Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
mike_302
My Carrier: Rogers

Bold 9900, 10111 Dead, Getting Reflashed

[ Edited ]

Hey,

So I have a dead Bold 9900. Absolutely no response, but if I connect to a computer, the LED will flash in a 10111 pattern. Looking into that on Google, it seems like the hardware is all fine, it simply needs to be reflashed and the OS reloaded. So I've looked further into that and it's not an easy task unless you're a BlackBerry employee and can Telnet into the phone... But then BB has cancelled its Family and Friends repair program for people who know employees...

So I don't want to throw this phone away. And I think BlackBerry is trying to keep customers too: How do I go about making this phone work again?

Cheers

PS It's a Bell Canada phone, and I've followed a number of tips and tricks I've found online to get it working. The 10111 flash pattern means it needs to be reflashed though... Battery pulls won't solve it.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Bold 9900, 10111 Dead, Getting Reflashed

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

"reflashed" sometimes means something illegal...so what we will discuss here is attempting to reload your OS onto your BB (which is completely legal).

The simplest way is to, on a PC (you cannot do this on MAC):

1) Make sure you have a current and complete backup of your BB...you can find complete instructions via the link in my auto-sig below.

2) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages

3) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

4) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:

• http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp
  • It is sorted first by carrier -- so if all you want are the OS levels your carrier supports, your search will be quick. However, some carriers are much slower than others to release updates. To truly seek out the most up-to-date OS package for your BB, you must dig through and find all carriers that support your specific model BB, and then compare the OS levels that they support.

5) Delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

6a) For changing your installed BB OS level (upgrade or downgrade), you can launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC.

6b) Or, for reloading your currently installed BB OS level as well as for changing it, bypass the Desktop Software and use LOADER.EXE directly, by proceeding to step 2 in this process:

If, during the processes of 6a or 6b, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue.

You may also want to investigate the use of BBSAK (bbsak.org) to perform the wipe it is capable of.

You may also want to try the "Bare Bones OS Reload Procedure" to attempt to narrow down the precise causal item:

1. Load your OS "bare bones"...if anything is optional, do not install it.
  2. If the behavior presents immediately, then try a different OS with step 1
  3. If the behavior does not immediately present, then run for as long as it takes for you to be sure that the behavior will not present.
  4. Add one thing -- no matter how tempting, just one.
  5. If the behavior does not present immediately, then again run for long enough to be sure it will not have the same problem
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all things are loaded or the behavior presents

When the behavior presents, you know the culprit...the last thing you loaded.

If the behavior does not re-present, then you know that either step 1 or 2 cured it.

If the behavior presents no matter what, then you likely have a hardware level issue for which no amount of OS or software can cure.

You may also need the use of these tricks:

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mike_302

Okay, thanks for all of this info. It's more whole than anything I have found thus far.

However, before I attempt any of this, I need to make it very clear: The computer does not recognize the phone. It provides power (the only time the LED blinks 10111 is when it's plugged in), but the computer does not see anything connected to it.

So that being said, will any of these fixes work? I was previously under the impression that BlackBerry employees were the only ones with the ability to force the computer to detect it, in its current state.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Keep reading the above...KB10144 has a title that is very specific to what you are saying...

I have no information about the LED pattern you are reporting. But, the tricks and tools above have normally been able to recover a BB from any state (and, KB27956 happens also to have a useful title in this regard, does it not?) -- as long as it doesn't have a hardware problem.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mike_302

So I've tried these links, but they're misnomers: They won't work from just ANY state. Your BlackBerry has to be able to be deteted by your computer, even if only for a few seconds. They allow you to catch your BlackBerry if it goes into a permanent restart loop, but not if all the software is so messed up that the USB port is not communicating with the computer.

This is where I was (and still am) under the impression that only BlackBerry's employees have the ability, as they can Telnet into a bricked phone and force the connection.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bbmamalawi
My Carrier: Airtel Malawi

Connect your phone to your PC without the battery!A. No_charging symbol will appear!Wait for 2 or more minutes then slide in the battery!
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

mike_302 wrote:

So I've tried these links, but they're misnomers: They won't work from just ANY state. Your BlackBerry has to be able to be deteted by your computer, even if only for a few seconds. They allow you to catch your BlackBerry if it goes into a permanent restart loop, but not if all the software is so messed up that the USB port is not communicating with the computer.

