Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
Frederick
My Device: Not Specified

Bold on Orange UK. 12 Days use and many problems.

I bought my Bold (BB) on the release day to replace an 8820 . This is a listing on the problems I have experienced.

BB reboots itself several times each day. One cause may be (not prove) if there is an incoming message when the media player is running this causes a crash. There may be other causes.

I live in an area of mostly strong  outdoor signal stength but poor indoors. BB frequently looses Orange service both indoors and out and displays SOS only. The only way to restore service is to switch off/on. Often much time may elapse before I note it is not on the air. This for me is a big issue.

The network strength display is often wrong i.e. indicating max strength when in a poor coverage spot. It often freezes. When frozen the BB will not switch off. Removing the battery is the only way to force a reboot. This appears linked to the problem above.

Often a network strength will be indicated but no network name. Reboot resolves.

There is no UMA support. My 8820 had it and it is very useful. I do not know if there are plans to introduce. It will be a big disappointment if the Bold does not offer UMA.

The Desktop Manager b12 in the Orange CD hangs when opening Roxio media manager. b15 on the RIM website seems ok ONCE LOADED. When it was installed it appeared to cause my PC to hang in shutdown. I had to pull the plug!.

The battery lasts max 15 hours with 15 mins calls, 1 hour surfing, 15mins Bluetooth. mixed signal stength area.

I do hope an updated build is available soon.

Oh ....I should add. My Orange 8820 rarely gave any problems at all.

Contributor
jma78b
My Device: Blackberry 9000 Bold

Re: Bold on Orange UK. 12 Days use and many problems.

I cant help you cos mine does the same too and I've had it a week. Just seen a new OS download for it so I will see if it works.  Waited so long for this phone and its dissapointing that its not doing what I want.
Contributor
Frederick

A few days on and yet more problems.

I have noted the phone will sometimes indicate Orange and good signal strength but fail to connect when a call is attempted. Call failed appears in the screen.  The phone will not switch off in this state. A battery removal reboot fixes. That is so frustrating because a glance at the screen to confirm all is well does not accurately reveal the state of the device.

Next problem. BBC iPlayer will not run. It loads very very slowly  and then fails with the message "download not available". I am informed the iPhone on O2 plays the BBC iPlayer perfectly. I do not know if Orange have disabled this form of streaming or if it is a problem with the configuration or a limitation of the device.

All of the previosly reported problems, for me, remain.

I am beginning to feel with my recent experiences the software on this device is not yet fully fit for purpose.  It feels like a rushed Beta release. 

What a pity.

RIM, for me your halo has slipped.

Contributor
Frederick

During a trip up the M4 to Birmingham this am the problems with my Bold freezing reoccurred several times. I have never experienced this with my 8820. In the main network coverage on the M4 is very good. As a workaround I have now resorted to removing the back cover and leaving it off. Battery removal reboots are now much easier to achieve.

Unfortunately my Bold hangs or freezes so frequently it is for me unusable as a business tool.

I have taken the decision to go back to my 8820 until Orange either take back the Bold or fixes are available for problems.

It would be very helpful if RIM or Orange were to issue a communication giving detail of the actions (with timescales) they are taking to resolve the issues which are possibly affecting a large section of the user base.

New Contributor
matthewbunce

I dont think the issue with iPlayer is related to the BBC blocking iPlayer from mobile data networks due to them not knowing where the device is. I cannot access iPlayer from my Bold, a HSDPA datacard and a laptop tethered via a Nokia E51. All give me the same error that they cannot identify where I am from so are blocking access. I think it is something to do with the licensing restrictions and the content is only available for UK license payers.
Contributor
purpledragon

I'll add my name to this list as well - I'm having EXACTLY the same problems and I've also had my phone on Orange UK on the day it was released.  To add to the list of problems I can't send MMS even though Orange confirm it's enabled on my account - they "helpfully" sent me the service books again for it but this hasn't sorted it.

Perhaps the most annoying thing of all for me is that despite numerous calls to Orange they are absolutely useless, promises of call backs from their tech teams never materialise, and the people you do get to speak to just haven't got a clue.  I can't face calling them again to tell another halfwit all of the problems I'm having with the device.

I've also this afternoon upgraded to software version 4.6.0.126 platform 4.0.0.135 and this seems to have made no difference, which is a shame as lots of other people have reported that it fixed their problems :smileysad:

Contributor
jma78b

Oh shi*! My blackberry has died! I connected it this evening to the laptop to get charged up. Didnt do anything else. About 1/2 an hour a go it kept disconnecting and rebooting itself. Then I had a whitescreen which says in tiny writing App error 205. I disconnected it from the laptop and took the battery out. Put it back in after 10 mins and I had a proper egg timer. The blackberry bold doesnt have that shape egg timer! Then it gave me the white screen and the App error 205 again! HELP!!! What do I do now? :smileysad: :
Contributor
Frederick

Re: Bold on Orange UK. Experience of v4.6.0.126

Weds 3rd Sept. 

Yesterday I replaced the supplied f/w v4.6.0.92 with the above (Orange's French build) See another of my posts for a my experiences there.

Following the f/w update for me the position has improved but 1 major problem remains.

Improved. 1) Phone no longer crashes. 2) Battery life seems better 3) Phone holds onto the Orange GPRS and EDGE signals and recovers service if lost after going into an area with no cover. Phone no longer locks up (freezes). If allways responds to a power off button press.

If appears never to select 3G when set to 2G+3G mode. even if in a stong 3G signal area.

Major Problem. When set in 3G mode only the phone behaves as follows.

1) In good 3G coverage area signal is guickly obtained and indicated. After 5 seconds signal is lost. Phone goes searching for network and after a while ends up SOS calls only. It then remains in this state until switched off when quickly obtains a 3G signal and the sequence repeats itself.

Is RIMS new flagship being scuttled? Could they do with a PM to sort. if yes please call :-)

Contributor
Frederick

Friday 5th September

I have been told that the problem I detailed on my last post with the phone not properly locking onto the 3g is because of an issue with the SIM Card. If that is correct I have not experienced any significant issues with this build.

Contributor
jma78b

Well I called Customer services today to complain about network coverage and thet said  I have only got 2 masts in my area. I'm not sure what the usual amount is. They said they could see I hadnt been using it like normal and they said I could bring it in for a refund. So I am. Its the Orange network thats at fault. I dont think its the phone. I will just have to wait and see if the Bold comes out on a more reliable network. Sucks really. So bye bye Bold for now :smileysad: