Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
hardik_911
My Device: blackberry bold 9700
My Carrier: 919909412979

Blackberry bold 9700 contacts list lost while installing operating system

Following is the sequence of event which leads to losing the contact list from blackberry bold 9700 while installating operating system:

1) Suddenly the screen become white with display JVM error

2) I connected same to BB desktop manager which indicates "DEVICE not detected" and suggested to install operation system

3) I installed OS 5.0 and selected "to take back up" in the processing cycle. I din't selected "encryption option" while installing the OS

4) After completion of the OS 5.0 installation, my device is ready to use.

5) I observed that contact list is empty i.e. all contacts are not taken as backup while installing the OS

Can you plz advise procedure to get my contact list back.

Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Re: Blackberry bold 9700 contacts list lost while installing operating system

Hi hardik_911

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Forums

If you have a Backup then you can restore your Contact list , please refer to this Knowldege Base article :

KB10339How to use BlackBerry Desktop Software to restore data to a BlackBerry smartphone from a backup file

In addition if you are using BlackBerry Protect then you can restore your Contact list from there also , for that check this KB :

KB25063  : How to use BlackBerry Protect to restore data to a BlackBerry smartphone.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
hardik_911

Thanks for immediate response.

I am using desktop manager first time and don't have any backup for the contacts.

But while the OS update was done, I selected the option "Backup the file" and thought that backup will be taken automatically while update and restoration will be done.

But unfortunately it dint ?? plz advise

Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012

Hi hardik_911

If you used BlackBerry Desktop Software then During any update process it do take a backup  of your device if user choose that option. If you are sure that you have selected that options then those files must be there , Can you connect your device to your PC and run Desktop Software , Then Click on Device > Restore > Are you able to see and recent Backup ? If you find any then you can restore you contact list from there . Do you see any Backup ?

Also are you using BlackBerry Protect on your device as I mentioned earlier ? 

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
hardik_911

Hi,

I am not using blackberry protect as never thought of facing such an issue.

I tried the option suggested i.e. Device-Restore but there are no files shown in the window aginst OS installation date of 14-01-2013. 

After facing the problem i took backup on 15-01-2013 which is shown.

Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012

hardik_911 wrote:

Hi,

I tried the option suggested i.e. Device-Restore but there are no files shown in the window aginst OS installation date of 14-01-2013. 

Hi hardik_911

If on that screen you are able to see the OS installation date then under heading Select Data to Restore what happen when you click or mark Select device data and setting ,are you able to see anything ?

If you still unable then I doubt if any backup are there , But still you can search your C : drive for any previous or prior to 15.01.13 for any .bbb files under the folder  Backup if  you can locate then I think you can restore your contacts.

Also if previously  you are using any email account to sync your Contact list then also you can recover your contact. So it all depends on you ,If all fails then I am sorry and I hope atleast from now on you shall do a backup of your device at a regular interval. 

Good luck .

Please use plain text.