Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
Stargate-Sentinel
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Orange
Accepted Solution

Bold 9900 will not recognize new SIM card

I have recently been given a Bold 9900 as a gift. I believe the phone was originally used on the Orange network.

I have tried replacing the original Orange SIM card with my Three 'pay-as-you-go' SIM card, When I switch on the phone I get the message ' SIM not recognized '  and a dialogue box asking me to enter an unlock code for the SIM.

Does the above mean that the phone is locked to the Orange network. If so, how do I get the unlock code for the new SIM card ?

Best regards,

SS

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Bold 9900 will not recognize new SIM card

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

You actually have potentially two issues to deal with...when BBs are manufactured, they are "locked" to their original carrier, and cannot be used on any other carrier until that MEP is unlocked. Refer:

But, the error message you state does not quite match what I'd expect from an MEP lock...but please do check the above post and see if your BB is indeed MEP locked...if so, then yes you do need to unlock it before you can use it on any other carrier.

Or -- some SIM cards are delivered with a code of their own necessary to unlock and use them. But the provider of the SIM card would be who must also provide you with that unlock code (if this is what applies in your situation).

So, I'd suggest you first check to see if your device remains MEP locked...if so, get a code (you may have to pay) and unlock it. Then try the SIM again. If it still then fails, contact your SIM provider.

Also, please do check with your preferred mobile service provider to be 100% certain that your specific BB model is 100% compatible with their network for all services.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Stargate-Sentinel
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Orange

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt response to my post.

I have confirmed that the Bold 9900 is locked to Orange.

I received several 'unlock' codes from "bbunlockers". I followed their unlock procedures to the letter, but none of the codes work. I now only have 4 attempts left, so I'm not sure where to go from here. 

What next ?

Best regards,

SS

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

If they provided you with incorrect codes, then your recourse is with them. There are also other code providers to try, but you are running out of attempts. If you fail those last 4 times, then it will be permanently hard-locked, and only the factory will be able to unlock it.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.