices of pencil eraser and hot glued them to the inside cover.  More of a semi-permanent fix with zero $$$ expended.

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Hey folks!

It's been 10 months from my last post. Back then I found out about the grey-flashcover-pressure-thing.

Also I found out, that 'undoing' the pressure by lifting this grey cover or even the whole backcover of the phone would fiz this problem. But lifting it with my fingernail became annoying and a temporary solution.

Now what fixed this issue for good:

I used a staple - the metal is thin but very resistend for a long term. I cut smaller pieces out of one and put it in both the openings, left and right from this white plastic. One is 'looking down', and the other one up.

And this is why it works:

The way the staples are inserted, every time you press the cover (getting the phone out of the case etc) the pressure (which previously made the sound level decrease) now lifts the grey cover and the sound is louder than ever before.

I hope you can see the photo I inserted, if not, I figure another way to show it.

It works so good, I should be the new design-engineer at RIM :smileytongue:

Hope this works for all of you just fine.

Greetings

philipp

New Contributor

Cannot help but I have the same problem and I am on my 4th BB in less than a year....2 new and 2 refurbished!! 

New Contributor

I applaud you for being smart enough to include pictures with your description, since the rest of us are trying to navigate our way around long sentences left by others.  I believe all of us on here have been referring to the same geographic location on the back of the BB that is causing the sound problems.  I think RIM should pay you a royalty for every staple added to one of their devices.

New Contributor

I have done that, the plastic strip form the cr. Card, the yellow stick paper, the Tylenol and and Advil plastic strips. I have done the push the pull and upside, downside and everything in between. The BB BOLD 9000 is not working and I think blackberry are going to tell me to go to you know what on a device that is 2 month old. This is my 5TH Berry and I am disappointed. As a loyal customer I will re re re think many times before I have another blackberry. I think this is the Toyota of phones except it does not kill you. It kills your business. So I think we should call the bold 9000 ( Bold Berry Business Killer ).

Kind regards to all of you:smileysad

psienkiewicz wrote:

Hey folks!

It's been 10 months from my last post. Back then I found out about the grey-flashcover-pressure-thing.

Also I found out, that 'undoing' the pressure by lifting this grey cover or even the whole backcover of the phone would fiz this problem. But lifting it with my fingernail became annoying and a temporary solution.

Now what fixed this issue for good:

I used a staple - the metal is thin but very resistend for a long term. I cut smaller pieces out of one and put it in both the openings, left and right from this white plastic. One is 'looking down', and the other one up.

And this is why it works:

The way the staples are inserted, every time you press the cover (getting the phone out of the case etc) the pressure (which previously made the sound level decrease) now lifts the grey cover and the sound is louder than ever before.

I hope you can see the photo I inserted, if not, I figure another way to show it.

It works so good, I should be the new design-engineer at RIM :smileytongue:

Hope this works for all of you just fine.

Greetings

philipp

Contributor

I understand You are dissapointed. I used Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Samsung (that **bleep**!) and other mobile stuff, and I mean it when I say, that BB is top in every situation, except that sound level thing. It could happen everyone and I am very unhappy, that this affected my device, but really the quality of BB itself is amazing. Although I have this issue with the soundlevel, I will never go back to any other brand than BB.

Philipp