Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: T-MOBILE

Blackberry does not create an Email (gmail) new icon

[ Edited ]

Hello Friends.

Thanks for all your great and consistent help here. 

I've just got a new device (blackberry 9900), after using blackberry for years.

For the first time (for me) there is a weird thing happening which I cannot seem to solve on my own. After setting up my mail (gmail), My Blackberry wont create a separate Email icon (you know... this new mail icon which combines the mail-envelope and a little ball on it). Rather, Blackberry shows me only the general Messages folder (which now contains the mail).

I am used to work with the separate personal email folder. The general messages folder (even if I separate it from SMS massages and other general massages) is not so convenient to work with, since it shows you, separately, the sent items (with that "V" on) and it does not group the massages in the same way that the Separated mail box does. Please Please help me restore the separated email folder.

By the way, After a long long search I've found this massage online:

Posted by:Jason Tramer 

I have encountered this issue recently with users missing the separate icon for their personal mail (gmail, yahoo mail etc ..) after there blackberries have been wiped and all of their mail is going into there message folder.

After doing some investigation I found that this issue is caused by a problem with IT policy on the BES sever. On your BES, open your IT policy go into the section called “service exclusivity policy group” and make sure all the options are set to default. After that resend the IT policy and service books to the effected blackberry users and have them restart and this should resolve the issue."

Though I do not understand this answer and I do not know HOWTO perform its instructions. What it the BES and where is the IT policy or the "service exclusivity policy group"?  

Best regards and thanks 

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry does not create an Email (gmail) new icon

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

If you are presently on BES, then you would likley know it...BES is BlackBerry Enterprise Solution, designed for corporate entities to manage multiple company-affiliated BBs. If you are not affiliated with any such entity, then you likely are not on BES, and as such that solution may not apply to you.

Unless -- is it possible that your BB was ever associated with a BES environment? If so, then there could well be a latent IT policy that was not properly cleansed from the device when it was separated from that BES system...and is now causing you difficulties. Please check this:

• KB30076 How to check for an IT Policy on a BlackBerry smartphone

If there is indeed an IT Policy on your BB, then that could well be the cause of your issue. But, since you are not now using BES, you still can't have done what that recommendation you found requires -- only the BES admin can do that, and you have no access to that person. Rather, you would need to cleanse your BB completely of the IT Policy and related Enterprise things.

If this applies to you (that there is an IT Policy), then please begin with reviewing the Backup link in my auto-sig on this post...you will need ALL of that in order to proceed, as the remedy will wipe your BB completely clean, and you will need to be able reconfigure it, restore your critical data, and reinstall all of your desired app.

If neither of those apply to you, then, with a strong carrier network signal (e.g., not merely WiFi), I suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Delete and Resend Service Books (pre-BB10 devices only)

• KB05000Delete the service book for the BlackBerry Internet Service email account from the BlackBerry smartphone
  • If you have no CMIME entry, then skip the deletion
  • KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Reboot

• Pre-BB10 Devices ONLY. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes.
  • BB10 Devices. Hold the top button down until the counter reaches zero. Wait for the device to be fully shut down (e.g., nothing at all displayed on the screen, no LED lights, etc.). Hold the top button until the red LED is lit. Wait through the full boot-up process. IF this fails, you can attempt the battery-pull method above, but it is normally NOT recommended unless nothing else works.
  • See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you! If not, then you should try deleting and re-adding your configurations for the affected email accounts. Otherwise, you should contact your mobile service provider for formal support.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

What a wonderful answer. Thank you very much my friend. 

Well, since this is a new blackberry, that was never associated with BES I guess all the above-mentioned BES explanations will not be so relevant for me.

So... I have followed your wonderful 3 steps final instruction. I don't use BB10. I have deleted and resent servicebook, waited for the activation message to come, and rebooted (waited for 5 minutes before powered up).

And still... Email works great, though only through the General Messages Folder. No separate email icon.

