Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
Westcountryboy78
My Device: Bold 9900

Bold 9900 switching off randomly.

I have had a Bold 9900 for a little over a week now, whilst the battery is not that great on it (even with auto power off turned on and screen brightness right down) my major issue seems to be with the it switching off and rebooting randomly. 

Some days it will go the whole day without doing it, others it will do it three or four times during the day, sometimes during a call, sometime when it is just sat in my pocket.

I have seen other threads on here about the issue but nothing seems to come up with a definitive answer or solution to the problem, are Blackberry going to do a software update or is mine just a bad phone that needs exchanging sooner rather than later?

I previously had a 9780 which never missed a beat so hope that this issue can be sorted on this phone. 

Retired
FrankieS
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: Bold 9900 switching off randomly.

[ Edited ]

Hi Westcountryboy78,

Welcome to the Support Community!

Have you been able to test your BlackBerry® Bold™ 9900 smartphone with another battery to rule out any issue with the battery itself?

Thanks.

-FS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
Westcountryboy78

FS

Just spent best part of 2 hours on and off, backing up, doing a clean reload and then restoring all the data back to the phone and ten minutes after that I put the phone back down on the desk and it switches off again.

So, in answer to your question, no a clean reload seems to make no difference to the issue in question.

Since posting originally on Thursday, I have discovered that with even the slightest of bumps, ie taking out of pocket and putting on desk, or putting on a table in a restuarant, even with an otterbox commuter case the phone switches off. 

As someone who uses this phone for business, not fun, and after having a faultless 9780 for almost 2 years I am extremely dissapointed with what was supposed to be Blackberry's flagship business model.   I had hoped that everything I had read on this forum prior to purchase was an exageration but so far the extremely negative reports seem to be entirely accurate.  Standards of certainly slipped with this. 

Perhaps RIM would be kind enough to provide their thoughts on this model as when I spoke to the helpline at Orange they did not seem that surprised with any of the issues that I was experiencing. 

New Contributor
Westcountryboy78

Ok, so have just five minutes ago taken delivery of another BB 9900. 

Reloaded all my data onto the new handset. 

Tap, and I mean tap, the bottom corner of the handset onto on A4 pad and the thing switches off just like the one I exchanged five minutes previously.  I had notticed that the old one seemed to switch off at the slightest sign of impact, (as well as completely randomly during a call etc) does anyone think this may be a faulty battery that is not somehow sitting in the phone corectly?