Did you use the first 5 steps, to install everything to your PC first. Did you use the update website or LOADER.EXE with the various tricks?

Here also is the list of troubleshooting articles...hopefully something will be useful:

• http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Desktop-Software/Tips-for-getting-BlackBerry-Deskt...
  • KB10144 How to force the detection of the BlackBerry smartphone using Application Loader
  • KB28457 BlackBerry Desktop Software is unable to detect the BlackBerry Smartphone due to administrative permissions
  • KB28458 BlackBerry Desktop Software is unable to detect the BlackBerry Smartphone when user account control is enabled
  • KB28459 BlackBerry Desktop Software is unable to detect the BlackBerry Smartphone when a full version of Roxio® Media Manager is installed 
  • KB28456 BlackBerry Desktop Software is unable to detect the BlackBerry Smartphone when USB selective suspend setting is enabled
  • KB28444 The BlackBerry smartphone is not detected by BlackBerry Desktop Software when connected by USB to a USB hub or a docking station
  • KB28443 BlackBerry Desktop Software cannot detect the BlackBerry smartphone when it is connected via USB
  • KB02640 Troubleshooting USB connections
  • KB15486 Top 10 BlackBerry smartphone and BlackBerry Desktop Manager troubleshooting tips
  • KB00125BlackBerry Desktop Software cannot detect the BlackBerry smartphone
  • KB11439 BlackBerry Desktop Software does not detect the BlackBerry smartphone when it is connected
  • KB00019 No PIN displayed in BlackBerry Desktop Redirector
  • KB10938 "USB charging current is insufficient" appears on the BlackBerry smartphone
  • KB01451 How to turn on advanced synchronization logging if a wired synchronization fails
  • KB19717 The BlackBerry smartphone is not detected as a USB Mass Storage Device when connected to a computer
  • KB16310 Media Transfer Protocol and the BlackBerry Storm smartphone
  • http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Desktop-Software/Desktop-Manager-quot-disconnected...

Also, check that you are using only root USB ports...no hubs (sometimes the front-side ports are hubs...use a rear USB port). And make sure to try disabling USB power management in your system configuration (Device Manager).

Also check on conflicting software...it has been reported that the software package NTI Shadow&Ninja can cause a conflict; removing them and reinstalling the BB desktop software allows it to install correctly.

Apologies in advance if this is redundant -- there's no way to be sure if you've already seen and tried these. Also apologies if any are not presently available...RIM takes them up and down at will as they revise things.

Hopefully something there is helpful!

You also might wan to try this thread (not to the extent of re-doing the synchronization process perhaps, but at least as far as cleanly starting over with the installation of the necessary things to the PC):

It starts with a process for cleanly starting over, and there is some discussion, and there is also a post (15) with links to older Desktop Software versions, if those are needed. Note that this is not, by any means, guaranteed to work...but it has worked for many to resolve issues they are having.

mike_302 wrote:

This is where I was (and still am) under the impression that only BlackBerry's employees have the ability, as they can Telnet into a bricked phone and force the connection.

Well, I can't help you with the impressions that you have...but, if you think you are, by posting here in this site, actually asking for that, then that is an incorrect assumption on your part. Refer:

Hopefully, this information will be of use to you.

Cheers, and Good Luck!

Cheers!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mike_302

Trying on several different USB ports, trying with and without the battery, and I have the original BlackBerry USB cable that came with it.

I went to the article regarding Desktop Manager not Detecting the USB Connection and followed the steps there, checking to see if Device Manager even recognized the phone being attached to the computer: No luck. It's not picked up by Windows at all. It's solution: See my carrier for further assistance.

Bell says, "It's out of warranty, and that's all we're doing."

So that's it? I have to throw out an otherwise useful device, which can be made to work again with the right software access? Uggggh...

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

mike_302 wrote:

which can be made to work again with the right software access?

That remains an assumption (or perhaps "impression") of yours...it may be correct, or it may not be. But out of warranty is out of warranty...for a fee, you can seek to validate your impression and contact BB directly (as previously provided above).

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.