Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
SmartFoneAddict
My Device: Not Specified

Bold Stability

I have been a committed BlackBerry user for some time and recently upgraded to Bold.  While I like the overall design and feel of the unit, unfortunately I am finding quite a few little challenges and potential stability issues and wonder if others are experiencing the same or similar problems:

1. Various little glitches - some of which requiring a full reset.  For example:

- Launching into a create SMS or email function and finding that the "To:" address entry field doesn't look up the name in the Address Book and once even locked up when selecting "Choose Address" from the context menu.

- Sometimes the system goes slow and a time clock icon appears continuously.  Although things continue work, the system has slowed down and needs to be reset.

2. Seemingly poorer Bluetooth reliability

I have excellent bluetooth support in my car.  While my previous BB units would link up 99% of the time when I get to the car.  I have found that I needed to coax my Bold a few times over the 2 weeks that I have had it.

3. Issues while roaming on T-Mobile Edge network

I recently roamed in Kansas City and found that no emails were going through even though I had an "EDGE" connection.  It seemed as thought the data connection got very lost/confused.  Even when I returned to my home zone (Rogers) that evening all of the internet services were disconnected and I had to coax them to reconnect by turning data servces on and off.  This had never happened previously on my Pearl or other previous BBs.

4. WiFi issues

I noticed a series of problems in logging on to major hotsports like Waypoint (used at a 4Points Sheraton), Datavalet (in Air Canada lounges) or a CISCO-based guest access point at a major private corporation.  Although the unit connects properly with the access point, the browser was unable to properly display the logon pages and so I was NOT able to get a connection.  I have not yet tried OperaMini in these settings since I don't have it installed ... but I tried my iPOD Touch WiFi in the first two of these settings and the Safari browser was perfectly able to let me click-through their logon procedures to access the Internet.

Although not a stability issue, I do find the browser is quite weak in rendering some sites partiularly when compared to iPhone/iPOD touch.  Performance also is not as fast as I expected on either WiFi or 3G ... the former is almost certainly the Bold since my iPOD touch is quite speedy on the WiFi link but for the 3G link I suspect that that could be my service provider.  It is also curiouse that the "Mobile Network" menu on Bold is different than on the WiFi enabled Pearl.  It seems that the latter allows WiFi to be set as a preference.  I am not sure of the impact but wonder why what appeared to be a configuration feature would be dropped?!?

Anyway, I am hopeful that there will be some sort of maintenance release to resolve some of these issues.   In the meantime I am curious if it's just me (i.e. "stupid user" and/or a "lemon BOLD" issues) or if there is really a bit of a stability challenge.

SmartFoneAddict

Forums Advisor I
JeremyKitching
My Device: Curve 8900

Re: Bold Stability

What operating system are you running on the device? I think there will be some operating system updates that will help with the stability.
New Contributor
SmartFoneAddict

I am running v4.6.0.125 (Platform 4.0.0.134) which appears to be the latest one "formally" available through the www.blackberry.com Rogers download area.  Rogers themselves has a "v4.6.0.242" version but I think that's just a "bundle" number which contains the same OS/platform combo... I am downloading it now to confirm.

After sending my post I did see some other posts related to memory leaks (including ones in which you have weighed in as well) and suspect that could be part of the stability (although perhaps not the browser / WiFi) issues.   After boot up I see 21.1MB but that slides down to 16.1MB after a few minutes of operation (even without doing much of anything) and sometimes even as low as 12 MB.  I do have a few apps loaded (e.g. GoogleTalk, Live Messaging, Facebook, etc. ... although I don't launch them daily), use the map functions every other day or so, l have a lot of contacts & appointments, and also maintain an active WiFi connection when I am at home or at the office.

Contributor
francoys
My Device: Bold 9900

I've also observed a memory leak, which is the main reason why I brought up the question, in another thread, of how to hard reset without physically opening the Bold. (FYI, simultaneously hold down alt-rightShift-del until the screen goes black)

The leaks I observed would have me reset, start at 28Mb of app memory, and sometimes go down as low as 6Mb. I do have a few 3rd-party apps such as Facebook, Flickr, Google Maps, GMail and Google Chat. And I'm currently running on Platform 4.0.0.134.

New Contributor
SmartFoneAddict

Just to add to this thread ... I did try the Opera Mini browser to resolve the hotspot logon issue (#4 in my original post) but since it actually goes through a proxy (for improved performance and re-rendering), it does no better in overcoming the logon page issues faced by the Blackberry Browser.   I am still curious to hear if other folks have run into issues when trying to connect through hotspots that require a click-through page and/or other script-driven logon.

Are there any other browsers out there that run on the Bold?