I must say that  I have used "switch device" through blackberry desktop, and switched from bb9780 to bb9900. But I guess that's not so relevant now after I have already deleted service book and re-sent it and rebooted, etc.

Although it did not work I really - really - appreciate the effort. I guess there's nothing to do anymore and I'll have to settle with the Messages general folder... 

Hall of Famer II

EphAC wrote:

Well, since this is a new blackberry, that was never associated with BES I guess all the above-mentioned BES explanations will not be so relevant for me.

Actually, please do check for a latent IT Policy. Even though this BB is "new", it would not be the first time of a device which the user believes to be "new" having been previously activated...

EphAC wrote:

So... I have followed your wonderful 3 steps final instruction. I don't use BB10. I have deleted and resent servicebook, waited for the activation message to come, and rebooted (waited for 5 minutes before powered up).

Wait...did you skip step 1 (Register HRT) above? From your words, I cannot be certain. Those three steps all intended to be carried out, in order, with proper completion of any step before proceeding to the next one. If you skipped step 1, then that may have invalidated the actions of steps 2 and 3.

Also, in re-reading your posts, I'm not quite sure concerning the proper selections for the separate icons...the methodology changes with different OS levels, and I've no way to know what your old and new OS levels are. Hence...

By default, all messages (email, SMS, BBM, etc.) are put into the main Messages icon/app. Some prefer this "unified messages" approach, others prefer to separate things. Fortunately, the BB provides the ability to split things out according to your desires.

On older OS levels (e.g., within and less than the OS5 level), there was very little control over this split...basically, just being able to split SMS/MMS out of Messages to an icon of their own (controlled by one of the Options settings within the Messages app). But, with later OS levels, more fine controls were provided:

For BES users, your BES Admin can push a BES-only email icon to your device. This solution is free, but must be conducted at the BES server, and will affect all users on that BES server.

• KB15003 How to create a separate icon on the BlackBerry smartphone for only BlackBerry Enterprise Server messages

If your device OS level (starting within OS5 and above) has the option, you can dictate what shows in Messages:

• Homescreen > Messages > blackberry_logo.jpg > Options > (Main Message List Settings) or (Inbox Settings) or (Inbox Management)
  • Uncheck what you want to suppress from Messages, enabling a separate icon for those you uncheck

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Okay my friend, it is getting way too much complicated for me. (and, again, thanks for all the effort)

1. I do know how to check for a latent IT Policy. I do not know what it is or where it is. I'm a private user of Blackberry, has not support (but the support I get here). When you say 'check for a latent IT Policy', not only i dont know how to check it, but i dont even know what it is. 

2. I had to skip step 1 because it was relevant only for bb10. I have an OS7. 

3. I dont know what is an OS LEVEL. I do know that my last OS was 6 (the one that comes with bb9780) and current OS is 7 (the one that comes with bb9900).

4. I know how to separate all other messages (such as text messages, blackberry notifications and whatsapp etc)  from the General message folder. (as your showed, sir: Homescreen > Messages > blackberry_logo.jpg > Options > (Main Message List Settings) or (Inbox Settings) or (Inbox Management)).

Though i do not know how to create a different and a separate dedicated mail folder like i had in my os5 (bb9700), and OS6 (bb9780). The difference between these two type of folders is significant.  Messages folder - even if fully separated from all other messages but emails - is not the same as a dedicated Mail folder. 

5. I dont think i am a BES user. Again, im a private user. 

Thank you sir. 

New Contributor

By the way, sir.

I have just noticed that the instructions for step 1 on 0S7 were mentioned below. So, I repeated the whole process (all the steps now 1-3) and rebooted device by pulling battery out. And again, no Mail folder but only a general messages folder (who works fine though do not create an Email Icon). 

I really do not understand this.....

Could it be related with a Gmail Pluggin for blackberry ?

Could it be related to the theme IM using? (BB07 default theme).

