Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

kristianh
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Telstra

Bold 9700 no key response to password request

My 9700 is prompting me to "Enter PIN code (3 left)" on start up as per usual but there is no key response when I attempt to input the code (i.e. no characters are shown on the screen, even if the screen looks entirely normal otherwise).

The device suggests that there is a "Code error" immediately following reboot, but doesn't specify an error code number.

I've switched it off/on again multiple times and have also removed/reinserted the battery for several reboots.

I am currently lost without my phone, contacts and calendar, so any advice would be very much appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Bold 9700 no key response to password request

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Oh my...you indeed are in trouble. It may be impossible to properly unlock your BB from the device interface. Therefore, I recommend you try the following things:

1) If you have ever before connected your BB to your PC and know how to enter the password via the PC keyboard, do so now. That will reset the counter and allow you to proceed.

2) If successful, make sure that you have a very current backup...if that's at all possible. If you don't have (or can't take) a current backup, then prepare your mind for losing all data that is presently on your BB.

3) You may have to attempt to boot your BB up in Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

4) At some point, you will need to reload your BB OS cleanly. Here's a procedure for that:

• KB03621 How to reload BlackBerry Device software and applications using BlackBerry Desktop Software

There may be other tricks to try, but let's see how these work out for you.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.