Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
zMastaa
My Device: Bold 9900

Bold 9900 not turning on, flashing red light

My bold 9900 is not turning on, went to sleep one night, left it on charge, woke up and it was off.

Basically the phone is constantly restarting/rebooting itself so when you try restoring the OS with DM it fails as soon as it gets to the "reconnecting to jvm" stage.

Ive tried BBSAK, and DM ive read that this is a GROWING issue on the 9900. Any other options except for returning the phone to my carrier?

Contributor
asteele

Re: Bold 9900 not turning on, flashing red light

This is a nightmare, and you are not alone - there are more and more users that are having this issue.

Nobody seems to know what causes it - and many people have tried many different things to revive a "bricked" 9900, but so far without any success at all.

I have a hunch that it is to do with a bad app, but it is just a hunch - my 9900 had several apps installed which were not OS7 compatible, and they did not work. With my 2nd 9900, they refused to be installed - and I can not help from thinking that somehow this could be something to do with it.

My 9900 was working fine, and was on the mains charger overnight - and I awoke to find it dead.... this has been the same story for many users... and many have reported owning their phone for 30 to 40 days before this happened - which is very odd too.

The current advise is to get the unit replaced/repaired - which is great if you bought from a carrier and have a warranty, but not so good if you bought on eBay from a supplier with no warranty. I bought on eBay from a supplier with a warranty, but it meant I had to pay $90 of freight to get the unti back to the origina country of origin.... and maybe in a few weeks it will be replaced, meanwhile I have had to buy a 2nd phone and am worried that this one could also brick at any moment.

Good luck!

Contributor
zMastaa

Yup, i got my bold on the 9th October, on an upgrade. Typical Blackberry not going to admit an issue and cover it up with an OS update??? This is why the other BIG TWO get more ratings. Luckily I also have the Samsung Galaxy S2 but others aren't so lucky
Contributor
MRT502
My Device: BB Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

Has there been any update about this?

I left my 9900 in bedside mode lat night, turned it bak on this morning and several messages came through and then it just froze.  I pulled the battery, wated long enough to make a coffee and put it back in.  Nothing except the red LED flashing a status code of 1:3.

Is there nothing that can be done at this end or am I doomed to return to my rther unhelpful carrier?

Many thanks.

Contributor
xamr1
My Device: 9930

Still no solution or acknowledgement of the issue by RIM. Fat Chance of this happening. Your best bet is to return the phone and get a REFURBISHED phone because the customs is at FAULT for leaving the phone to charge overnight.
Contributor
zMastaa

I sent my 9900 back to t-mobile about 2 days after writing the original post, they still have it now, waiting for my text to say the phone has been fixed/replaced.

Contributor
MRT502

That's just it - my phone was not left on charge overnight. :mansad:

Contributor
zMastaa

I don't think its a battery charging issue, i just think its a hardware failure, ur BB sounds fubar mate. Best thing to do is go to a vodafone store for them to send it away.
bweber

[ Edited ]

I had the exact same problem...it's not a battery problem...it's a hardware problem.....there is no fix other than a new device....see my experience also.....  http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Bold/My-9900-Nightmare-with-Rogers/td-p/1401093

Contributor
MRT502

[ Edited ]

An update...

I took the handset down to my local Vodafone store.  The salesperson I spoke to was very unhelpful and even rude.  Despite acknowledging that this was a manufacturing fault and that the handet was only 6 weeks old, I could not have a courtesy phone whilst I waited 4-6 weeks for the handset to be sent back to RIM because it was a warranty issue and not an insurance claim.  Furthermore, I could not have a rebate on my bill despite the fact that they would be leaving me without a handset for at least a month.  When I asked to speak to the manager, I was told that there would not be a manager in store until Thursday at the latest (today is Monday!)

My response was to pick up my handset and walk out.

15 minutes later at home, I called VF customer service from my wife's phone.  The gentleman there was very helpful and, not only did he lodge a complaint against the store (totally unprompted) but also arranged a next day delivery of a replacement handset.  No argument.  No fuss. 

Obviously only time will tell if I get the replacement handset tomorrow, but here's hoping.

Just to reiterate though - THIS IS A KNOWN MANUFACTURING FAULT IN EARLY(ISH) 9900s