Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

gregusmeus
My Device: Not Specified

Bold crashing

My Bold is running v4.6.0.126 Platform 4.0.0.135 on Vodafone in the UK. It is crashing about twice a day, seemingly at random. Is this typical? Is there any newer (and more stable) device software I can upgrade to? Additionally, sometimes when moving from an area of no reception to an area of reception, the phone doesn't detect the network unless I turn off and on the wireless reception. Any suggestions?
Please use plain text.
EricB

Re: Bold crashing

Everyone in our office have been having the same issue - crashing Bolds - so much so, we now call them Crashberrys

After a lot of digging we found this little tech note. 

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB16178&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

What scares me is that this note has been up since July!!! We are seriously thinking returning these and puchasing a different product for our team.

If there is anyone from RIM that wants to comment we would be thrilled...

Regards

Eric

Please use plain text.
Developer
Xcist
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9000
My Carrier: Rogers

There is definitely newer software out - and I highly, highly recommend you to upgrade to it.

You are currently on 4.6.0.126.... and the latest official software out is 4.6.0.162!

I wrote up this guide a little while ago:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=Bold&thread.id=2120

Just make sure you delete the vendor.xml file BEFORE step 6, and the software will work perfect even thoguh you are on Vodafone.

Please use plain text.
EricB

Thanks for this info Xcist - interestingly our comapny is actually on Rogers (the original writer of the thread was on Vodaphone). When we called Roger tech support they repeatedly told us they knew of the issue but there were no upgrades for the Rogers version and we would have to wait a few months to get an upgrade to address this issue. Even when we called yesterday (Oct 10) we were told the same thing.

Now this morning on Crackberry I see

Rogers Bold Owner? Upgrade Your Operating System Now!!!

http://crackberry.com/rogers-bold-owner-upgrade-your-os-now

You write the crackberry post too? Either way, thanks for the help. We will let the forum know how it goes...

Eric B
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
GapBoyPCS

I only found out about the OS update yesterday as well through a lot of the other BlackBerry and wireless forums. It may have well been that the Rogers tech support person wasn't fully aware that RIM was going post an update that day.

Please use plain text.
gregusmeus

Xist - I followed your update instructions in the other thread.  I got to Step 6 okay, but plugging the Bold in and starting the Desktop Software didn't prompt an upgrade, nor did starting the App Loader.  How do I actually get the new software onto the Bold?
Please use plain text.
gregusmeus

Xcist - ignore last post!  For some unexplained reason the vendor.xml file I deleted managed to undelete itself and I think this was preventing the Desktop Software from initialising the upgrade.  I've since re-deleted the vendoe.xml file and the upgrade is in progress as I type.

Many thanks for the help.

Please use plain text.