Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
captanham
My Device: Bold 9700 (os6)

Bold 9700 OS6 (6.0) Upgrade issues (functionality post upgrade)

[ Edited ]

I did the latest 5.0 upgrade, and then found the os6 upgrade online. Having just messed with a 9800 at the store, I figured I'd try it. 

The new setup is fun. Although I REALLY wish there were an option to edit the different menus you can scroll through (having all, favorites, AND frequent gets kind of redundant and just clutters up the space) 

Loving the new browser and the way SMS/mms is setup. 

HOW EVER, i have noticed that there are many things functionally which i've lost, or that don't work. I searched on here and don't see many posts about 6.0 software mentioning these, so i'll make a list and see who else has these problems

1. No Power off. 

This one i did see mentioned, it wouldn't be such a nuisance were it not for the other issues to follow, because i wouldn't need to power off my device. You have to do a battery pull to actually restart the phone. 

2. SMS messages will not send.

My internet, apps, and phone will all function just fine (connected to wifi, fwiw) but my sms messages just have a red box (the waiting box). This is easily fixed by shutting off the antenna and turning it back on, but it's a nuisance. Luckily, the connections are easily accessible on the new page. So it's made a little easier than it would have been previously. 

3. There is no longer an MMS resize option. 

One of the things i liked about the 9700 was the option to resize an image before sending it. Helped to make things faster and worked better for friends who had older phones. The OS6 nolonger asks you to resize images for MMS, but will still offer the option when emailing. 

4. Lagging (sometimes crashing) when reviewing MMS messages. 

So far i have only had this happen when reviewing an image for the second time. Everything i have received opens up without an issue once, but when i go back, it freezes, blacks out, or crashes the phone completely (welcome battery pull via #1)

5. FB messages get god mode. 

lol, thought i'd be funny on that one. In my 5.0 software (build 5xx something?) i had this issue. Did the wireless update and it fixed everything (as well as removing that annoying alt+delete sms issue).. but when i went to the 6.0 software, my FB messages once again became impossible to delete. This time, somehow, i got an email stuck on there from april, which had long since been deleted online. Talk about back from the dead. 

6. Lock feature functionality difference

I have my phone set to auto password @ 1 min. Mainly to save some butt dialing. I was used to my 5.0 software putting up the password with the upper left corner button. Now they seem to be completely separate things. If i hit that button before throwing it in my pocket, it's locked, but not passworded. If i wait a minute, it does both. Then i have to hit the upper left corner, THEN browse to the unlock.. Seems minor (and it is) but it's an annoyance none the less. The other bad part about this is that if i hit that unlock button before the minute comes up (while in my pocket) i'm free to butt dial again, which has happened about 10 times since my 6.0 upgrade and NEVER before the upgrade. This wouldn't be such a big deal if i had just got this phone, it would be something i would shrug off. But having had BETTER functionality before an upgrade, i'm upset that they made the change for the worse. 

7.0 Highlighting lost on emails and SMS messages. 

When inside an SMS, it initially highlighted individual messages as i scrolled up. This stopped and didn't come back. Now i can't see which message i'm on to forward, save, delete or whatever. 

Besides these issues, the new OS, looks better, does internet pages MUCH better, and has a lot of really neat features. Phone looks better, the universal search is awesome. And i love it... But it seems like a lot of these come with some regression in functionality. Mostly in the MMS department. Plus i would REALLY like to be able to change the "folders" that you can slide through and leave it with just the "all" and the media.

I searched and really only found discussion of number 1. I have the newest OS6 upgrade, having only done this update about a week ago. it's currently os 6.0 bundle 1202. I have FB, and pandora, but no other apps running, and only a few others downloaded (i'm not big on apps). I have two emails setup, which work fine. 

Post up fixes if you have them, or other issues you have. Maybe, if nothing else, this will show some of the things that need to be worked on for the next fix. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
PiotrJot
My Device: 9900 + PB 64GB + PB 16GB (for the rest of family :-D )

Re: Bold 9700 OS6 (6.0) Upgrade issues (functionality post upgrade)

Hello there,

Quite a nice post you wrote. But somehow I have an impression that you are missing one thing.

It is NOT an official release. All 3 versions of OS 6 for 9700 (.344, .358, and yesterday's leak of .380) are leaked versions, with no official support from RIM side. There are thousands of posts on the issues of leaked OS on the unofficial forums, going even deeper in the pros and cons.

Cheers,

Piotr

Please use plain text.
Contributor
NickFowler
My Device: bold 9700

Hi, i recently upgraded my bold 9700 to OS 6.

I found it worked fine for a few days then I noticed little thing going wrong that shouldn't. Like the battery draining lots quicker than normal and the little timer icon coming up in the middle of the screen every time I went to open SMS or contacts or virtually anything!

So I decided to downgrade back to the previous OS until the official release coming out.

If anyone got any clues when that'll be please share....

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
captanham
My Device: Bold 9700 (os6)

I thought this was an  unleaked version. I remember seeing a lot of leaked sites, but thought for some reason that i had downloaded this from the actual blackberry website. Maybe i'll have to browse some other forums and see what they have to say.

Thanks for the info.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
NickFowler

I don't think the official version will be out for a while. The new Bold 9780 has OS 6 as well as the new Torch BB phone. That's 1 reason why I don't think they'll release it because people will just upgrade their 9700 with OS 6 instead of buying a new 9780.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
utsav8888
My Device: RIM/9700

Hi,

I would like to know how shall i downgrade from OS 6.0 to OS 5.0???

Please use plain text.
alimclean
My Device: Not Specified

Hi, I am having the same issues with the software. Addititonal to what has been mentioned is that Ubertwitter freezes when u action a Reply, DM, or try to open any links.
Can somebody pls point me in the direction of how to downgrade from OS 6.0 to OS 5.0 pretty pls!!!!!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
NickFowler

just go to the home page of this site and just above where it says forums it says updates, click that. Then click where it says BlackBerry® Device Software v5.0, then on the next page click update today,  at the bottom of the next page it will say update, have your BB connect and click that. It should search for updates and will tell you that your device is up to date. But there should be another option at the bottom that says view other versions, click that then check the box next to the one you want and click install at the bottom.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sammybillz
My Device: bold 9650

i noticed my bb restarts often,when it boots then i switch on the mobile network,and it want to change to edge,i notice it restarts and so on it goes on just like that.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sammybillz
My Device: bold 9650

Bold 9650 keeps restarting when mobile network is turned on

i noticed my bb restarts often,when it boots then i switch on the mobile network,and it want to change to edge,i notice it restarts and so on it goes on just like that.please help...

Please use plain text.