Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
GeoffBeck
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9790 + Playbook
Accepted Solution

Bold 9790 - Update failed - App Error 200

I attempted today to update the software on my Bold 9790, something I have put off doing for sometime and now wish I had continued to put off.  The Software update is 7.1 Bundle 2494.  The update process carried out a backup then the install and then attempted to reboot - as soon as the reboot is complete a white screen appears with App Error 200 and a highlighted Reset - pressing the enter button just starts the reboot again and the same screen occurs each time.  How can I get my phone back?

There was a warning that disconnecting my phone or interrupting the process would make my phone unusable, but I have done neither.

Geoff
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Bold 9790 - Update failed - App Error 200

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Given your description, I'd guess that something went wrong with the update, and a clean reload is now needed to correct whatever the issue is. The simplest way is to, on a PC (you cannot do this on MAC):

1) Make sure you have a current and complete backup of your BB...you can find complete instructions via the link in my auto-sig below. (You likely already have this, since one was taken during the update...find the IPD/BBB file on your PC to be certain, it should have a date/time stamp around the time you were doing the failed update.)

2) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages

3) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

4) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:

• http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp
  • It is sorted first by carrier -- so if all you want are the OS levels your carrier supports, your search will be quick. However, some carriers are much slower than others to release updates. To truly seek out the most up-to-date OS package for your BB, you must dig through and find all carriers that support your specific model BB, and then compare the OS levels that they support.

5) Delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

6a) For changing your installed BB OS level (upgrade or downgrade), you can launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC.

6b) Or, for reloading your currently installed BB OS level as well as for changing it, bypass the Desktop Software and use LOADER.EXE directly, by proceeding to step 2 in this process:

If, during the processes of 6a or 6b, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue.

You may also want to investigate the use of BBSAK (bbsak.org) to perform the wipe it is capable of.

You may also want to try the "Bare Bones OS Reload Procedure" to attempt to narrow down the precise causal item:

1. Load your OS "bare bones"...if anything is optional, do not install it.
  2. If the behavior presents immediately, then try a different OS with step 1
  3. If the behavior does not immediately present, then run for as long as it takes for you to be sure that the behavior will not present.
  4. Add one thing -- no matter how tempting, just one.
  5. If the behavior does not present immediately, then again run for long enough to be sure it will not have the same problem
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all things are loaded or the behavior presents

When the behavior presents, you know the culprit...the last thing you loaded.

If the behavior does not re-present, then you know that either step 1 or 2 cured it.

If the behavior presents no matter what, then you likely have a hardware level issue for which no amount of OS or software can cure.

You may also need the use of these tricks:

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
GeoffBeck

Hi thanks

I am afraid I was impatient and panicked - I ultimately found a thread on app error 200 where one respondent recommended using KB10144 which I did, this appeared successful as the app error 200 screen was no longer appearing and my phone seemed usable again.  I then restored a backup that I had made yesterday.  I have re-setup my e-mail accounts.  Password Keeper was empty but I have been able to restore that from Blackberry Protect.  For a while the touchscreen wasn't working though it is now.

The BB Desktop Software gives me a warning on exit that there are still Application update outstanding - I am unsure what these are other than the OS Software is starred still for some reason even though the main screen on BBDS shows the current Software as the latest version and frankly I am too unnerved to do another update right now.

I now have to re-download a number of apps that have disappeared.

Geoff
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

It is a shame you panicked...but you now have what you have, and from what you report, you are already on your necessary path to recovery.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
TedinTO
My Device: Bold 9790

I have experienced precisely the same problem in the same circumstances. I am now strongly regretting trying to upgrade the software on my phone because if I hadn't it would still be working.

During my initial attempt, I successfully completed the steps through to the reboot; at which point I got the "white screen of death" and the App Error 200 message. Pressing the centre button resulted in the phone restarting and producing the identical result.

I then searched the internet for a solution and tried the steps you outlined. What I got was a repeat of same: I managed to get as far as the reboot stage and then received the same error.

I did try to download "BBSAK;" but the site I tried to get it from downloaded (and installed) a whole bunch of OTHER stuff that I didn't want on my computer - so I'd prefer not to go there again.

Quite frankly, I am very tired and frustrated at having to waste hours of my time pursuing a solution to a problem that YOUR software presumably created.

Please let me know if there is a solution that will actually WORK or if I should simply be seeking a replacement phone - and possibly something OTHER than a Blackberry so that I am never in this position again.

Thank you.

Contributor
GeoffBeck

Hi there

It does appear that you have exactly the same issue that I was facing and I fully understand your feelings right now.

However, I have managed to get my phone and running properly now. It has been a long process, but it has been successful.

What I did with the following:
1) I followed the instructions in KB10144 How to force the detection of the BlackBerry smartphone using Application Loader (in my case I use the instructions for BlackBerry Desktop Manager 7.0). This succeeded in getting my phone operational again.
2) using the BDM I restored my latest backup (thankfully I had done one earlier that day – but the upgrade procedure had started with a backup, but I chose to use my own earlier backup. This meant that photos, music, contacts, diary and tasks were restored but not for example contents of Password Keeper, but these were restored from BlackBerry Protect.
3) I then had to start reinstalling various applications, I have done most of the ones I use most often; there are several outstanding, but these will now probably wait until such time as I find I need them.

My phone is operating properly again, but I think I will be unlikely to do any OS upgrades in the future and I also think I will be unlikely to get another BlackBerry when my contract runs out.

Alternatively, you could try the procedure provided by sdgardne above as I may have just stumbled on a procedure that worked for me and he/she knows a lot more than I do.

I hope you get your phone sorted out very soon.

I think also I need to say that in my understanding the people on this forum are BlackBerry users like you and me trying to help each other out with their knowledge, I don't think they're actually BlackBerry (or should I say RIM) staff.

Geoff
New Contributor
TedinTO
My Device: Bold 9790

Thanks very much for your post.

After searching this forum (and others) for a solution, I decided that because it was Blackberry's operating software that caused the problem, Blackberry tech support should take me through the solution (to save me wasting any more of my time trying to fix a problem that I didn't create.)

Although this is a principled approach, I would not recommend it to others, as:

(1) I contacted my service provider, who referred me to Blackberry Support;

(2) Blackberry Support (a) when I first called them (from work) said they could fix it once I had access to my home computer and then (b) when I called from home offered to fix it for a fee OR refer me (back) to my service provider; and

(3) The tech person at the service provider to whom Blackberry Support referred me only referred me BACK to Blackberry Support (because if THEY do it it won't cost me anything).

The tech person at Blackberry Support took me through (essentially) the procedure you recommended, i.e.:

(1) Remove the battery.

(2) Install the Blackberry Desktop Manager on your computer (if not already present).

(3) Open the Blackberry Desktop Manager on your computer.

(4) Connect the phone to your computer.

(5) Select Update (or something like that).

(6) Once the process begins, plug the battery back into the phone.

(7) Select the most recent operating system you have to install.

(8) Once the install process is complete and the phone is operational, restore your most recent backup (NOT the one created when you were trying to upgrade).

As you have noted, this will restore your phone almost 100% (as of the date of the backup). So now I have a working phone.

I also have a much more detailed appreciation for the amount/level of support that Blackberry provides to its customers - which is why I won't be choosing Blackberry products in the future.

My apologies if my previous post suggested that others on this forum who were trying to help were Blackberry employees (as I understand that is NOT the case.) My sympathies go out to anyone else experiencing this - or similar - problems with their Blackberry products.

Contributor
GeoffBeck

Great - glad, at least, you have it sorted

Geoff
cristian4872
My Device: samsung galaxy ace

gracias lo revivi