Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Vodafone

Bold 9790 isn't recognised by my computer

I have just upgraded my old Bold 9700 to a 9790 today, and when I plugged it into my laptop, it just isn't recognised. I have already charged the device, and everything on it appears to be working correctly, but there was no message from the laptop when I plugged it in with the USB cable.

I know there was another thread about this issue and he solved it with a new cable, but I would think this a bit of a coincidence that there was something wrong with mine when it worked perfectly well with the 9700 recently! I am also running Windows 7.

Any help?

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone

Re: Bold 9790 isn't recognised by my computer

Hello LunaCorona,

Does Windows dectect that the BlackBerry® smartphone is connected to the PC? Also do you have the latest version of the BlackBerry® Desktop Software installed? Please have a look at he following article:

Identifying and troubleshooting issues with the BlackBerry Desktop Software detecting a USB connected BlackBerry smartphone

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/KB00125

Thanks.

-HB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Contributor

Thanks hatchback. I have installed the latest desktop software but every time I connect my 9790 to it, the whole thing just freezes. It asks me to connect the device, the page opens up to Get Started with this Device, and then it freezes. This is very frustrating, so what do I do now, please?

Contributor

*bump*

still can't use the desktop software, please help!

Contributor

*bump*

trying again........

still can't use the desktop software, please help!

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: MTN - South Africa

Hi,

My husband has the same problem!  The pc just wont recognize it..... does not connect - just nothing happens!!!!!

HYL
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Verizon

I am having exactly the same problem.  First indication was not being able to charge the Bold from my laptop's (ThinkPad) USB port, but it charges fine from an outlet.  I happen to have a mini-USB data cable and even used it in place of the one shipped with device.

I have installed the Desktop Manager, Verizon's Access Manager, and the latest Blackberry USB driver.  Verizon support had me reinstall all of the USB drivers.  Absolutely nothing has worked.

I searched every forum I can find and have not located anything helpful.  Most recommendations for tethering assume that the device is recoignized.

Help!!!

Contributor

I am beginning to think this might be more of a Windows 7 problem than just to do with BlackBerry. What systems does everyone else use that is having a similar recognition problem?

My Device: Blackberry 8520

I have the same problem. It was the USB cable itself. I have one that works and one that doesn't.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700

Thanks, cowb0y, I will try another cable as well.