Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Blackberry Bold on Mac

Careful!  The next time you go to sync your contacts with Pocketmac you will find that they are all duplicated on your Bold -- and then the duplicates are all copied back to your desktop on the next sync.

Thanks for reporting back, but to be safe, I would not sync your Bold a second time with your desktop. 

New Contributor

RonAnnArbor wrote:
RIM has stated that they are working on their own Desktop Manager for MAC which should be available in early 2009. We'll see what that brings.
RonAnnArbor,  greetings.  Not seen you much around the AT&T forums! So, I am contemplating dumping the iphone and getting the Bold.  BUT,I too am on a Mac.  
Would you suggest waiting since there is limited sync? Also, how do you like the Bold compared to your iPhone?

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, it's a mixed bag --

Syncing on the Bold is a horror story. It really depends on how much you need to sync every day. What I found is that I use Missing Sync to keep my calendars, notes, and tasks up to day once per day. As outlined above, I synced my contacts once, and after all those trials and tribulations of it erasing all the contacts on the desktop, I now do not sync any of the contacts at all.  Calendars, notes, and tasks seems to work OK with Mac native apps -- it does not work with Entourage, although theoretically it should, since Entourage uses Sync Services to sync back to iCal...but events disappear between the two, and nothing really copies properly back and forth to the Bold if you do it from Entourage -- disabling sync services and using only the native Mac apps seems to work okay then.

As to the iPhone comparison, there are pros and cons to each, but the BB pros clearly outweighed the iPhone cons.

The Bold's improved browser looks great and works fast on 3G -- faster, in fact, than the iPhone...but of course you can't see the whole page and resize it with your fingers the way you an on the iPhone. But, what outweighs that is that the full sites on the iPhone were next to unusable on most sites I visit on a daily basis -- and the iPhone would default to the mobile site anyway -- so in reality, I've found the browsing experience to be pretty similar, if not a bit faster on the Bold.

The real clincher for me is the real keyboard -- I hated hated hated the touch keyboard on the iPhone....after using the iPhone for a 14 months, I STILL couldn't get the keyboard to work properly either on the 1st gen iPhone or the 2nd Gen iPhone. The BB Bold keyboard is marvelous. I'm back to my 45-50 wpm rather than 6 wpm on the iPhone. I could never go back to that awful touch keyboard on the iPhone.

The look and feel of the Bold is very much Blackberry -- you need to futz around and set it up the way you want it, and it has limited customization ability. Just like all the older BB's, when you start doing things like changing photos on your homescreen, you end up with more frequent crashes, and that includes the Bold.

But other plusses are having copy-and-paste back, and the ability to edit spreadsheets and documents on the Bold, which was impossible on the iPHone.

In reality - the iPhone is a nifty consumer phone and an awesome iPod/Video/Photo machine....but I have a Macbook AIr which goes with me everywhere and has all my music, videos, and photos on it. They are features I can live without on my Bold -- BUT, the Bold can store photos (it has some conversion problems - the smaller your original photos, the easier it handles them on the Bold...) and the Bold has a good media player in it for playing music and watching videos. The screen is actually crisper and cleaner than the iPhone -- video looks amazing. The screen, is, however half the size of the iPhone so you don't find yourself watching all that much.  The music player part of the Bold is indistinguishable from the iPhone iPod function as far as sound quality goes. It uses regular stock size 3.5 headphones.  The one thing you can't do is listen to any of your iTunes purchased music or iTunes purchased video on the Bold. It does not play DRM protected media. Of course, there are ways to get around that as a Google search will bring up -- but I am finding myself purchasing next to nothing on iTunes anymore, and going to the store to buy real records and DVD's which I can rip to my Mac and install without the DRM of iTunes.

If you've ever used the Motorola Razr, or the HTC Tilt or other HTC recent phones, you'll find that all of your old standard mini-USB port equipment (chargers, car chargers, sync cords, etc) all work with the BB Bold. Nice to have that general compatibility that does not require Apple-only branded equipment.

Size-wise, the phone is about the same size as the iPhone. I usually don't use a case for any of my phones (iPhone included) and just throw the into my pants cargo pocket...as such, there really isn't any physical difference.

The GPS features are the same. You can upgrade and pay the monthly fee for ATT's Telnav service or you can download the free Google Maps, just like on the iPhone, and use that. Since I don't need GPS for travelling, I find Google Maps works identically - complete with blue moving dot.

