Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: bold 9700
My Carrier: blackberry

Bold 9700 not assigned to any phone company

What device software should I look for if my blackberry is not assigned to a carrier, when I turn it off/on it says blackberry instead a carrier's name. Then in the download site there is not an option to download software for this one.

Normally desktop manager show the option of "previous version" but not in this case. This one doesn't have any software available. It's actually running OS 6.0.

What can I do?

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Bold 9700 not assigned to any phone company

Hello,

The lack of a carrier "splash screen" is actually not at all relevant. All BBs are, when originally manufactured, assigned a hardware-encoded (and never changeable) VendorID, which matches to only one specific carrier in the world. Some of those carriers further have BlackBerry install their "splash screen" (also not ever changeable)...some do not. But the carrier splash screen existence or not is irrelevant. Rather, the actual VendorID is all that matters.

Further, there is no requirement to even use an OS package from the same carrier as the VendorID. But, if you do not override things, the VendorID is checked by the various update processes and only that carriers OS packages are sought out for your use...so, if the carrier that matches your VendorID only happens to support the specific OS that your BB is already running, then the automated processes would not be able to offer you anything else.

To override the automated processes, you download to your PC the OS package of your choice from the official download portal:

Then, after you install that to your PC (and you already first would have installed the Desktop Software), you delete the VENDOR.XML file(s)...this allows the update process to bypass the verification against your BBs VendorID, and enables you to install other carriers OS packages to your BB. The VENDOR.XML file(s) will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

If, however, you are on MAC, then you are limited to only your carriers (as per VendorID) sanctioned OS packages (the downloadable OS packages are not usable on MAC)...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction.

Hope that helps!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: bold 9700
My Carrier: blackberry

Deleted VENDOR file, installed a OS to the PC, but still not device software available. Is there a specific way to install an OS directly?

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

If you only deleted, as you say, one VENDOR.XML file (instead of two), that could be the problem. Further, if the order you stated is the order you did things in, then that as well would be the problem -- you delete the VENDOR.XML files AFTER you have installed the OS package to the PC, not before.

If you want to skip the Desktop Software, you can run the LOADER.EXE tool directly...it is located in the same folder as one of the VENDOR.XML files. But, it will fail the same way as the Desktop Software if things are not correct for it to function correctly.

Beyond the above, here are other reasons I can think of that the process would fail:

• The OS package is not for your exact model number BB
  • You have more than one OS package installed to your PC

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code