Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Highlighted
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: MTN

Bold 9900 - Alerts not functioning correctly

I have just upgraded from 9700 to 9900.  Aside from the incredibly annoying reduced battery life (where RIM gets the expected standby time measured in days rather than hours, goodness only knows!), I have encountered a problem which some of you are not going to believe -- but I swear it's true.  I use two modes -- LOUD and SILENT.  I have modified the LOUD settings so that alerts (for emails, SMS and BBM chats) should only play when OUT OF HOLSTER - i.e. when the phone is in the holster, it should be silent except when somebody rings me.  So why does it ognore the settings and alert me audibly when I receive messages?  Does anybiody else have this problem?  I can get it to behave (i.e. to remain silent) if I choose "play when IN HOLSTER", but this is the exact opposite of what it should do -- isn't it?  I have a degree in Computer Science, plenty of IT savvy and a good degree of patience, but this is bizarre!!

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 3G
My Carrier: 3

Re: Bold 9900 - Alerts not functioning correctly

My 9900 (1 day old) steadfastly refuses to make any noise whatsoever when I receive an SMS or an eMail. Accounts are properly configured the alert tone is in the correct format (not that it matters; the factory tones don't work either) and if the 'Try It' key is pressed it sounds off perfectly. Get an eMail, though, and it's pot luck when you see it as it's a case of checking it every five minutes for luck. Together with not being able to link it to my PC via Bluetooth (RIM haven't gone to the effort of listing a series of approved Bluetooth drivers that you can simply download on their site, by phone model) as per my last BB phone, a 9300, and it's looking like a bit of a poor do all round. If this problem persists, it's going back and I'm having a competitor's phone. I'll miss the physical keyboard, certainly; but there you go. Based on my experiences, a typical Blackberry has more gremlins than Zack Galligan's loft and their customer service is non-existent. Basic features simply haven't been sorted out, and as a customer you're left with the impression that a0 They don't care; and b) You're expected to just put up with it all.