A point worth mentioning is that when I define ANOTHER email on the device (meaning: 2 mail boxes) it suddenly create two dedicated mail folders (one for each mail). But, when I delete the un-used mail, It deletes automatically the separate mail folder of my real-and-used mail. Meaning: only when I define two mail folders, it will create two separate mail folders (besides the general message folder). Though when deleting 1 mail, it will delete the other and re-direct it to the general message folder.

Thanks again.

Hall of Famer II

EphAC wrote:

1. I do know how to check for a latent IT Policy. I do not know what it is or where it is. I'm a private user of Blackberry, has not support (but the support I get here). When you say 'check for a latent IT Policy', not only i dont know how to check it, but i dont even know what it is. 

In post 2 above, I provided you a link to a KB article with exact instructions as to how to check for an IT Policy that might be the cause of your issues. Did you not open and read that KB?

EphAC wrote:

2. I had to skip step 1 because it was relevant only for bb10. I have an OS7. 

Wrong...please re-read the instructions, step 1 is relevant to both BB10 as well as legacy BB OS levels.

EphAC wrote:

3. I dont know what is an OS LEVEL. I do know that my last OS was 6 (the one that comes with bb9780) and current OS is 7 (the one that comes with bb9900). 

KB23393 How to check the model number and version of installed BlackBerry device software on a BlackBerry smartphone

EphAC wrote:

4. I know how to separate all other messages (such as text messages, blackberry notifications and whatsapp etc)  from the General message folder. (as your showed, sir: Homescreen > Messages > blackberry_logo.jpg > Options > (Main Message List Settings) or (Inbox Settings) or (Inbox Management)).

Though i do not know how to create a different and a separate dedicated mail folder like i had in my os5 (bb9700), and OS6 (bb9780). The difference between these two type of folders is significant.  Messages folder - even if fully separated from all other messages but emails - is not the same as a dedicated Mail folder. 

I too understand the difference. And the methods provided are the methods for causing your BB to reflect a separate icon for your email, separating out those messages from the Main Messages list and showing them only in that separate icon. But, for whatever reason, your's will not do so...I do not know why, since I cannot see your device and have only your words to guide me.

EphAC wrote:

5. I dont think i am a BES user. Again, im a private user. 

I understand, but that latent IT Policy, if it exists, could be the cause of your issues.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

OH MY GOD. You are going to kill me.....

I've solved the problem.....

Home Screen -> (blackberry button) -> Marking with "v" "Show All Icons" -> Pointing at the Mail box (that suddenly appeared) and "Unhide Icon".

Hall of Famer II

EphAC wrote:

By the way, sir.

I have just noticed that the instructions for step 1 on 0S7 were mentioned below. So, I repeated the whole process (all the steps now 1-3) and rebooted device by pulling battery out. And again, no Mail folder but only a general messages folder (who works fine though do not create an Email Icon). 

I really do not understand this.....

Could it be related with a Gmail Pluggin for blackberry ?

Could it be related to the theme IM using? (BB07 default theme).

A point worth mentioning is that when I define ANOTHER email on the device (meaning: 2 mail boxes) it suddenly create two dedicated mail folders (one for each mail). But, when I delete the un-used mail, It deletes automatically the separate mail folder of my real-and-used mail. Meaning: only when I define two mail folders, it will create two separate mail folders (besides the general message folder). Though when deleting 1 mail, it will delete the other and re-direct it to the general message folder.

Thanks again.

Something very odd is going on with your device, and I am not able to understand based on what you report. I therefore recommend that you seek formal in-person support from whatever your formal support entity is. That may be your original place of purchase, an authorized service center, or your mobile service provider -- it all varies by region and issue, but when you obtained your device you should have been informed what your formal support options are. I recommend you seek that out now.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Hall of Famer II

EphAC wrote:

OH MY GOD. You are going to kill me.....

I've solved the problem.....

Home Screen -> (blackberry button) -> Marking with "v" "Show All Icons" -> Pointing at the Mail box (that suddenly appeared) and "Unhide Icon".

Well I'm glad you figured it out...yes, hiding icons from yourself can indeed cause things to appear to not be working correctly...

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates