Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone
Accepted Solution

Bold 9700: nothing works with firmware 6, and everything but trackpad works on firmware 5

[ Edited ]

hello everybody. i'm new here but i really need your help. i've a bold 9700 since 2 years and i've installed the firmware 6 right when it was avaible.. it worked great until a few weeks ago.. without doing nothing the phone began to get mad, like turning off, scroll problems, and keyboard freeze.. like other times, i pulled the battery out but it didn't resolve the problems. so i tried to reinstall the firmware (6) but once i turned the phone on nothing worked. the keyboard, the trackpad, the lateral buttons nothing worked like never pressed, and the screen turned black like if you don't touch nothing for some seconds.. i tried to install a previous firmware (5) and magically all buttons started again to work... everything BUT the trackpad "OK"... the orizontal and vertical scroll works but the "OK" function (by pressing the trackpad) not. the battery life is very short, like 1 day, when before to have this problem it could last 3 days.. i think that itsn't an hardware problem, but a kind of virus or firmware fail. please helpppp!!

Elite II
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Re: Bold 9700: nothing works with firmware 6, and everything but trackpad works on firmware 5

Hi francesco_p

Welcome to BlackBerry Suport Forums

If you have BlackBerry® Bold 9700  then don't Install OS 6 on your device , remain on OS 5 it will stop device freezing and lagging.

Regarding your Trackpad issue please follow this Knowledge Base :

KB29640 : Trackpad ,trackball, or keyboard not working on a BlackBerry Smartphone .

You can try an OS reload as suggested , but most important after Reloading don't restore any application from your back to know if any application is the reason for this issue. Restore only your contacts, calaender entries.

If problem persist then it might be an hardware issue , and you may have to replace your trackpad,But FYI there are no such virus that can affect our BlackBerry and the problem you are currently having.

Good luck.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor

Re: Bold 9700: nothing works with firmware 6, and everything but trackpad works on firmware 5

thank you for your reply.. i have already done a reset without restoring nothing.. i tried the master reset, too..  i don't think that it's a trackpad failure... the scroll funcion works great.. i think that it would be a trackpad fail, the scroll shouldn't work too! and it should happen the same with every firmware.. but in my case, with every firmware happens something different.. any ideas?? thanks 

Elite II

Hi francesco_p

If problem appear again you can consider an OS reload ,Sometime a reset itself is not enough to resolve those Trackpad issues , reset never touches the OS it simply removes all user datas and application from within that device.And you can also consider downgrading your device OS to OS5, I know all Carriers have released OS6 for Bold 9700 , but if you search this forums or google you will find that most users finally have to downgrade to OS5 because of those constanr issues like device freezing and lagging , But the choice is your's if you want to remain on OS6 then please make sure not to Install too many application.

Good luck.

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor

thank you.. i have already reloaded OS many times and i have already installed firmware 5 because it's the only one that "works".. with firmware 5 everything works but trackpad "ok".. with firmware 6 nothing works.. like if all buttons were broken!!!

Elite II

Hi francesco_p

If you installed OS5 then its a good decision that you made,Regarding trackpad you can consider to boot your device on Safe Mode. If on safe mode it works then it might be because of any installed application which is causing this issue,then you can try deleting any third party apps that you consider might be responsible for this .

If even on Safe Mode you trackpad acts the same then I think you can consider replacing it .

KB17877How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

New Contributor

no way.. even in the safe mode the trackpad doesn't work... i will search for an replacement trackpad... but i'm scared it won't work even with a new one 'cause the fact that with the firmware 6 nothing works!!!!!! it's so strange!! 

Elite II

Hey francesco_p

I am sure the problem is within trackpad and replacing that will fix your issue , But don't go for OS6 remain on OS5 , it will allow you to install a few more apps or give some free space for your device , allow you to open multiple tabs and apps at the same time, mostly  you will get better device performance and response on OS5.

New Contributor

may you suggest me where to buy a new trackpad from a good website?

Elite II

Hi francesco_p

There are many who deals with those but you can try amazon.com  or ebay  but before placing any order please compare those price with other also.