Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
synthetic-darkness
My Device: bold 9900
Accepted Solution

Bold 9900 signal help...

My Signal status says -77 dBm. Is that good or bad? Can some explain to me what that means I saw somewhere I need -95 dBm to stream Youtube videos how can I get my signal higher?
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: Bold 9900 signal help...

Since they're negative numbers the higher the number the lower the signal. You're doing great at -77 dBm.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor
synthetic-darkness

Is being - a bad thing for boost? Should I have 95 dBm.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

All is well. You're fine.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
kimhoithanbao
My Device: BlackBerry® Bold™ 9930

Hi,

Can some one please help, I keep getting SOS on my phone, and in a really good area,this happens a lot, phone is new and only join Vodafone in feb from coming from a different network, this is becoming to be a pain now, I can't try my sim in another phone as other people r on a differentnetwork,   

Please help

Contributor
synthetic-darkness

Have you called your service provider on the issue? They might be able to tell you if their network is down or reset your network.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

kimhoithanbao wrote:

I keep getting SOS on my phone, and in a really good area,this happens a lot

you know you are connected to the mobile phone network through antennas. The areas around those antennas are called "cells", hence the name "cellular network".

Each carrier has its own antennas, meaning at a given location, you can be in a cell for a carrier, but not for another (because that other carrier does not have an antenna nearby).

what happens when your phone displays X or SOS, means that your phone cannot connect to an antenna from your carrier.

the difference between X and SOS, is that :

• with X : your phone is far from all mobile antennas (from your carrier, and from other carriers). for instance in an underground parking lot.
  • with SOS : your phone can connect to another carrier's antenna. You can initiate a phone call to call the police (911 in the USA, 112 in Europe and so on)

I don't know how it is in the USA, but in France, the citizens have access to the exact location of every single mobile phone antenna across the country, with the carrier that owns them. So we can look at those maps before subscribing to a carrier (irrelevant in cities, since there are antennas everywhere, but crucial in the countryside).

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: