Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
Twe3k
My Device: Bold 9000
Accepted Solution

Blackberry wont allow apps to connect to internet.

Hey!

I have the Bold 9000, and I have installed Whatsapp on it, 

When my phone starts up, I get the message: "The application Whatsapp has attempted to open an external connection which is not allowed by your IT policy."

I have tried to change the permissions for Whatsapp, but some of them are greyed-out (The ones that are greyed out are: Server Network, Internet, Input Simulation, Browser Filtering, and Security Timer Reset)

Does anyone know how to fix this?

New Contributor
Twe3k

Re: Blackberry wont allow apps to connect to internet.

Oh yeah, I should also add that my blackberry doesn't connect to the internet at all unless I'm using WiFi.

And BBM still works fine.

Elite II
prince2012
My Device: Curve

Hello Twe3k

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Forums

Changing the application permission for whatsapp will help .

Twe3k wrote:

When my phone starts up, I get the message: "The application Whatsapp has attempted to open an external connection which is not allowed by your IT policy."

The message clearly indicate that you have some IT policy enabled on your device which will not allow those application .

Can you confirm if your device is a personal or a company phone ! If it's a Company phone you need to consult with your IT helpdesk to confirm if they allow there employee to use such applications 

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor
Twe3k

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately, I am not able to change the application permissions, as some of them are greyed-out on "deny" and I don't know how to fix this.

And this is a personal phone.

Elite II
prince2012

You're able to use BBM over wifi , but not internet . Do you have a data plan which allow you to browse Internet over your mobile network .

If it's a personal device , did you bought it new or a used device .

let us know.

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor
Twe3k

I can use BBM all the time, regardless of wifi. However, I cannot connect to the internet with my browser without WiFi. My data plan does allow me to browse internet over my mobile network.

It is a used device, and I don't know the person who had it before me.

Elite II
prince2012

Hi there,

Then I think there is an IT policy already enabled on your device which is not allowing those features , So to resolve your issue first do a backup of your device using Desktop Software or refer to this Article How To Backup Your BlackBerry 

Once you have your Backup follow this Knowledge Base and reset it to factory setting , it will disable or remove any IT policy within your device :

KB31291 :  How to reset a BlackBerry smartphone to factory settings using BlackBerry Desktop Software

After a reset use your own BlackBerry ID , and while restoring your backup choose a selective restore . Restore only your Contacts , calender , etc don't perform a full restore otherwise those IT policies that you removed may re- associate and you have to perform those steps again. Don't restore any application , Install a fresh copies of each from BlackBerry world .

Try it and let us know.

New Contributor
Twe3k

Thanks a lot for the help prince, it worked!

Elite II
prince2012

Hello Twe3k

You are most welcome .. Enjoy your BlackBerry :smileyhappy:

Cheers !