Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Trusted Contributor
DaedalusWren
My Device: Pearl 8100 -> Bold 9000 -> Bold 9780 -> Bold 9930 -> Bold 9780 -> Bold 9900

Bold 9930 and the Facts and Finds I have Found while trying to unBrick my phone.

[ Edited ]

Hi, I have in the past left messages on other older threads regarding my adventures in the procedures of bringing my 9930 back from the brick pile. I have attempted those tried and true methods that some others have had some success with. I have tried methods that others have suggested and also tested several of my own theories in the elusive search for the ultimate fix that will allow others who have bricked 9930/9900 Bolds and either have no warranty through expiry of warranty, or like me and so many others, have bought their phone through E-Bay or some other site that resemble online classified ads. Therefore, to keep a little tighter control over my postings and enable me to follow just one thread instead of many, I bring you my compilation of failures, successes and discoveries in the hopes that someone else may just read this and something may spark and become the beginning of a solution. Please read through and your comments regarding this issue are not only welcome but truly needed. If you can verify any of the steps and outcomes that I have found that will also be extremely helpful in the ultimate solution. Thank you all for your time and interest.

Remember, There is never a stupid question, just stupid answers.

("If any advice that was offered by me helped, Please click on the Thumbs up on the post or click Accept as Solution. Thanks and it was nice to help you out ")

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
DaedalusWren
My Device: Pearl 8100 -> Bold 9000 -> Bold 9780 -> Bold 9930 -> Bold 9780 -> Bold 9900

Re: Bold 9930 and the Facts and Finds I have Found while trying to unBrick my phone.

Original Post Feb/2/12

Well, I'm not sure how long my 9930 is having to convalesce after its recovery mode and reinstall, but mine seems to have opted to receive the extended recovery path. All joking asside, My 9930 was purchased from the US, and I have no waranty option. I have tried everything under the sun from the simple (Battery Pull) to the extreme, (total wipe and reinstall of three different vresions of the offical Verison OS) if by some chance I may have overlooked something. I would truly appreciate someone offering the details of their Positive experience getting their 9930 to boot again. Thanks...

("If any advice that was offered by me helped, Please click on the Thumbs up on the post or click Accept as Solution. Thanks and it was nice to help you out ")

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
DaedalusWren

Re: Bold 9930 and the Facts and Finds I have Found while trying to unBrick my phone.

The following was suggested to me by user attachable.

1. Connected my bb without the battery.

2. Opened blackberry desktop software

3. Update

4. When trying to reconnect to jvm I inserted the battery and hit retry a couple of times

and Done.

The reply original post date Feb./3/12

Thanks for the possible solution attachable, I have also tried this trick. That was one of the first thing I tried as it has worked many times with "death loop boot" 9000 series. This trick can also be done with the Loader and the /nojvm for people really having a hard time getting it connected through DM. But alas, it had no effect on my little brick...

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
DaedalusWren

The following post was originally posted Feb./3/12

Ok, I have to voice my opinion as to the fault in the 99XX line. Hopefully someone who knows what they are doing, or someone that knows someone else that could delve into this problem may come to the rescue of us all. I know that RIM has said that a "limited number" of the 99XX series of phones has this bricking problem and that they are working on a Software fix for it. I have had many years experience with blackberry phones on the User side and on the Repair side. For many years I have purchased broken or malfunctioning BB's for repair and resale. The thing I see the most in the Malfunctioning side is a bad or incompatible piece of software that was installed has interfered with the core files and caused all the problem. This is fixed 99% of the time by an OS reinstall. The other 1% ends up being hardware related. I have never come across a beast such as the 99XX and its refusal to progress further then a slow blinking red led and black screen.

So, with all the afore mentioned experience I have come up with my own hypotheses on the problem.

Blackberry may indeed come up with a software fix, but because of the area of memory that has been compromised (the non volatile Boot region) either

1)we will never see the fix given out to the general public because it would mean that the software needed to install such a fix would be in-house software and BB would not want such a tool out in the hands of the community

-or-.

2)We may see such a fix in the public arena but, there would also seem to be a hardware problem that is allowing the Boot memory region to be compromised. So such a fix would at best be a stop gap for the true originating problem. We may end up installing the "Fix" over and over as our 99XX's continue to brick whenever this compromise occurred.

So, there you have it, My own personal opinion of the problem at hand.

If someone out there knows what they are doing and could dump the full Boot region of their 9930, find a program that could write to this region on the phone. I am more then willing to use my Brick as a guinea pig for programming. Just think, we could be the saving grace of the Bold 99XX using community.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
DaedalusWren

The Following was originally posted Feb./5/12

OK, for once I have something positive, The following is what I did to start getting the hourglass back up on the screen between the rebooting. First I ran a file I have found to totally wipe the memory of the 9930 and leave it with only a small boot stub. Unfortunately I can not name it here. I did not know it was not allowed but it is not hard to find with a search. Now this I have used for other phones and what you get after it is usually a white screen with an error. Not so on my brick, just seemed to continue the same maddening cycle of boot loop. I then tried in vain, several attempts to use the Loader /resettofactory trick. Did not seem to work. Then I found one of the earliest versions of the 9930 OS I had on my computer which was a file named

9930cmpttAMEA_PBr7.0.0_rel1341_PL5.0.0.459_A7.0.0.254.exe from Verizon version 7.0.0.254.

