Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Japples
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900

Blackberry Bold just lost all its life.. had BB protect on there but it never worked!

After having my BB Bold for just under a year, it completely shut down yesterday on Thanksgiving. (5 days before warranty was up so at least thats nice... even though all I get in return is a refurbished phone that will probably die out in another 6 months...) I discovered this morning that I wasnt covered on the back end with BlackBerry protect.. even though I had signed up and set it update weekly.. I did the same on my LAST Bold and it worked just fine. Is there a reason why it didnt work this time? Is there a way to find out if its still on BB protect and its just not coming up or...?

I wanted to keep my last phone in case there was SOME way for me to get important memos and contacts off but the rep at the warranty office said I wasnt able to keep my phone. Why is this?

Is there a way to get my memos and contacts back?? They're extremely valuable for my business.

PS. I love the phone and am even more excited for the 10!

Thanks,

Jarrett

CollectiveZoo.com 

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Blackberry Bold just lost all its life.. had BB protect on there but it never worked!

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

BB Protect alone is not, IMHO, an adequate backup strategy...it is a component, but not the entirety. If you look inside of BB Protect, you will find a list of things it can back up. But, if you check the full list of BB Databases, you will find much more:

• KB03974 BlackBerry smartphone database list

Further, when you research more, you will discover that even the Desktop Software backup does not truly capture everything...it misses BBM Contacts! So, here is the backup process I always recommend:

1. Daily -- BB Protect, automatic, via WiFi only (if you are concerned about your carrier data usage)
  2. Weekly -- use BBM to back up your BBM Contacts to your Media Card
  3. Weekly -- use the Desktop Software to conduct a full backup (which will include the databases listed in the KB above)
  4. Weekly -- use the USB-drive method to copy, to your PC, the full contents of your device and media card memory (which, btw, will now include your BBM Contacts)

With that, you have the best chance of recovering from any catastrophic failure. If you are synchronizing with a desktop PIM (e.g., Outlook), then you have that as an additional recovery source. Likewise if you are on BES.

But, now back to your situation. The ability to restore data is contingent on access to a source of data from which to conduct the restore. If you have no source(s), then you cannot restore. Fortunately, all of the above sources are FREE (for BB Protect, a proper BIS data plan is required). But, again, if you have no sources, then you've migrated from the latter to the former in this old saying:

• There are two kinds of computing device users -- those who have lost data, and those who will

Backups, quite simply, are not an optional activity. Further, verification of the success of any backup strategy is a critical step in using it...as you learned, if the configuration fails, you will not know it unless you actually check on it to be sure. And, like insurance, it must be put in place (and validated) before the need arises.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code