Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
anjawunderlich
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Simyo

Bold 9780 - GPS not working at all

Hello. Can you help me? I have a Blackberry Bold 9780 with 6.0.0.668 (6.6.0.236) and GPS is not working. It is on for weeks now, we are outside very often and I never got a location, in the options under Location settings it says "Last Update: none". If I try manual update, it does not find a satellite. Position is always 0.0/0.0. GPS is on "Device GPS" and activated, "Location services" is on. I tried everything I could find, but it seems that GPS is just broken. Are there any things I can try? It is rather old, so no warranty. Can it be that the antenna has gotten loose? Is there a way to fix that?

Thank you

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
FrankieS
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: Bold 9780 - GPS not working at all

Hi anjawunderlich,

Welcome to the support community!
The GPS feature can be service provider controlled. Do you have a data plan with your mobile network provider? If so, have you verified with them that your plan supports GPS access?

If this is supported by your mobile network provider, can you also tell me if your BlackBerry Bold 9780 smartphone is activated on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server at work? Were any changes made to the BlackBerry smartphone around the time this feature stopped working?

I look forward to your response.

-FS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
anjawunderlich

Hello. thank you for the reply.

I was not aware that the GPS functionality has anything to do with the cellphone contract. This puzzles me a bit - does that mean that one could not use a blackberries GPS system for location if one does not have a SIM card installed?

I am not talking about maps or other GPS-based applications but the actual GPS location data itself (as can be accessed in the "Location" part of the device options).

If that is the case, then this is probably the issue as I do not have any blackberry services bought by my cellphone provider - I only use that connection for phone, SMS and occasionally to access the http internet. It is not logical that GPS, which is base don receiving signals from satellites, is only active when there is a cellphone connection - this defies in my eyes the purpose of GPS, which should allow me to track my position even if I am outside the range of cellphone service for example if used as navigation system for the car or hiking. But if this is some scheme that one basically has to pay additional money to have GPS activated in the phone, then of course it makes sense. Is that really the case - will GPS only work when the phone has a cellphone signal or will GPS functionality at the basic level only be remotely activated by paying an activation fee?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
anjawunderlich

[ Edited ]

Bump - can someone clarify if this is correct and GPS at a basic level (as in the data shown in the location setting submenu or when running diagnostics) is indeed dependent on a cellphone contract?

I checked for information I could find on this in community support of local smartphone users and what I got from them was that GPS functionality should not be locked by a provider, but the additonal options to increase location finding speed as well as GPS services like maps or navigation may require a different contract. Pure GPS functionality (getting the "raw data" from the options/location menu should still be possible, also the use of any apps that directly access GPS data, like GPS trackers or offline map and navigation systems. This was spoken in general about smartphones and blackberry devices though, not specifically about the Blackberry Bold...

Please use plain text.