Which I got here

( http://pcdn1-download.vzw.com/win/A7.0/9930cmpttAMEA_PBr7.0.0_rel1341_PL5.0.0.459_A7.0.0.254.exe

The second link is for the next update Verizon released and the next OS I am going to flash to the phone to see if it gives me any further advancement.

( http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-bold-9930-9900-f235/latest-official-9930-os-7-0-0-374-verizo... )

After I flashed  OS 7.0.0.254 to the phone it failed to reconnect to JVM, I closed out and sat in awe and amazement as I watched the hourglass pop onto the screen between boots for about 6 seconds. I know, Whoopee. But it is still a step in the right direction... There may just be life after death... I hope this helps someone else to bring their phone one step further out of the grave...

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
DaedalusWren

One thing further. I have also tried the battery pull and another technique that has been mentioned to stop the broken boot cycle which is the following. It still did not work for me. But it may work for you.

- Turn your BlackBerry phone over and remove the back cover. Remove the BlackBerry battery for one minute.

- Hold the red "End" button down as you replace the battery. The red LED light will stop blinking and stay on.

- Hold down the green "Call" button for a moment and then hold down the red "End" button. Alternate pressing these two buttons until you see the hourglass icon on the screen of your BlackBerry. Stop alternating between the buttons and wait for your BlackBerry phone to finish booting up.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
DaedalusWren

Does anybody know if the OS v.7.0.0.254 from Verizon was the base OS that was originally shipped with the 9930, or is there an even earlier version that someone might point me in the right direction to find? I just did the update from version 7.0.0.254 to 7.0.0.374 and my little hour glass went away. Going to try a Sprint version I found, ( 001.9930AMEA_PBr7.0.0_rel1296_PL5.0.0.442_A7.0.0.241_Sprint_L.P.exe ) I hope that since it has a older release version and the Version number is also older that it will be more basic in design and may bring my phone back to life..

Stay tuned for more exciting twists and turns on "My Bricked BB"

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
DaedalusWren

Results of flashing different version numbers of BB OS to my Bricked 9930.

I truly hope someone is watching this that has some working knowledge of the BB OS7 structure and how/why this may be happening. Perhaps even some BB engineer.

NOTE: The following procedures were all concluded with several battery pulls for the end result; and the Aprox. 

timings are relative to the power state. All tests were conducted with the phone connected to the computer with 

the BB data/charge cable. The timings of the Solid red LED are reduced to Aprox. 3 seconds when on battery

power alone and not connected to the computer via the data/charge cable or connected to a wall charger.

Version : Verizon AMEA  V7.1.0.163  rel457

Fails reconnect to JVM in programming

Phone loops through the boot cycle,

red LED solid, black screen for aprox.. 12 seconds.

LED off ,black screen, aprox. 9 seconds, repeats.

Version : Verizon AMEA  V7.0.0.374  rel1739

red LED solid, black screen for aprox. 12 seconds,

Version : Alaska Communications Systems AMEA  V7.0.0.362  rel1702

red LED solid, black screen for aprox. 12 seconds,

Version : Verizon AMEA  V7.0.0.254  rel1341

Phone loops through boot cycle,

red LED solid, black screen aprox 12 seconds,

followed by LED off, black screen, aprox. 3 seconds,

then, small static hourglass in middle of screen for the remaining 6 seconds of no LED,   

repeats.

Version : Sprint  AMEA  V7.0.0.241 rel1296

Phone loops through boot cycle,

red LED solid, black screen aprox 12 seconds,

followed by LED off, black screen, aprox. 3 seconds,

then, small static hourglass in middle of screen for the remaining 6 seconds of no LED,   

repeats.

So, It would seem that the older versions are at least moving somewhat further into the initial boot software, but are ultimately, being ejected from the code by an illegal system call, a misplaced bit, or any number of things in the myriad of possible offenders.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
DaedalusWren

Moving right along, I decided to use the latest version that showed any promise of possible life which was ver. V7.0.0.254  rel1341 from Verizon. So now I start trying all the little hints and tricks that have filtered down through grapevine over the last few months. Nothing changes the boot loop routine except one thing, that I have tried to reproduce without success. I tried the tip of holding down the "escape" or "back" key (the one just to the right of the trackpad) while booting to boot into "safe mode" I tried it without pulling the battery through several iterations of the boot loop without incident. Then I tried holding the button down while doing a battery pull. Here is the crazy part. I tried this several times and on about the 4th time I received a white screen with a small box for about 1 second, in the top of the box it said "Data Abort" below that "reset" then it was gone and the phone continued it's looping. Now, 10 times trying to reproduce that result have been a lesson in futility. But, perhaps that will make a lightbulb pop on somewhere out there...

Update: I have managed to recreate the white screen and "Data Abort/Reset" using the battery pull and escape held three more times, for less then a second before it continues it's looping.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
DaedalusWren

Well I had put my Bold 9930 away for a bit to clear my mind of it and come back to hopefully see something I may have overlooked and I may have something I am going to try in a bit, but first off, I tried pulling the battery and while holding the "escape" or "back" key reinserted the battery. This after fully charging the battery in an external charger. When I did this something occurred that I have never seen before nor have seen in the past half hour of trying to recreate the reaction. A dim red light became visible through the lower trackpad and out of sync with the red boot light began cycling through the boot loop. Any comments on any similar incidents?

Please use plain text.