Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
recordingnut
My Device: Not Specified

Bold keyboard gone crazy

My phone (a Bold) worked perfect until I received a phonecall that kept ringing even though I pressed the green answer key.

Other than the green phone key problem, the red key would type an "m" and bring the phone application. There´s more keboard errors, but to make it short, it went crazy.

After that I have performed a soft and hard reset but the problem continued. The solution was a "wipe handheld" option under Options-Security options-[menu key] wipe handheld.

This erased all data and restored the factory condition. The issue was solved!

Please use plain text.
kimie

Re: Bold keyboard gone crazy

Hi!

I'm having similar problems with my keyboard.

Can you explain step by step on how to get to the "wipe handheld" option?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

kimie wrote:

Hi!

I'm having similar problems with my keyboard.

Can you explain step by step on how to get to the "wipe handheld" option?

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

To wipe, follow these instructions:

• KB14058 Delete all data and applications from the BlackBerry smartphone using the Wipe Handheld option

However, to correct the OP, a wipe does not return to factory fresh condition. See this KB for a list of what it does do:

• KB16307 Actions that the BlackBerry device performs during BlackBerry device wipe processes

To truly restore to factory condition, see this post:

Warning - in all cases, these actions will wipe out all of your data (contacts, calendar, messages, etc.). If you need that data, perform a backup first and then use that to restore after the wipe is complete. Be careful of what you restore...something you backed up may well be the cause of the problem, and the restore may re-introduce the situation.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Josemos
My Device: Bold 9000

Hi,

So I am having the same "crazy keyboard" problem on my AT&T Bold 9000.  When I push the Send key, the phone types the letter k...When I push the end key, the phone types "nm"...and pushing in the trackball gets me "hl" typed in.

I figured I should just wipe the phone, but when I try to do that I have to type "blackberry" to confirm.  Well the only other key that doesn't work is the "a" key, it types "ou" when I press it.  Since I can't spell Blackberry, I can't wipe it!  Help! 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
recordingnut

Just keep trying. Reboot the phone over and over until you get the chance to type the password. The sympthoms are random and you may get a chance to type"Blackberry". The same happened to me, but I got the chance after waiting several days. You may even get the notion that the problem is resolved by itself, but you will still need to wipe the phone regardless. Good luck!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
recordingnut

By the way, I am already migrating to Iphone. I am tired that blackberry won't care about the issues that we report. I already spent too much time trying to cope with a phone that has lousy intertent browsing and too many issues with its operating system...

Please use plain text.
deviant
My Device: Bold 9000

My Bold had this problem as well. If you have done backups with the download manager, just do a full restore on the blackberry. Fixed mine and havent had the problem since. Hope this helps some. If you don't do backups, I would highly recommend doing so!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mediabirdie
My Device: BBZ10 (so far), Playbook

Just keep trying until you may get a chance to type blackberry?   This is the second  Bold9000 that has had the same hissy fit where any keystroke brings up the h's in contacts.  Can't answer calls, can't end calls, can't type anything.  So relieved to read a user say every stroke of the 'a' key brings up 'ou'....that is exactly what happened to me.

Rogers sent it off to RIM for repair - and it came back "unrepairable".

Got a replacement Bold 9000 - and now less than 10 weeks later - same problem all over again.

Another $35.00 repair estimate fee plus another $75.00 repair fee plus another month without a phone - this insanity has got to stop.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

those devices you buy are second hand devices and not new devices?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.