Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Titus_qua
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: MTN

Re: Bold 9900 Battery Life

Hello, this thread's been quiet for a while so I don't know it I'll get any help anywho owned a bold 9900 for a month now, till the last week or so ago it was working great, then the battery started draining up like a problem, couldn't get more than 2 hours of usage out of it so I bought a new battery, same issue.....The battery drainage gradually got worse and now when its at about 50%, it powers out and goes into the "battery too low for drainage use", doesn't spend more than 10 seconds there before it totally blacks out. I've gone through this whole thread, from comment 1 to comment 2089, and yesterday I wiped out my blackberry(was easy for me since I've gone through the process before) and upgraded to .923 ofcourse after deleting the vendor.xml file. Frustratingly, am experiencing the exact same issues, Am I being impatient?, do I have to wait a while before the battery shows any improvement......

P.S the apps I use are; bbm, whatsapp, my browser and twitter, I always exit when done using, my twitter is set to never update my feed and I always just reload it when I go into the app, I deleted social apps, my facebook is set to update after 3hrs, network set to 3g only, battery saver always on......

Should I give up on this phone? Upgrade to the Z10, all my friends have, I have used it but not much of a touch screen person. The first 5 months of using this phone were heaven and even if the battery only got me through a day I had no issue with that because I could just charge it at the end of the day. Its now not getting me more than 3hours with normal usage, minus calls......

Any feedback would be appreciated
Please use plain text.
jakoby4204
My Device: Not Specified

moved into a new thread topic in Z10 board: "Z10 Battery Issues"

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
wwwatch
My Device: Bold 9900 and 9700
My Carrier: Taiwan mobile

Ian, I'm wondering if you know what is the latest 9900 OS?  My Bold is stalling again and it needs to have OS updated.  

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
ifraser
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: EE

Mmm..think we are running 7.1.0.1098 if I remember rightly.

The OS releases have slowed but with the phone now running as it should from releases there is no complaint there.

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/contactFormPreload.do?code=7D2A383E54274888B4B73B97E1AA...

Official release
OS10 on the Z10. A great combination.
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
wwwatch

I'm wondering how 1098 works vs it's previous version (1033 i believe).  I reverted back to 923 from 1033 since i have noticed that 1033 eats up battery at about 25% faster rate.  Thank you Ian.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
ifraser

Better radio file than 1033
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
wwwatch

Hi Ian, my Bold 9900 decides to quit working today. Seems to be a SW issue.

It won't initialize; what I mean here is that when the phone gets to 3/4 of the initializing stage, it goes off and starts all over again. The computer doesn't recognize the phone is plugged in therefore I can't get to wipe and/or re-install an OS.

I didn't do anything to it prior to the issue. The Phone was completely stuck and I had to take out the battery in hopes of having it restarted correctly. But then this happens.

Anyway you can share some idea on how I can fix this? Thank you so much in advance!
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
ifraser

Have a look on cb, look for the triple wipe app and try that.

Also reinstall the manager software on your laptop.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
williamgault
My Device: Not Specified

Titus_qua wrote:
whatsapp

I realize this post will necro an older thread but googling for a similar issue brought me here.

Basically I bolded one of my battery culprits. whatsapp is notorious for randomly draining my battery from 100% to empty within minutes. Initially I disabled all the automatic downloads of the software but they've recently changed it to force the automatic downloading of audio files so I've deleted the app from my phone. Deleting Whatsapp was the best decision I'd made as it brought me from 14 hours of battery life back to 3 days of battery life. I gave this advice to other people and it improved the quality of their life by reducing frustration.

The other culprit, which ties into whatsapp, was a MicroSD card issue. For whatever reason the MicroSD would randomly disappear from my Blackberry and I'd either have to reinsert it or restart my phone. I installed a new MicroSD card and it did the same thing... I read something in another forum concerning battery drains + SD cards so removing the SD card from the phone, which was used by Whatsapp to download all the useless junk sent into chat, also aided in resolving my battery drain issue prior to the above.

Certainly other items like disabling wireless networking, disabling bluetooth and adjusting the screensaver timeout will improve the battery life slightly but the change is insignificant when compared to the damage that Whatsapp does.

After doing the above, I let my phone drain to the point where it powered off (not turned off wireless, but fully powered off) then fully charged it and in doing so the battery life improved dramatically and I was back to Blackberry glory days of half-week usage without charging.

Since I'm not a heavy app user this was an easy situation to diagnose and I'd suggest anyone else experiencing charges do an OS update to the latest with a complete wipe and avoid installing or restoring any apps to determine if your phone with a stock configuration has the same issue to isolate software issue from hardware issue.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Zoloft
My Device: 9930
My Carrier: Vodafone Romania

I have on my 9930 version 7.1.0 bundle 2879; its last or exist newer version ?

Please use plain text.