Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

jm1
New Contributor
jm1
My Device: 9900
Accepted Solution

Bold 9900 battery life worsens further by 50% after 2406 upgrade

My Bold 9900 battery life has significantly worsened after the recent OS 7.0 Bundle 2406 upgrade. I had previously struggled to get through the day on one battery charge, but I typically could make it for a day with general business email use, limited calls and no internet browsing. Now after the recent 2406 upgrade, I only get about 50% as much battery life. Additionally, the small centre black box with the rotating white second hand is now a regularly occurring feature throughout the day, and I have had to pull my battery out to reboot my BlackBerry much more often. I have since stripped out all the apps, cut back on all other battery draining features (screen brightness, wifi, Bluetooth, gps, etc), and moved to 2G to extend my battery life. I was already unhappy with the poor BlackBerry Bold 9900 battery life, but after this latest 2406 upgrade, it's now unacceptable for business use when it only works for 1/2 a day. Hopefully this is a recognized RIM battery life issue for the Bold 9900 that's being quickly addressed. Otherwise, I'm one of many that will need to move to a more acceptable business smart phone solution from a battery life perspective. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Bold 9900 battery life worsens further by 50% after 2406 upgrade

Your phone will need time to adjust to any new OS you install.  I would suggest you give it a day or two to allow it to level off.  I'm not aware of any serious battery issues with this update so give it another couple of days.

Post back with your results in a couple of days.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
jm1
New Contributor
jm1
My Device: 9900

Well, I implemented the BlackBerry 9900 battery saving techniques in this forum, and to my surprise, it solved everything way more than I expected. My last Bold 9900 battery charge lasted 6 days/86 hours (compared to less than 1/2 day) during normal business and weekend use for phone calls, emails, texts and bbm, excluding using the internet or any apps. I moved from 2G+3G to 2G only, turned off all apps (especially GPS, social media and Google sync), turned down my screen brightness and shortened the timeout timing, turned off wifi and bluetooth, etc. Thanks for all the forum comments. They worked. I will now be slowly adding back a few apps and using 3G for internet use again, and I'll more closely monitor my battery drain going forward.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
jocelynedw89
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

I have had this same problem and have tried battery-saving techniques, but my battery life is still significantly worsened with the 2406 bundle. Is it possible to go back to simply OS 7.0 without the bundle? 

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

No, it's not.  When you download a new OS, you get everything that comes with it, i.e. "the bundle".  That would include things such as SMS, browser, calendar and other features specific to an OS, such as the compass with OS 7.

I hope that helps you.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kisaacs
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: AT&T

I have the worst battery life with my BB Bold 9900 than I have ever experienced. I did not have this problem with my Torch or my BB Bold 9000. Those two previous devices stayed 90% all day long with use. This one sucks on battery life and its got to be software related.
I don't have a solution for you my friend, but I want the word out that we need a fix on this big time!
Please use plain text.
pwtyang
My Device: bold 9900
My Carrier: 02

I've been getting the battery drain issue intermitently where the phone will get real hot without me using anything on it and the battery drains within hours.  I was using various usb chargers for it and noticed that it did seem to drain far quicker after using my kindle charger even though it showed as being fully charged.  The same has also happened where I have used the usb port on my laptop, but again the problem is intermitent and it can go weeks without it happening.  Does anybody else get the overheating issue?  I've switched to just using the BB charger now that came with the phone to see if it occurs again, though the battery life is nothing like compared to my previous bb's

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mhajar
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: 7809049830

I just upgraded to OS 7 and my battery life has defiantly gotten significantly worse.  I only use this phone for smsing so it is barley on. I have the wifi off NFC off and still very poor battery since the upgrade. Any suggestions?

Please use plain text.