There is limited software on the Bold. On a Mac, you can't install anything program wise from your computer no matter what program you try to use. Everything you install has to go Over The Air (OTA) directly to the Bold. I've installed a great weather program that I like better than anything I found for iPhone, and a few games that work well. More and more Bold programs are becoming available, but nothing like what you have through the App STore on the iPhone.

Just like the iPhone, there is no Flash on the Bold -- that means the same sites you can't access on the iPhone, you can also not access on the Bold. It does play the recoded YouTube videos through m.youtube.com, rather than the normal Youtube site -- but that is limited (identical to the iPhone there).

I've recently become a Facebook addict -- I find that Facebook for Blackberry works better than Facebook on the iPhone because it will send you your notifications directly to your home screen on the Bold, which you access just like text messages. Of course, the Bold also has MMS, which the iPhone does not.

Did I mention copy-and-paste?  Hehe....

Here's an ironic one -- you can record video on your Bold and send it to your desktop or friends....but if someone sends YOU video they made on their Bold, you can't view it on the Bold -- you can't view the very format it saves its video in! 

Overall, I am thrilled with my Bold. I liked the iPhone for the WOW-factor....but frankly, the Bold has that Wow-factor as well.

Nobody really knows when the Mac interface will be available from RIM -- it is sorely lacking for us Mac users. It didn't stop me from switching, since I can get by with what it does do in its limited way with Missing Sync.  If you choose to go that way, make sure you archive all your Mac iCal and Address Book data before beginning. I've found myself restoring the Address Book twice after the Missing Sync contacts debacle. (see the previous post of mine that goes step by step through how to do that).

If I knew for sure that RIM was going to come out with the Mac interface in January...or February...or March...I would say wait a few months. Since nobody really knows when (and if really) that will occur, I would say go ahead and get the Bold if it sounds like what you want. You'll need to buy Missing Sync through markspace.com for 39.00 -- and that cross your fingers and hope it transfers the calendars and contacts at least once.

I haven't come across any physical problems with the Bold -- i.e. no battery problems, no notification or alarm problems, no dropped signal problems, and great voice clarity on phone calls. 

Message Edited by RonAnnArbor on 11-17-2008 08:03 PM

i just got the Bold... cool phone.  i've had the 8700 up to this point.  tried Pocket Mac, finally got it to "connect and sync" but it continued to stall.  copied about 1/4 of my contacts onto the Bold and nothing else after repeated tries.  so i went back to Missing Sync (used that on my 8700), uninstalled both Pocket Mac and MS, then reinstalled MS.  everything should be completely straight, but for some reason i keep getting this message when i try to sync:

"Synchronization cancelled due to error. Could not connect to device." 

i've done all the trouble shooting i believe necessary including this advice to no avail:

"Resolving Connection Issues: BlackBerry Devices

Solution
This article describes troubleshooting steps to follow to resolve issues with connectivity between your Mac and BlackBerry handheld device.
You may occasionally have problems connecting your Mac and BlackBerry handheld device. The steps listed below may work to resolve your issue, particularly if you see any of the following error messages in The Missing Sync for BlackBerry log:
Error reading from device (e0004051)
Err
or reading from device (e00002ed)
Error
communicating with device (e00002c5)
If you ha
ve PocketMac, you'll have to uninstall both PocketMac and The Missing Sync for BlackBerry, and then reinstall The Missing Sync for BlackBerry. To uninstall The Missing Sync for BlackBerry, go to the Missing Sync for BlackBerry folder found in your Applications folder (/Applications/Missing Sync for BlackBerry), and then double-click the Uninstaller icon.

If you have Verizon Wireless Access Manager installed, you will also need to reinstall Missing Sync for BlackBerry.

If you have a new MacBook and MacBook Pro (Aluminum/Unibody, Late 2008) model, please see the article.

Clic
k the Continue button and follow the instructions to uninstall The Missing Sync for BlackBerry.

If you don't have PocketMac installed on your Mac, then you may be experiencing a connectivity issue caused by one of the following:

1) Plugging the BlackBerry into a hub or keyboard. If you are using a USB hub or a USB port on a keyboard, try unplugging the BlackBerry, and then plug it into an open USB port on the Mac.

2) Having the BlackBerry connected when you restart the Mac. Be sure to disconnect your BlackBerry before restarting your Mac.

