Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
birdybob2
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T Wireless
Accepted Solution

Bold 9700 keeps shutting down & drains battery!!

I'm new to this forum, so if this problem has been discussed & solved, I apologize. My Bold 9700 keeps dying/shutting down unexpectedly. It takes forever to get it to start back up (flashing red light).  Sometimes I even have to remove the battery to get it to react. When the loading bar finishes & the screen comes back on, the battery is completely dead, even though it was at least half full before this happened.  BTW, this happened several times with my old battery so I bought a new OEM battery.  It's happened twice since then.  Even stranger, when I was with a friend today, her Bold did exactly the same thing.  What's up? 

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Bold 9700 keeps shutting down & drains battery!!

Your phone is obviously having software issues.  As such, you should reload the OS to your phone.  Any other suggestion is just going to skirt the issue; you need to get the brains of your phone reloaded.

To do this, plug your phone in to your PC and open BlackBerry Desktop Software.  Click Device at the top of the software then Update.

If your phone won't connect to BDS, have a look at this article from RIM:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB10144  

Let us know if that helps you.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
birdybob2
My Carrier: AT&T Wireless

Thanks, Bill.  I upgraded the software & so far that seems to have done the trick. Slight learning curve on the new software tho :-)  I bought a new theme & it's fallen into a black hole. Think I read somewhere that with some carriers you can't change the theme. I'm with AT&T so that might be the problem. Otherwise I seem to be back in good shape! 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
SkullMurphy
My Carrier: Rogers

Hi Bill I am new to forums.  I have the same issues.  Phone worked great fora couple of years an then started shutting down>  I have reloaded and upgraded software to 6   originally had 5.     It did not correct the problem  reoccured a day later   The  difference that I may have is that i think that it has only happened whiie I am on the phone.  Any Ideas? Gary

Please use plain text.