Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
Wheatstraw
My Device: Not Specified

Bold will not charge / turn on, battery already replaced

A few weeks ago I put my Bold on the USB cable to charge.  It was not at a low battery or anything.  It immediately shut itself down.

Since then it will not charge nor turn on.  I replaced the battery yesterday and left it charging overnight--when I plug it in (or remove and put back the battery) the red LED stays lit for a few minutes but then goes off.  A couple of times the screen has come on with the "charging" symbol, but it doesn't stay on.  I cannot turn the phone on by pressing the on/off (hang up) button.

What do I try next?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,894
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Bold will not charge / turn on, battery already replaced

[ Edited ]
Leave the device to charge 2-3 hours, and then, still connected to the USB cable, remove the the battery from the device a few seconds and reinsert it. If it boots--leave it to charge to 100% (check Options > Status for the percentage).

If it doesn't boot--try using a wall outlet charger if you are not. If you are connected via USB to the PC, make certain that you have Desktop Manager (or the USB device drivers) installed, which you can download below.

Make certain your USB cable is connected to one of the PC's main rear USB ports. Not a USB hub, nor a monitor USB port, nor a USB port on the front of the PC.

Download Desktop Manager from here:
https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22
Message Edited by JSanders on 12-23-2008 08:36 AM

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Wheatstraw

Thanks, but I already read and attempted this solution.  It doesn't work on either a USB cable or a wall charger.

Next?

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Wheatstraw wrote:

Thanks, but I already read and attempted this solution.  It doesn't work on either a USB cable or a wall charger.

Next?

What did you do? What is "this solution"? I mentioned several.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Wheatstraw

Leave the device to charge 2-3 hours, and then, still connected to the USB cable, remove the the battery from the device a few seconds and reinsert it. If it boots--leave it to charge to 100% (check Options > Status for the percentage).

Left it on the charger overnight.  While still plugged in, removed the battery, waited several seconds, and put it back in.  Does not boot.

If it doesn't boot--try using a wall outlet charger if you are not. If you are connected via USB to the PC, make certain that you have Desktop Manager (or the USB device drivers) installed, which you can download below.

I am using a wall charger.

Make certain your USB cable is connected to one of the PC's main rear USB ports. Not a USB hub, nor a monitor USB port, nor a USB port on the front of the PC.

Since I'm attempting this with AC power the question of whether I am using powered USB ports or not is moot.

Not to be pedantic, but you did not offer "multiple solutions," you offered one and then flogged your software.  I already attempted this solution because I searched the forum before asking.  I appreciate the quick reply, but this isn't working.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Wheatstraw wrote:

Not to be pedantic, but you did not offer "multiple solutions," you offered one and then flogged your software.  I already attempted this solution because I searched the forum before asking.  I appreciate the quick reply, but this isn't working.

Flogged my software? 

Hey, I'm trying to help here. Go beat up on someone closer to you, it won't work on me. And you are being quite pedantic.

Since I don't read minds, I ask those questions first, being very specific as to what I do recommend you try first.

Perhaps someone else around here will care enough to help you now. I don't.

Flogging my softare?

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi and welcome to the forums!

I will try not to be pedantic, pedestrian, or "flog my software".

Purchase another battery and hope that doing a battery pull in full charge didn't completely fry your

device.

Would you like to pursue any other venues?

Thanks,

Bifocals

Please remember to resolve your thread.

Put the check mark in the green box that contained your answer! Thanks 

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi,

Just so you know who you were being rude to.

Battery Use Tips for your Maximum Battery Life

May 20th, 2008 | by JSanders |

http://www.blackberrynews.com/2008/05/20/battery-use-tips-for-your-maximum-battery-life/
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
Visitor
Bradgleman

Hello Wheatstraw,

Just had the exact same problem and tried the fix. It didn't work. It looks like this is a pretty common issue as I've found numerous posts on numerous forums about it.  It looks like it is most likely a hardware issue unfortunately.  I will be calling ATT shortly.  Seems somewhat interesting though as I've never had this issue with previous BBs. 

iPhone is looking more and more attractive.......

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
luken
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9000
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

sigh, i just had the exact same problem which i find very strange since i take pristine care of my bold, especially when it comes to updates and apps.

i was plugging it in my laptop via usb as usual, got the windows ding off and on but mass storage wasnt being detected. i plug it out, phone dies(battery was more than half full during this procedure) with no led indication. ive pulled the battery a couple times now but ive got nothing. no white screen, no battery icon, no led indicators. nothing. my battery is brand new too :smileymad:  so it shouldnt be shot

right now i have it in the wall charger hoping it comes back to life.

its so aggravating knowing that i've done nothing wrong and still fall victim to failure.

i really hope it will comes back to life this morning.

Please use plain text.