3) Having Preferences on the BlackBerry set to synchronize upon connect.  To disable this preference, click the Preferences button in The Missing Sync for BlackBerry, and then uncheck the "Start sync when a device connects" box (see screenshot below).

4) Occasionally, the initial sync of a BlackBerry device with a Mac fails. Try removing the SD memory expansion card from the device and try synchronizing again. If the initial sync completes properly, reinsert the SD card.

5) Try updating to at least Mac OS X 10.4.10. Mac OS X versions at or beyond this point have been found to resolve a number of USB connectivity issues.

6) The last thing you may wish to try is performing a soft reset of your BlackBerry. To do this, turn off the BlackBerry, remove the battery pack for 3 minutes, the replace it and try to synchronize again.

Should any of these methods fail to resolve your connectivity issues, consider entering a Support Ticket."

so there you have it... not sure what my next step is.  perhaps i have to go back to the 8700, big bumout but I live on my contacts and calendar, syncs are VITAL.  any suggestions or am i screwed for now?

thanks

Tim  

New Contributor

These are absolutely correct. I have tried both (BB for Mac and Missing Sync) and it is a disaster. I have asked my money back from Missing Sync, because the advertisement is fraud abut Bold.

Now, I am trying again with BB for Mac, in case they have had an update and I will let you know. 

Well... I can say I have spent the past part of the weekend (as well as a fair few nights in the week!) trying to get PocketMac to sync with my BB Bold 9000 - And the result is 

PocketMac = 100% FAILURE!

So we then go to our next app - Missing Sync (thank god I never bought it!!)

MissingSync = 100% FAILURE!!

So I have been phoning and emailing my friends/family/work all from memory...

Have surfed and searched on all BB forums - nothing doing, same story different forum, last night I looked at it from the MacBook Pro angle, surfed all the mac forums, again, same story different forum.

Anything doing on some techie geek reconfiguring the code on iSync to accommodate a BB Bold 9000, again nothing doing....

So I thought just now "CRAP" manual entry of all my (150 contacts!!) - then I thought, hang on... why dont I just email myself all my contacts from Address Book. SO I exported 1 contact to test it... and....

100% Success... ok, I know its a hassle to export the vcf file, but hey, it sure beats entering each persons info by hand...

I know this is a 'crappy sort of fix' but I hope my post will help someone out there...

BTW, I love the Bold. I really do. Have been a Nokia chap since now, I got sold (missold) an E71, which was a well built phone, the guy instore said it had push email (errr no it doesnt!!) so I complained to Orange my provider and they realised some instore nerd had gotten it so wrong... pull email is ok... but push rocks!!

I love the keypad, I cannot get to grips with a touch screen - I like the iPod, its so cool, but it drove me nuts trying to send a quick 200 word email in the local Apple Store...

But this is a lovely lovely smartphone.

Miguel - BB Bold Convert (and Mac Addict). 

New Contributor

Unfortunately, you are totally correct. I have done all the above and I have the brand new MacBookPro with Entourage 2008. It was a mess.

I have to admit though, that the Missing Sync, gave my money back and I am waiting for new software.

There are some tricks, if someone uses PC and Mac, to transfer from Outlook to Entourage, sometimes slow, but finally effective.

If someone is interested, I will answer. Thanks

sorry...call me a noobie, but once you have e-mailed your BB the VCF file, how do you open it or put it into BB's contact list?

thx

New Contributor

Through two months of effort - countless hours with the Bold, forums, support with Missing Synch etc.. THIS POST IS COMPLETELY ACCURATE !!!

I have had over 7 or 8 Blackberries all Windows based. I recently switched to all MACs at home to get away from a second job as home tech support on WIndows computers my kids have. I love the MAC - But hard to believe but the Blackberry Bold (fine overall product) does not dance with the MAC ....

Missing Synch is a disaster ... I asked for a refund because they know it doesn't work with the Bold and their website says it does... it is outright fraud !!! They are refusing to refund at the moment.

I hear the Curve works with Missing Synch and the MAC but I have no first hand experience.

Hard to believe the Bold is to compete with the iPhone and it doesn't work on the MAC ... oh well...

New Contributor

Up to now, I think you cannot open a VCF file. I only play, between PC and Mac and synchronize with PC. I believe that they will work on it in the future. Maybe it is too soon for them.