Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
mickeyw1875
My Device: Not Specified

Bold 9000 key to unlock issues?

Blackberry Bold 9000

OS version 5.0.0.592

Platform 5.2.0.57

Vodafone

After having several issues with my Blackberry and deciding to back it up before requesting an exchange, I was informed by the desktop manager that I needed to update my software. Thinking this may solve some of the signal issues that I had (it has solved them so far, although for how long remains to be seen).

Anyway, the main issue I now have is that the unlock key is now the mute button which is extremely unresponsive on my Bold and I am lucky if it unlocks my phone at all.

Is there anyway that I can change which button unlocks the phone?

Thanks 

Mike

Please use plain text.
cdhewlett
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9000

Re: Bold 9000 key to unlock issues?

If you go to options > screen/keyboard > Left Side/Right Side Convenience key opens:, you can change it to make either of those buttons the lock keyboard. It hasn't been an issue for me at all with the lock and unlock keys because i use the left key for locking the keyboard considering i never used the voice control function.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
McGhie33
My Device: Blackberry 8800

[ Edited ]

I'm having the same problem, I have not problem locking the keyboard, but the mute button doesnt unlock it anymore...

Hopefully theres a way to fix this since I like to lock my phone to stop from pocket dialing, also is there a way to put it on standby, liked that on my old BB but dont seem to have it on this one

Please use plain text.
vivekdabhi

hey i have the same blackberry bold 9000 vodafone with OS 5.0.0.592 and facing same problem of unlocking keypad can anybody give me the solution for thisproblem

Please use plain text.
markfeinberg

Hi all,

I am having the same problem.  Locking the phone is not an issue, as they 'k' key still works to lock it (if you have 'dial from homescreen' deactivated). 

ISSUE: However since upgrading to v5.0.0.822 the only way to unlock the phone is using the Mute key, and my mute key is a little finicky and will likely just get worse.  Is there any way to get back the "*+call button" unlock combo?  or change unlock to something other than the mute key?   I'm afraid I may have to turn off all locking capabilities if my mute button gets much worse and that will lead to a lot of pocket dialing.

This is a Bold 9000 on AT&T with OS v5.0.0.822

Thanks for you help in advance!

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Raelic
My Device: Bold 9900, Playbook , HS-700 headset

Hey all,

I believe cdhewlett has resolved this, scroll up and read what was posted. See if that helps

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1). Please thank those who help you by clicking the Like Button beside the 'Reply' button.
2). If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution" on the correct post!
3). Remember to have fun! We are all in this together!
4). Follow me on Follow Raelic1337 on Twitter

Please use plain text.
Visitor
OpenReadingFram
My Device: Bold 9000

unfortunately the 'fix' posted by cdhewlett doesnt work as it only changes the button which locks the phone, the OS still requires you use the 'mute' key to UNLOCK it which is the issue here. I'm having the same problem since upgrading my OS and seriously considering going back to 4.6 :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
James1064

HI, 

Just installed v5 of the OS and having the same problem.

The mute button is not responding to the unlock request. Once locked i have to connect to desktop manager to unlock, big pain.

As an enhancement, it would be good if you could select your own unlock key sequence.

Please use plain text.
James1064

Found a work around:

set a password on the device which will also restore the lock icon. you will then need to enter the password everytime you unlock the phone.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
gregdean
My Device: BB Bold 9000

Been having the same issues for a while. I use a short easy password, 1234 or password, just as a way to lock the keyboard, and you dont need to use the mute key to unlock it. Only problem is "Emergency Call" is an available option while locked and there have been a few pocket dials to 911 by accident.

Does anyone have any advice on how to unlock my 9000 without a password or the mute key (or can you turn off emergency call as an option when locked)?

Please use plain text.