Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
jikpeme
My Device: Blackberry 9000 Bold
Accepted Solution

Bold Software update clean install

I was interested in the post by Bifocal who recommended "clean install of the Device Software. I would be obliged if he could explain the advantages of this procedure and what happens to the previously stored data at the end of the procedure. Do the new software data synchronise with Outlook or Yahoo and will Blackberry be available to be loaded?
Please use plain text.
Elite I
jmrmb80
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: Bold Software update clean install

I've only ever needed to do it once myself. When you install a newer version it will automatically overwrite the previous install. However some people get errors about missing DLL or other files from the previous install.

In a perfect world you wouldn't get such things, but doing the clean uninstall procedure should remove all previous entries of the old software so that you won't run into any errors when you update your software.

I'm sure Bifocals will chime in with his thoughts when he gets online   :smileyhappy:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

[ Edited ]

Hi and welcom to the forums,

Are you talking about upgrading your device or just wiping the data

prior to reinstalling the same OS?

Thanks

Message Edited by Bifocals on 10-23-2008 07:39 PM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jikpeme

I am talking about an upgrade to the new Device software. I have downloaded the Desktop and new Device softwares but have not yet installed them. I am wary about deleting data that I have on the Device, hence my query about a "clean install" I am prepared to follow Bifocals advice if i am sure all previously installed data will reappear. I would also like to know how to synchronise to Microsoft Outlook instead of Yahoo, and wether the new Device software has Blackberry Maps.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

HI,

Please make sure that you have a good backup of your data, as it will be wiped out when you follow this procedure.

Please specify what PC, operating system, Version of outlook and Version of desktop Manager you are using.

Thanks

Here is the procedure to upgrade the software.

Step #1

Before starting make sure that BlackBerry Desktop Software is installed on the computer.

Step#2

Make sure that you have installed updated device software installed in your PC. Check this link to get update device software from carrier OS download site.

Step#3

Users can perform a full or selective backup of the data using the Backup and Restore tool in BlackBerry Desktop Manager by completing the following steps:

1. Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer running BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
  2. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
  3. Double-click Backup and Restore.
  4. Select Backup to perform a full backup or select Advanced to perform a backup of specific databases.
  5. Choose a location to save the backup file, then click Save.

Step#4

To perform a clean install of the BlackBerry Device Software, perform the following steps:

1. Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer and open BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
  2. Double-click the Application Loader icon.
  3. Click Next to start the installation process.
  4. Type your BlackBerry smartphone password, if prompted, and click OK.
  5. Click the check boxes next to the names of the applications you want to load, and then click Next.
  6. Click Advanced, and then click the check box beside Erase all currently installed applications.
  7. Click Next.
  8. Click the check box next to Do not automatically backup the application data during the loading process.
  9. Clear the box next to Backup and restore applications installed wirelessly.
  10. Click Next > Finish.
  11. When the process has completed, the message The loading operation was successful will appear. Click Close to return to BlackBerry Desktop Man

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jikpeme

HI, Bifocals,

My PC is a Sony running Windows XP. I am running Outlook 2007. I have installed BB desktop Manager v4.6.0B15 multilanguage with Media Manager.. The Dwvice software is v4.6.0.292

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

Hi,

I would remove media manager as it is extrelmly unstable.

Here is the correct install package for XP:

Use this link to uninstall the current DM

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB02206&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

Download DM 4.5  without Media manager. MM is very unstable:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22

Download these USB drivers for 4.5

BlackBerry USB and Modem Drivers ENG (DM4.5 B13)

• File size: 12.33545 MB
  • Date posted: 24-June-07
  • Download Software

Here is the manual:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/deliverables/3392/Desktop_enterprise_45_final_492431_11.pdf

Cold boot the PC. Turn of all virus checkers and firewalls.

Install the DM and configure for Outlook 2003.

On the BB:

Pull the battery while the device is ON, replace after a minute, Let the device reboot 1-3 min,

Start the DM and plug the BB into the USB.cable

Sync.

Let us know how it goes.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jikpeme

Thanks, seems very complicated for me

I'll give it a try.

Please use plain text.