Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Regular Visitor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9780
My Carrier: China Mobile

Bold 9780 Wi-Fi issue and unable to access App World

I purchased my Bold 9780 in a BB approved store in Nigeria in October 2011. I came to China in December and registered for a BIS service via China Mobile. I've never been able to access App World in China without using a Wi-Fi connection which was okay by me because I'm only allowed 100Mb of data monthly.

Recently, my phone fell 1 foot onto the floor and got a white screen where I couldn't see anything (including who was calling or writing me messages). Every China Mobile refused to help fix it in Changsha (Hunan Province) China which is the city I'm in. I eventually took it to the computer/mobile phone market where they fix faulty electronics. The guy told me that I needed a new screen. I paid $60 for the new screen.

Ever since then, the screen works well except there are brown spots on the new screen that look like something is burnt behind the screen and my phone hardly ever connects to a Wi-Fi hotspot and when it does connect, the connection often drops.

Also, I haven't been able to access App World sometimes, it won't open and other times when I do get in to App World and try to download something, it begins the download but stops and says download failed after 5 seconds. However, a message always comes up before App World closes saying I need to connect to Wi-Fi to use App World because my data plan doesn't support it.

This is weird because I used to be able to access App World using Wi-Fi in this particular location (a coffee shop). Once App World exits, I see the Wi-Fi symbol showing that I'm connected to the Wi-Fi hotspot at the location with full Wi-Fi bars. In fact, it was the reason I started coming here: the Wi-Fi is fast here and has few people connected so, I get as much bandwidth as I want.

When I check "Service Status" in Manage connections, the BIS status says "Not connected" unless I'm using Wi-Fi in which case, the BIS status says Wi-Fi.

I've run a Wi-Fi daiagnostic but I don't know what to do with it. I've also tried registering the Host Routing Tables but that hasn't fixed the problem so I'm stuck but really need the Wi-Fi access and access to App World.

I need to know if it's a China Mobile problem or if the repair man did something wrong to it because visiting a China Mobile location is difficult because of the language barriar (English is my native language and I don't speak Chinese nor do I have any Chinese friends available to help because schools are in session). But if it's a China Mobile issue, I'll be willing to go there and spend the hour necessary (which was the amount of time it took to explain that I needed BIS service) to get them to understand the problem.

Please, could you tell me what's wrong with my phone or is it a China Mobile issue. Did the repair man mess something up? I can send you my PIN if that would help. Sorry for the long post....just wanted to include as much detail/information as possible. Thanks so much in advance.

Device: Bold 9780
Connection: Mobile Network
Mobile Status: Roaming
Provider: China Mobile
Coverage: EDGE
Blackberry Bundle 6.0
Version: V6.0.0.546
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: Bold 9780 Wi-Fi issue and unable to access App World

Hi tinucoker,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community.

I would advise contacting your wireless service provider again for assistance as network connectivity is carrier controlled.

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!