Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

usherlincoln
My Device: Not Specified

Bold 9000 - OS5 Update & Application Memory

Hi all, 

Signed up to the forum just for help resolving this issue.  I'm currently running OS4.6, trying to update to OS5.  I know that the 9000 application memory is SO limited that one has to remove all applications before attempting the update.

So here I am, a completely blank BB Bold, no applications, photos, texts, contacts, etc.  I still receive the error message on BB DTM that says I need to remove another 3mb of data before I can continue with the update - but there is literally nothing else I can remove.  Any thoughts?

I'm running DTM on a Mac - I hear that may be cause for some problems as well?  Any help you can send my way is certainly appreciated.  Many thanks.

New Contributor
stevestrsbb

Re: Bold 9000 - OS5 Update & Application Memory

Don't waste your time with 5.0 on your 9000. Downgrade back to 4.6. 5.0 on a blackberry 9000 is a total waste of time and is not really compatible with this phone. Should never have been available for the Bold 9000. BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.6.0.519 (Multilanguage) Package Version: 4.6.0.519 Consisting of: * Applications: 4.6.0.304 * Software Platform: 4.0.0.247 * File name: 9000M_PBr4.6.0_rel519_PL4.0.0.247_A4.6.0.304_AT_amp_T.exe * File size: 96.79MB Note: The Software Platform and Applications version numbers can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld. * Download Software https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/contactFormPreload.do?code=577BCC914F9E55D5E4E4F82F9F00E7D4&dl=...
BeautifullyBOLD

I am having the exact same problem and getting the 

same message.....

Did you figure out how to get it to work?

Forums Veteran I
Raelic
My Device: Bold 9900, Playbook , HS-700 headset

Hiya!

How much memory do you have free on your device? Do a battery pull>options>status. Post your file free please.

You should have enough memory as the download sizes are; v4.6.0.519 (Multilanguage) is 96.79MB and  v5.0.0.1385 (Multilanguage) is 125.59MB. So not much different in reality. The Bold 9000 has 1GB onboard memory so you should have more than enough memory (Curve 8310 only has 64 MB onboard so your lucky there).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1). Please thank those who help you by clicking the Like Button beside the 'Reply' button.
2). If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution" on the correct post!
3). Remember to have fun! We are all in this together!
4). Follow me on Follow Raelic1337 on Twitter

New Contributor
kahanu
My Device: Torch 9810

You say the Bold 9000 has 1GB local memory?  Mine doesn't.  It says it has 128MB.  How do I get more local memory on my phone?  There is little room for apps.

Thanks.

Forums Veteran I
Raelic

Is that free memory? Or total? Keep in mind that your OS takes a decent chunk of your total onboard memory, also your harddrive is split up and each function is allocated a chunk of it. What is remaining is your available app memory. There is no way to increase this. BUT your current OS will be overwritten with the new OS. So you dont need the full file size free.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1). Please thank those who help you by clicking the Like Button beside the 'Reply' button.
2). If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution" on the correct post!

warrenliu

Hi all,

this issue has been driving me insane as well as my bold keeps on getting the clock icon even 15 mins of operation after a batt pull reset. This only happened after I bricked my bold by attempting to do a OS update on the Mac DTM ver 1.01 i think. The update process of a few core components only frozed and I had to go on a windows machine to reload the OS.

After that reload, I noticed that out of 127 megs, only 30 megs was available but the core os and apps are roughly 70 megs total for os5. so where did the 27 megs go? I only recently notice that the core os was roughly 27 megs in size. I guessed an archive of the os must be stored in the app memory to enable reset to factory or something and I saw someone mention it in another forum post as I was searching for a way to recover that.

stupid stupid design.

if not for the bbm, i'd have switched to the iphone ages ago.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

there is only 128 meg of app memory, the 1 gig is for storage and archive of apps (knot delete)

There is no way to increase the memory.

4.6 does have more free memory than 5.0. your choice if you want to upgrade.

there are some tools to shrink the OS a bit but you might only gain about 10 more meg after doing so.

http://www.theiexplorers.com/bb/Shrink-A-OS.zip

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Forums Veteran I
Raelic

Nice find Knotty!

Shute
My Device: Bold 9000

Hi

I can't update my Blackberry Bold 9000.  It gives me an error about the application memory.  I am using Win7 on laptop and my phone is vodacom.

Did someone find a solution to this maybe?

Thanks

Danelle