Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
Edice
My Device: Bold 9900

Bold 990-how can I get a new phone?

Dear BBrry helpers,

My misery started when in March 2012 I upgraded the CURVE for the Bold 9900, a 24 month contract with 'Orange'UK.

Soon after this point I demonstrated how to remove the battery, which resulted in all my phone ringtones, notifiers etc. being deleted ( I contacted the forum). A variety of 'flaws'became apparent some of which would disappear after taking the battery out and re-booting the device, some people at Orange said'it was quite normal to have to do this to a Blackberry (?), so I continued removing the battery when the phone was on as a matter of course, but other things started to wrong (freezing, wrong time and alarm clock not going of).In January 2013 I took it back to the Carphone Warehouse where I had purchased the phone,it would be repaired as it was still in warranty.

2 weeks later I received a new phone, all went well untill, after 2.5 months, it completely died. I returned to the shop and after 2 weeks I received a new phone; BlackBerry does not repair, it issues a new one, but this one had a fault too, so after 1 week of much battery drainage ( not using the phone or having anything running in the background) I took it back today when the shop revealed a vital piece of info> BBrry only returns a reconditioned phone, so now I'm really fed up. The principle is 'buying a NEW phone'with the contract> getting a refurbished instead one is not the deal.

Thank you for your input,

Edice

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Bold 990-how can I get a new phone?

Hello!

Everything is governed by your contract at the time of your original purchase. There are "typical" terms that exist, but each can be individual...you need to review your contract to see what is legally binding in your individual case. You might have luck appealing to your place of purchase, preferably to a management level person.

There also might be some good reading here:

In different parts of the world, so called "lemon laws" exist that help the consumer fight for more than their contract might allow. There also might be local consumer protection agencies you can contact for assistance.

But, here in this user-to-user community, the best we can do is listen and feel sad for your situation...but there is nothing anyone here can actually do about it, beyond giving you advice.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
Edice

Thank you very much... at least you replied but as you say your role can only be advisory, though it also offers another perspective.

The shop staff's hands are bound and won't say anything more than it is Blackberry's prerogative.

I thought to ring Orange too, as the contract is with them, but I'd really like to contact Blackberry as they are issuing seeminly sub-standard re-conditioned phones.

So how can I contact Blackberry?

Thank you again,

Edice

Trusted Contributor
rosebags
My Device: bold 9900

i had this problem when i was with Orange.
my wife had the pearl, and it went wrong. Orange will replace it next day if it comes up as faulty on their diagnostic system. i had 5 different phones, all refurbished..... all went faulty.
the only thing you can do is call Orange, speak to customer services and INSIST on getting a brand new phone as the ones they are sending you are "not of satisfactory quality or fit for their purpose".
dont take no for an answer.... you have to tell them that you will have to contact the regulator OFCOM and report the issue to them as they have supplied you with defective phones and you have paid monthly for a poor service.
eventually, they will give you what you want ! if you persist.... even threaten to write to the chairman of the company !!!!
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Edice wrote:

The shop staff's hands are bound and won't say anything more than it is Blackberry's prerogative.

That happens quite a lot. I suspect that the people in the shops are trained to "blame BlackBerry" as much as they can, since it's so very hard for the end user to actually challenge it. But, consider the contract...for your device, you have no contract with BlackBerry whatsoever. Your device contract (including warranty, support, etc.) is entirely between you and your original place of purchase. BlackBerry was never a party to that contract, and is not a party today to that contract.

When the shop folks "blame BlackBerry", they are able to more quickly fob off their customer...which, sadly, is what they are doing. What you need to do is be more insistent with them. Rather than just accepting their spoken words, you need to research your actual original documentation to see what it says. Then, if if indeed is different than what the shop people are telling you, go back to them and insist that they show you, in writing, what they are telling you...and also be ready with your actual contract to refute what they may say. Don't let them fob you off, and escalate to a manager.

I must say, however, that refurbished devices are quite typical as warranty replacements...but, again, what you are specifically entitled to is dicated by your contract with your original place of purchase, not by what BlackBerry may or may not be telling them now (unless your contract specifically deferred to anything that BlackBerry may say in the future, which would be a very bad contract indeed!).

Keep also in mind that, if indeed they are correct and that all is being done within the terms of your contract, then you are now seeking special dispensation from your contractual terms...which is a very tricky thing to request.

Edice wrote:

I thought to ring Orange too, as the contract is with them

From what you've told me, that is not accurate. Consider -- there are two contracts. One for the purchase of the device, and another for the services provided to the device. If the device is purchased from the service provider (e.g., Orange), then indeed yes they would be the support provider for both the device as well as your services. But, from what you've said, you purchased the device elsewhere...which means that your device support is from one entity while your service-level support is from another.

But, again, your original purchase documentation should document exactly what your support and warranty provisions are...you need to read that rather than just moving forward on your assumed level of coverage.

Edice wrote:

but I'd really like to contact Blackberry as they are issuing seeminly sub-standard re-conditioned phones.

So how can I contact Blackberry?

Since BlackBerry is not party to the contracts that dictate your situation, then there is no simple (nor free, btw) method for you to accomplish that. There is something called incident support, but it costs to just ask the initial question, since you are bypassing your contractually required support channel. But if you wish to investigate that, you can review it here:

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
Edice

Well, that is really a tremendous amount of information and I feel overwhelmed...I feel I have to study it in more detail as it is detail what you are giving me.

Sadly there seems to be no easy  solution, all I want is a functioning phone, but I'll do my best to sort it out with all the help you have given me...finding the original contract is the starting point, I am still at work... and now know I am in it for the long run...but your contribution is helping me!

Thanking you again,

Edice

New Contributor
Edice

Thank you for your reply, another user pointed out that the contract is really with the Carphone Warehouse, but I will definitely ring Orange...re-furbished is just not the same as a new phone.
Troubled times ahead I think.

Edice
Trusted Contributor
rosebags
My Device: bold 9900

trust me...
follow my instructions above.... you will get one !!