Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone

Bold 9900 - BIS Issues, No Fix after a year and a half...

[ Edited ]

Hello There,

Firstly I want to thank you for reading this.

A year and a half ago, I bought a Bold 9900,

After trying to set it up in the UK where I bought it, it persistently asked me for Enterprise Email and Password, I am a normal consumer and just wanted BIS, I took it South Africa with me where I live in the hopes I could find a solution for it over here. Since, I sent it back to the UK in the hopes of an issue being resolved. Nothing happened, and it was mostly sitting in a box. So, I need help urgently with what's wrong. From what I remember since I don't have the device at the moment, what shall I do? It was not registering BIS in UK or South Africa after we bought it. I find others have similar issues but don't get an answer, I please ask you what I can do to sort it out, I have arranged for the phone to be shipped back to me and is currently in transit, and I don't want to be stuck with a Deadberry, thanks a lot. I will be happy to give any further information. I've tried almost exerything aswell...

Andrico

EDIT: 

If its stolen/lost, wouldnt it not work at all? Ive used it for calls and texts etc...

Also, wouldnt it work in two different countries if it was?

I've tried removing IT policy, but to no avail.

Ive also bought unlock codes and unlocked it.

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Bold 9900 - BIS Issues, No Fix after a year and a half...

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Without the device in your hands, there is actually nothing you can try. Further, since I cannot know everything you've tried, what I tell you now risks redundancy.. When you do have it again, here are the options that I think you should look into:

1) Make sure the BB is properly unlocked...see this thread:

2) Make sure that your SA carrier will allow your specific BB onto their network AND that their network natively supports your specific model. If their network does not natively support your specific model, then it will be very very challenging to get it to work for data services. Sorry...but you did not specify your SA carrier (I find no "Vodafone" in SA), so I can't check for you...but you can, via the official download portal. If the carrier lists the 9900, then their network should natively support it...but you definitely want to talk to them to be sure:

3) Make sure that you have voice services (calls, voice mail, SMS, etc.) properly working on the carrier.

4) If they cannot get data to work, then ask them to check if the BB PIN is perhaps reported as lost or stolen. If it is, then there will be nothing you can do.

5) If they cannot get data to work, it may also be due to another carrier having the PIN registered into their system...only one carrier can create a BIS account for any individual BB at a time. If another carrier holds that PIN in their system, then they need to release it before any other carrier can assign it. This theory may be bolstered by your experience in the UK as well...if, for instance, you bought your BB used and the prior owner did not properly conduct their "seller" steps, then that could explain the issue. But, only the seller can do those steps...typically, even if you can figure out what carrier it is, they won't accept the release request from anyone but the actual account holder according to their records:

• KB05099 Steps to take before selling or after buying a previously owned BlackBerry smartphone

Those are pretty much the things I can quickly figure for you to look into. Pay very close attention to all of them as they are all equally possible. Further, pay special attention to the non-native issue...if your BB model is not natively supported by the carrier on which you wish to use it, then it simply may not be possible at all. (However, your problems in the UK might indicate other issues as well.)

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks so much for this, 

Here is more info I can provide from what I definately remember.

I paid for a BB unlock code from IMEI, so It's defo unlocked,

Vodafone in South Africa is known as Vodacom, (http://www.vodacom.co.za)

They sell the device and have BIS and everything, ive used previous blackberry's on their network and know others who have 9900 phones on Vodacom,

All "calls, voice mail, SMS, etc." worked too. So it cant be a blocked or stolen phone? Also worked in UK for these uses.

Cant RIM release the PIN? The seller doesnt respond whatsoever.

Hall of Famer II

zandrico999 wrote:

I paid for a BB unlock code from IMEI, so It's defo unlocked,

Excellent.

zandrico999 wrote:

Vodafone in South Africa is known as Vodacom, (http://www.vodacom.co.za)

They sell the device and have BIS and everything, ive used previous blackberry's on their network and know others who have 9900 phones on Vodacom,

Ahhh...yes I saw Vodacom, but since I do not know them, I had no way to know that they are also Vodafone. One other thing to check is if there are different models of the 9900...I recall that on some models, even the same model number might have different radio frequency capabilities, and whatever those are on your specific BB, they must match the Vodacom network.

zandrico999 wrote:

All "calls, voice mail, SMS, etc." worked too. So it cant be a blocked or stolen phone? Also worked in UK for these uses.

Not necessarily. Voice-level services are provided strictly by the carrier, no BlackBerry systems are involved. So there is no cross-check of the PIN being reported as lost or stolen when using voice only. Only for data-level services does that cross-check happen.

zandrico999 wrote:

Cant RIM release the PIN?

No, BlackBerry cannot do that. Locks are placed by the carriers, and they have contractual control over the situation. If BlackBerry were to intervene, they would be in breach of their contract with the carriers.

zandrico999 wrote:

The seller doesnt respond whatsoever.

So you did buy it used. As such, the theory of lost/stolen gains credence. But, as with all of this, your sole source for authoritative information is the carriers...as other users, we have no access to systems to answer these questions. Only the carriers have such access.

I fear you may have bought a device that can never be used for anything other than voice-level services, due to the failure of the seller to perform the required steps in that above-linked KB (either that or they sold you a lost/stolen device, which actually gains credence since they are not responding to you). As in all things, buyer beware.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Carrier: etisalat nigeria

I can't use my BBM, I can't update my Blackberry ID and the host routing table is empty because it cannot generated any information, on it
New Contributor
My Carrier: etisalat nigeria

[ Edited ]

'm Osaze-irabor Dean A. From Nigeria

Removed personal information to comply withCommunity GuidelinesandTerms and Conditions of Use.

and I have been unable to use my BBM for some time now, I can't update my Blackberry ID and information cannot be generated on my device Host routing table, I was told RIM probably Blacklisted my device in error but I'm yet to know why.
Please, I'm really in the dark concerning this and it's been very frustrating.
I need you to please look into this promptly
Thanks and
Kind Regards
OSAZE-IRABOR DEAN A

New Contributor

What shall I do now?

New Contributor

Can anybody help?

Hall of Famer II

zandrico999 wrote:

What shall I do now?

I'm not sure there is anything more to provide you. All of the possibilities I think are fully discussed above, along with the path you must follow to determine which of those are correct. If, as I fear, the seller has sold you a useless device, then there is indeed nothing to be done, and the seller has taken advantage of you. But, again, all I can do is guess...you must follow those paths above if you wish to determine for sure what the root of the problem really is...no one here, in this user-to-user community, has any access to any systems that could dig any deeper for you.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Hall of Famer II

dcooldean wrote:

'm Osaze-irabor Dean A. From Nigeria

Removed personal information to comply withCommunity GuidelinesandTerms and Conditions of Use.

and I have been unable to use my BBM for some time now, I can't update my Blackberry ID and information cannot be generated on my device Host routing table, I was told RIM probably Blacklisted my device in error but I'm yet to know why.
Please, I'm really in the dark concerning this and it's been very frustrating.
I need you to please look into this promptly
Thanks and
Kind Regards
OSAZE-IRABOR DEAN A

Hello,

As is already discussed in this thread, no one here has any access to any systems to figure out if/why your BB is blacklisted. You must work through formal channels (e.g., your mobile service provider) as only they have such access. No one here, in this user-to-user community, has any such access.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates