Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blod 9900
My Carrier: Swisscom

Bold 9900 I lost French in the display language

Hello,

Since my last updates of OS I can't put the display language in French, but what is strange is that I still have French for the keyboard.

Does anyone knows if I can add it again? I can't find it in the desktop software either.

Thank you

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Bold 9900 I lost French in the display language

Hello,

What, exactly, do you find in the Desktop Software? The first one or two entries in the AppLoader portion should be greyed out and have something to do with the core apps. If that's not what you see, then you will need this process.

1) Make sure you have a current and complete backup of your BB...you can find complete instructions via the link in my auto-sig below.

2) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages

3) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

4) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:

• http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp
  • It is sorted first by carrier -- so if all you want are the OS levels your carrier supports, your search will be quick. However, some carriers are much slower than others to release updates. To truly seek out the most up-to-date OS package for your BB, you must dig through and find all carriers that support your specific model BB, and then compare the OS levels that they support.
  • For languages, refer to this KB when selecting the OS package to use:
    • KB05305 Localization support for BlackBerry smartphones
  • Not only must you install the proper package (one that includes the language you desire), but you must also select the proper components when you install it to your BB, and then likewise activate them on the BB

5) Delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

If you installed, to your PC, the exact same OS that is presently running on your BB, then you should now be able to launch the Desktop Software and the AppLoader portion will now start with the first item(s) as I described above, and you should be then able to access/install the necessary language components to your BB.

But, if you are changing your BBOS to a different package, then proceed with either 6a or 6b now.

6a) For changing your installed BB OS level (upgrade or downgrade), you can launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC.

6b) Or, for reloading your currently installed BB OS level as well as for changing it, bypass the Desktop Software and use LOADER.EXE directly, by proceeding to step 2 in this process:

If, during the processes of 6a or 6b, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Unfortunately it didn't work!

Hall of Famer II

Well, I know 100% that, followed correctly, it indeed does work. But, unfortunately, from your 4 word reply, I have no idea where in the process you might have made an error. Done correctly, it definitely works. But it's very easy to make a mistake, and any mistake along the way invalidates the entire process. So, details from you would be much more helpful to trying to help you figure out where things went wrong.

Thanks and let us know!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

I am sure that something I did didn?t work.

The OS version I have on my BB is only in english you are right. So like you told me I uninstalled all the OS I had on my computer. I downloaded on my computer the right version (with all the languages). I couldn't find the one from my provider so I took the one from an other provider in Switzerland,

I think the problem came from step 6. Because for the 6A it didn't offer the OS i downloaded so I tried 6B and clicked in the link. Everything went ok until the step 4 On the next page, click on the Advanced button.  Ensure that both boxes (Delete all application data and Delete all currently installed applications) are checked.  Click Next.

I coul not check the box Delete all currently installed applications.

So after I could not succeed,

I think that's it.

Please let me know if you can see what the problem could be. If not I'll keep the OS only in english and that's it.

Thank you for your help and sorry for the quick answer before.

Hall of Famer II

[ Edited ]

MarylaureG wrote:

I think the problem came from step 6. Because for the 6A it didn't offer the OS i downloaded

Typically, that means one or more of the following:

• There is no valid (e.g., for your specific model number BB) BBOS package installed to your PC
  • There is a valid (for your model number) BBOS package installed to your PC, but it is from a different carrier, and the items in step 5 were not properly conducted
  • There is more than one BBOS package installed to your PC
  • The BBOS package installed to your PC is for the exact same version as presently running on your BB

Any of those would cause the installed package to actually be ignored, and the automatic process then takes over. So, look into all of those to be sure that they are not causal.

If you have a different BBOS package installed to your PC (different from what is running on your BB), then step 6A should start with immediately offering you that OS package to install to the BB...if that offer is not made, then the installed (to the PC) OS package is ignored, and 6B cannot succeed either (when you do the AppLoader inside of the Desktop Software of 6A, all that does is launch LOADER.EXE).

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Thank you for all those information.

I will try again.

Do you think it could be a problem if I keep the OS I have on my BB now ?

Thank you

Hall of Famer II

I made an error in that post...I've asked the Mods to fix it since I can no longer edit the post. The words "The BBOS package installed to your PC is for the exact same version as presently running on your BB" should be one of the bullet items. Those as well are one of the possible causes of your situation. But, since I cannot see you nor your system, I cannot know if it is causal in your situation or not. You must discover the cause.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates