Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
Bold_4_9900
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900

Bold 4 Lockup

Hello everyone,

I face this issue most of the times,my Bold 4 at times lockups and wont respond to any keys no matter its the one top of the phone or unlock key,not that the keys are damaged or in a bad condition but happens a lot and when on idle mode i can see it freeze no matter what i am using.I dont have all the apps in the world installed,just basics like we chat,whats app,BBM,flashlight,screenmuncher,snap secure,restart me and application resource monitor.I had an antivirus earlier but was suggested to remove it as someone in the threads told me that Blackberry seldom has a virus related issue,how can i fix this and also how can i view my previous posts that i made in general support forums.

Thanks & Regards

Shayak Munshi
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Bold 4 Lockup

Hello!

I recommend that you attempt to boot into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, see what happens.

If the behavior ceases, then think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

But if the behavior continues in Safe Mode, then you may need to consider more drastic actions -- WIPE, OS Reload, BBSAK Wipe/Reload, and the "Bare Bones" OS Reload Process. To prepare, you should be sure that you have a full backup to your PC...please review the Backup link in my auto-sig on this post for instructions.

You may also need the use of these tricks:

Bold_4_9900 wrote:
how can i view my previous posts that i made in general support forums.

You can always find your own posts here:

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
Bold_4_9900

Thanks for the reply,is there quicker and shorter way 2 have this resolved in shortest.Any body else who would like to promote.
Shayak Munshi
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

I'm not sure what can be quicker than booting into Safe Mode and seeing if the behavior presents or not...that should take maybe 5 minutes for the boot up, and then waiting however long for the behavior either to present or you to determine that it won't present. At which point your next steps will be understood.

There are quicker methods...they are quite destructive to all of your BB functions and data, however. If you simply want to go that route, then you don't bother with the Safe Mode diagnostic and instead proceed directly to the WIPE and/or OS Reload. Of course, if you simply restore everything you have (all of your apps and data), and the behavior happens again, then you will have gone through all of that for nothing.

But, it's your choice...all I can do is recommend, you choose your own path.

Good luck.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
Bold_4_9900

Now I did boot the phone in safe mode as you suggested as per KB I'd 17877 so initially my phone was really behaving slow and sluggish but now seems to be fine.I haven't installed anything new like themes music or any app.The phone seems to be running fine in safe mode.So what's next for me and also is it safe for my Blackberry to have it run on safe mode everytime boot it up,Also the plug sign showed in beggining when the phone was being charged,unplugged nd replugged and the thunderbolt sign was there till the phone fully charged.Is there a way to charge it quickly or do I need 2 wait for hrs before it fully charges.
Shayak Munshi
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Bold_4_9900 wrote:
Now I did

Bold_4_9900 wrote:
Now I did boot the phone in safe mode as you suggested as per KB I'd 17877 so initially my phone was really behaving slow and sluggish but now seems to be fine.I haven't installed anything new like themes music or any app.The phone seems to be running fine in safe mode.So what's next for me and also is it safe for my Blackberry to have it run on safe mode everytime boot it up,

Safe Mode is a diagnostic tool only, not something to be used for normal operations. What this reveals is that some 3rd party or add-on app is the cause of your issues. Which one it is requires you to remember what you have most recently installed and/or updated on your BB. You would then go in reverse order:

1. While in Safe Mode, remove the most recently installed/updated 3rd party/add-on app
  2. Boot back into normal mode
  3. See what happens
    • If all runs fine, then you know the culprit
    • If it still runs sluggishly, reboot back into Safe Mode and return to step 1, repeating until you figure out which app is the cause of the issues

Bold_4_9900 wrote:
and also is it safe for my Blackberry to have it run on safe mode everytime boot it up,Also the plug sign showed in beggining when the phone was being charged,unplugged nd replugged and the thunderbolt sign was there till the phone fully charged.Is there a way to charge it quickly or do I need 2 wait for hrs before it fully charges.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
Bold_4_9900

All my apps are installed from Blackberry app world,none of them have been installed from any other source.No upgrades have been installed.What you suggest and also my other half of question remained un-answered? Can I have that answered that please.Thanks.
Shayak Munshi
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Bold_4_9900 wrote:
All my apps are installed from Blackberry app world,none of them have been installed from any other source.No upgrades have been installed.What you suggest

The source of the apps is irrelevant...anything can become corrupt. I recommend exactly what I've already stated.

Bold_4_9900 wrote:
and also my other half of question remained un-answered? Can I have that answered that please.Thanks.

Ummm...let me look back...oops! Somehow my reply got deleted...my mistake I'm sure...let me try again...

Bold_4_9900 wrote:
Also the plug sign showed in beggining when the phone was being charged,unplugged nd replugged and the thunderbolt sign was there till the phone fully charged.Is there a way to charge it quickly or do I need 2 wait for hrs before it fully charges.

No one can predict how long it will take you to recharge. It varies based on the level of depletion when you begin to charge coupled with the on-device activity (phone calls, web browsing, playing a game, etc.) while charging. It will take however long it takes based on all of that, which no one can predict. It is not required to fully charge every time...you can stop it mid-way if you need to for some reason. You can also "top up" however often you want to. These newer charging capabilities and battery technologies do not suffer the same issues as older ones did. You should. however, avoid ever fully draining the battery...that can actually damage it.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates