Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
anjawunderlich
My Device: Bold 9780

Re: Bold 9780 - Keys sometimes not working (Keyboard and others)

Ok - I will try dissicating first with silica gel and then maybe do the data wipe. The main issue seems to be the trackpad which works in some of the applications but not in others and the lock-key which seems to get stuck at times. The other keys seem to work fine.

Contributor
anjawunderlich

Status update - dissicating it with silica gel did for 2 days not solve anything. The issues remain, including the selective nonfunctionality of keys depending on the user interface. Also it seems that consistently all keys and trackpad functions including side-keys like mute or lock keys stop working after a certain while. Like if I start an audio playback during commute, I can still turn volume up and down, but no other key works - I cannot stop or pause, mute is not working and no other key either after about 5-10 minutes the playback is running. Upon reboot it seems to be working again (selectively as mentioned before).

I will try to make that backup and software wipe when I have time as a last chance attempt to save it, but since I only got one person replying here, it seems that the issue is not common.

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Let me know how it goes. Wipe the data first and see how it works. If it still has the problem go back and wipe the 3rd party apps and see how it goes. If it still has the problem let me know and we'll try and OS reload after that.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor
anjawunderlich

Ok - I cannot wipe the device. Because the User interface of the security wipe is one of those that does not accept trackpad movements (I can navigate fine to get there). So all I can do in that menu is set the first checkmark. Is there a way to move down without the trackpad? Otherwise the only option I see is to do a total reset, e.g. entering the password 10 times wrong and let it do a total factory reset. Does that also reset the OS? Can i still restore my data from the backup I just made?

Thank you

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Entering password 10 times incorrectly will wipe all the data from the device, same as the security wipe option. It won't remove 3rd party apps and won't wipe or reset the OS. If you have a backup then it can't hurt to give that a try first.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor
anjawunderlich

Since the error seems to have fixed itself, though it was re-occuring occasionally, I did not proceed with wiping the device. I still dont know what the issue was. What I have found with activating all keyboard sounds possible is that the "lock" key seems to be pressed at random, sometimes continously. I think this may possibly block other keys, so I will try to fix this key according to a repair guide I found - basically opening the device and cleaning the key of dust, maybe carefully add some contact cleaning fluid if needed, in the worst case I have to deactivate the key.

Guru I
John_Clark

It will be back. The actual metal contacts are under a white sticker. Usually pulling that off will ruin the white sticker material and you won't be able to stick it back down again. I don't recommend what you're about to do but good luck!
Contributor
anjawunderlich

Well - I do not see much options than that. If I have to disable the key, then so be it, but as it is now it is disruption the use of the device and as usual with such devices, sending it in for a repair probably costs almost as much as buying a new one, so if the quick fix does not work, it makes more sense to get a new one that also does not have the other issues (like the GPS not working).