Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Orange

Bold 9780 - white screen.

Hi,

I have been a loyal BB user for years now, however I have suffered the same problem with the 9780 twice where the screen will go white. The first time the phone was replaced, however I have had problems getting this second one replaced as it is beyond 1 year since I bought it.

I would like to clarify, this isn't an issue with software. I have researched the problem and can see that several tens if not hundreds (or more) users are suffering the same problem of a shoddily manufactured ribbon cable connecting the screen to the board. I can be certain of this as the suggested 'workaround' remedy is to press firmly on the bottom right hand corner of the screen which allows temporary use of the phone. To be clear, everything works as normal, I can make and receive calls and, as long as I press on the screen, I can see with perfect quality everything I should.

Could I please be informed as to how BB could fix this for me under my 2 year warranty period. I know this is a simple fix (DIY suggests electrical tape around the cable), but I would like this done properly.

I am getting towards the end of my patience with BB, and if this is not dealt with, BB will be looking at another unhappy customer switching to another manufacturer.

I have seen several similar posts on here, as well as other forums and youtube videos with the same problem. Orange refuse to repair the problem for me (I have been arguing for a long long time) and say BB provide an online postal repair service. I know this is an issue with the manufacturing quality at the time of purchase and not from everyday use. The fact that the SAME problem occured within a few weeks of getting my original phone suggests an underlying problem that is not caused by general wear and tear.

I am unhappy that this is clearly a common issue that appears not to be being dealt with on the BB side.

Please could someone get back to me.

Thanks,

JB

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Bold 9780 - white screen.

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

As a user-to-user community, no one here can answer your question with any level of authority whatsoever. BlackBerry provides zero front line support to end users, including warranty...all support starts with the carriers, authorized resellers, and authorized service centers, all who can escalate cases into BlackBerry at no charge to the end user.

So, your escalation path is not here, in these forums. Rather, it is through your existing channels...even if they may have so far not been helpful, you have no free path by which to bypass them. You must escalate with and through them.

There is something called incident support, but it costs to just ask the initial question, since you are bypassing the contract you signed upon purchase. If you wish to investigate that, you can review it here:

There also might be some good reading here:

But do keep in mind that each warranty is a contract specifically between the seller of the device and the buyer. Since BlackBerry is not technically the seller, they are not involved, and the above discusses what they indeed do extend through the resellers...but the resellers can change what BlackBerry covers, and that would be contained within the original purchase documentation. Hence, it is appeal via that contract that is required, and the parties to the contract are the only ones who can be involved.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Orange

Hi sdgardne,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I understand and agree with a lot of what you say. There are a few things I'd like to bounce back though.

I do know that under the Sales of Goods Act (in the UK) it is the seller and not the manufacturer that is responsible for the product, so in this case I would also argue it'd be Orange and not BB. I argued this point with them endlessly only to have a bunch of idiots in store on the end of my verbal tirade grinning and telling me I was wrong. Great customer support. Let's face it, they probably had no idea what I was talking about. Upon escalating the problem with Orange, I was then told that they aren't classified as the seller as the phone is merely used as a hook to entice the user to buy the contract. They weren't technically selling me the phone, just selling me a contract that came with a brand new, shiny phone.

If that is the case, it seems completely ridiculous that the buyer has no sort of protection if neither party is accepting responsibility. If Orange are telling me this is the case, I would then argue that BB are responsible in providing the buyer the protection which is legally binding under the Sales of Goods Act.

Deviating from BB's issues onto Orange's (because I feel like a rant), I don't understand how Orange can tell me they only provide a 1 year warranty when under EU regulation, the minimum that must be provided is 2 years. If I have been unlawfully sold this contract, does that not give me grounds to pursue the matter?

Thanks,

JB

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

I don't know anything about your laws, so I can't know what applies there. But, from what you say, it does sound like Orange is simply trying to fob you off. If I were you, I'd be insisting on documentation of every communication...if you are in the shop in person, insist that they write down and sign every instruction, interpretation, and bit of information they are saying to you. I'd further be escalating very high up with Orange management. I'd also be reviewing my specific contractual documents to find the clauses that either support or refute what they are telling you. I'd further be researching various consumer protection agencies (either public, private, or perhaps with the press) to see what channels of appeal are available to me...I've actually heard stories here that just threatening to notify one of those can cause a carrier to change their minds and cooperate (of course, you do need to be contractually and legally "in the right"...and I can't help you there).

Again, I can't help you with interpreting what specific contracts or laws apply in your situation, but I do encourage you to gather as much formal information as possible as you proceed with this challenging problem. Lastly, if they indeed have unlawfully done anything, then you I would think certainly have grounds to sue...of course, you'd want the actual carrying out of that threat to be your last resort...but the threat itself (backed up with formal evidence) may well be sufficient.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code