Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
garyusab
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700

Blackberry freezing !

This started a while ago but it wasn't a problem until now. My trackpad makes my phone freeze ! When my phone comes on after a reboot I can't use my trackpad otherwize the phone will freezes and stop working. I really need help because its becoming really frustrating. Yes I've tried taking out the battrie, sim and SD card but still no result ! Please help.
Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012
My Device: Curve

Re: Blackberry freezing !

Hi garyusab

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Forums

Sometime a bad behaving application can create the same issue as you are having , As it happen a while ago so think carefully if you had Installed any new application or any Theme or wallpaper if you have then uninstall those and see if that help in resolving your issue.

If on normal mode your device won't allow to uninstall those then start your device on safe mode and then Uninstall those from Options > Device > Application Management  > Delete those apps.

KB17877How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

Please try it and let us know of your progress.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jaime_vazquez
My Device: Bold 9700

Thank you for the KB article!  :Clap:

My Bold 9700 was also "frozen" (or rather, the trackpad was). All of the bottons worked normally, but the trackpad would not move to change any selections. The trackpad button itself worked when pressed, depending on what was the selection it was stuck on.

It would work (unfreeze) , for a time, if I powered off/powered on using the power button.  After a while even that failed and resorted to taking out the battery, waiting a short span, and reinserting/rebooting the phone.  After less than a day, even that was failing.

All of this started after updating the OS on the phone to 6.0 (currently bundle 2949).

My phone is now in "Safe" mode and it is operating normally.  Can you tell me what sort of functions are not available when operating in this mode? 

The phone has had only a single App installed, the VersiSign VIP app. It too is operational in Safe mode, thank goodness!

Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012

Hi jaime_vazquez

Regarding your issues with your Bold 9700 , my first advice will to disable Memory Cleaner if you have enabled it ,Check at  Options > Security > Memory Cleaner, Disable that function on your device . It can cause freezing and clocking.

Secondly as you're  running OS 6 on your device can you reconsider installing OS5 ! OS 6 uses a lot of memory then OS5 and Bold 9700 don't have enough memory to run multiple apps or Tabs at a time , if you do that your device device will freeze constantly.If you search a bit then you will notice that most user who installed OS6 on there Bold 9700 finally had to downgrade to OS 5 because of those constant issues.

So let us know what you decide. 

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jaime_vazquez
My Device: Bold 9700

I have downloaded just a single app to this phone. All else is what came with the software load.

A check of the phone shows it to have 67MB of free space. I would think that to be more than sufficient for few apps I think are active.  Memory Cleaner has been disabled all this time and I do not remember it ever being enabled by me. Is there a way to display what apps are currently running and what memory foot print they are using?

So, if I do downgrade to OS 5, what will be affected?  I must maintain the downloaded app in its current running condition. Will it be affected in any manner? 

I have performed multiple FULL backups of the device.  Will a restore bring back my app?

Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012

Hi jaime_vazquez

Currently you have some free space but not enough , you have to reboot your device on a regular basis to recover your device memory and you can't install much apps with this free space . If you install OS5 it will increase the free space allowing you to add some apps and also your device will run much smoother and will get a good device response .

Regarding your trackpad, I gone through your post on another thread where you mentioned about your trackpad, I think you may have to replace your device trackpad which will fix this issue . When it is fixed you can downgrad it to OS5 for maximum performance.

Regarding your Backups , If you done a full backup then it will allow you to restore your applications and datas whatever you need .No problem in that. Let us know if you have any questions.

Please use plain text.
dimchri
My Device: BOLD 9700

I had the same problem after updating my version 6 bundle in my 9700 bold... The phone was freezing every 20-30 minutes...but actually the problem was not the update... :No:

The problem was that i was using for desktop a big picture file which was stored in the media card !!!! and  I found it after changing 2-3 phones and after spending 5 days of searching around ...

Now it works very fast ...

Please use plain text.