Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry bold 9700
My Carrier: Orange

Blackberry bold 9900

Hi all, I have owned my current handset since october of 2011 and have had no problems with it so far.....until now.

Today i took a picture that i wanted to upload to a social networking site and did what i always do but when i get to the bit where i select what album i want to put it in and upload it the background is black whereas it would usually be the image i am uploading.  This is a new problem and has only just started happening.  I have done the classic reboot of my phone, any suggestions.  As the background remains black you can only assume that you are uploading the picture that you selected from your media album.  I know its a trivial problem but its enough to bug the hell out of me, please help me, Kelly x

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry bold 9900

Hello!

I recommend that you attempt to boot into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Hello i tried that and still i have the same issue.  The photo appears then when i try to send to social networking the screen goes black and i only have the info of the social networking site so can't be guaranteed that it is the pic i selected.  At present i am emailing them to myself, saving them and uploading them.......someone help fix this silly, trivial but annoying problem, thank you

Hall of Famer II

If even Safe Mode won't allow you to upload correctly, then it's likely that somehow your OS may be slightly corrupt on your BB...your options now would be...

1. On-device WIPE
  2. ResetToFactory WIPE
  3. OS reload
  4. OS reload "bare bones", adding things slowly until the behavior presents
  5. OS reload with different OS packages
  6. BBSAK/JLCmder WIPE and OS reload
  7. Different combinations of the above

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

As somebody who isn't necessarily knowledgeable about OS this and OS that which of the options you suggested would you try first? As you have listed them? I don't want to lose anything off my phone, but its frustrating how this has just started happening after 10 months of owning it, thank you for all your advice so far

Hall of Famer II

[ Edited ]

Sorry...I never know the technical capabilities of anyone here...I seem always to choose the wrong level to present information at...just can't win that one. 

In any event, everything I've recommend will indeed result in losing everything on your BB -- since the behavior exists even in SAFE mode, there must be something wrong at a deeper core level, and cures for that involve wiping out all that is on the BB, replacing it with new OS loads and such. But, fortunately, RIM provides FREE methods to backup your BB (which, being a computing device, backups really aren't an optional activity anyway):

• KB12487 How to back up BackBerry smartphone data using BlackBerry Desktop Software for Windows

Indeed, they also provide more methods, which are useful...(I will digress for a moment) for backup strategy, here's mine:

Daily

• Use BB Protect to backup "to the cloud" all that it can
    • KB25062 How to use BlackBerry Protect to back up data on a BlackBerry smartphone

Weekly

• Within BBM, back up BBM contacts locally to either Device or Media Card Memory
    • KB20554 How to back up and restore the BlackBerry Messenger contact list
  • Use the Desktop Software to perform a full backup (the link to KB12487 above) to the PC
  • Manually copy, via Mass Storage Mode, the entire contents of Device and Media Card Memory to the PC
    • KB11879 What is mass storage mode

With all of that, I'm pretty much sure of being able to recover from any failure, from minor to catastrophic. Plus, since I use Outlook, that's actually my master data source for contacts and calendar anyway.

So, back to your problem. Here is what I'd recommend...

First, since most of what I can provide you may vary slightly by BB OS level, you need to know yours, so that you can follow the proper section of each KB I provide to you:

• KB23393 How to check the model number and version of installed BlackBerry device software on a BlackBerry smartphone

Second, be sure you know where to re-obtain your add-on apps (if you have any)...if you got ALL of your apps via AppWorld, then there should be no problem as the AppWorld servers will retain record of everything you got from AW. But, if you obtained things elsewhere, you will need to know how to re-obtain those (including any license or activation keys that may be relevant).

Third, if you have registered BB ID and/or BIS credentials and/or AppWorld credentials, you need to know those so that you can re-configure things correctly after things are wiped out.

OK...with that, I think we are ready to move forward...

1) Backup your BBM Contacts locally on your BB (KB20554 above)

2) Take a full backup to your computer (KB 12487 above)

3) Copy the entire contents of your Device and Media Card Memory to your PC (via Mass Storage Mode, KB11879 above)

4) Perform an on-device WIPE:

• KB14058 How to delete all data and applications from the BlackBerry smartphone using the Security Wipe option

5) After the reboot, you should be prompted to re-enter your BBID credentials (if you've already configured those)...do so and many things should return to normal (e.g., your email configurations should return, etc.).

6) Perform the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 6a and 6b each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

6a) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

6b) Delete and Resend Service Books

• KB05000Delete the service book for the BlackBerry Internet Service email account from the BlackBerry smartphone
  • If you have no CMIME entry, then skip the deletion
  • KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

6c) Batt Pull Reboot

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

7) Next, before adding anything else, try again what was not working...I don't recall if you were using the Browser or an add-on app for the broken thing, but if it was an add-on, then re-acquire just that one app.

If the behavior does not re-present, then start adding your other apps SLOWLY...you will want to add one at a time, testing again to be sure the behavior does not present. If it does present, then you know the culprit (the last thing you installed). You will want to allow enough time between adding things to be sure that the behavior will not present.

If the behavior does present, then continue here (if time has passed, be sure to re-do all of the backup steps again so that you have all of your most recent data):

8) Perform a ResetToFactory WIPE:

• KB31291 How to reset a BlackBerry smartphone to factory settings using BlackBerry Desktop Software
  • Return to steps 5, 6, and 7

9) If 8 does not work, then proceed here to reload your OS (you will want to use the exact same OS that your BB is already running on, as per what you learned from KB23393):

From a PC, you can install any compatible (e.g., for your exact BB Model Number) OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload" and the Storm, it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload any BB device model -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure.

Return again to steps 5, 6, and 7 above

10) If 9 does not work, then re-do 9, but this time de-select everything that is Optional (e.g., language packs, games, etc.) when you are loading the OS. If you can at all click the box to install the item, then make sure it is NOT selected to be loaded to your BB ("bare bones" OS install).

11) Check the download portal for other OS levels, newer than what you are presently running on your BB. Use those instead and return to step 9 above (as well as 10 if necessary).

Also check for OS packages from other than your carrier...you may have to dig for those as the download portal is sorted first by carrier and then by model...so you have to dig through each carrier to see if they support your model, and then see what version they are supporting...you will want to look at the "Applications" section in the portal for comparison between OS packages.

Return again to step 9, using these different OS packages. However, to use an OS package from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then after you have installed the OS package to your PC, you MUST delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

After deleting those files, you should be able to run LOADER and it should use that OS package. If you are not oferred what you expect, it may be that you have too many OS packages installed to your PC or that you have not properly deleted the VENDOR.XML file(s).

12) Download BBSAK (bbsak.org) and use it to WIPE your BB...then proceed with LOADER and again step 9 above (BBSAK includes the ability to invoke LOADER...but sometimes it just does not work and you must do it manually).

Let's see...I think that's everything I can think of, in a good order to proceed. Complicated, isn't it? Hopefully, you will find a solution quickly and not need to do all of this...but at least now you have it all.

As an alternative, you can seek formal support if you have warranty...but I honestly cannot speak to how/if they will provide support for your specific situation...your contract with them will dictate those terms.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates