Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

My Device: 9700
My Carrier: Bold

Boot fails, how do I reset my bold?

I've had some water damage to my phone, it fell out of hand into a cup of coffee but for bearly a second Smiley Sad. Its spent the last 3 days in the airing cupboard. When the phone starts you get the blackberry booting screen where the horizontal line increments but its gets 75% of the way to the end and then stops and turns off. It then automatically attempts to re-boot repeating the pattern described above. So I cannot get into the blackberry menu screen at all.

I was wondering is there a way to reset the phone to factory setting (i.e.. By holding down a combination of keys) to see if I can salvage the phone.

Any advice would be welcomed.

P.S. This was a xmas present from the wife, Ive not told her whats happened as I like breathing too much....

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700 OS
My Carrier: t-mobile

Re: Boot fails, how do I reset my bold?

To reboot mine, I did

the indicator light should stay red for a few seconds and then shut off.

Forums Advisor II
My Device: 9550 Storm2/Verizon
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Boot fails, how do I reset my bold?

[ Edited ]

Not knowing where you are from an "airing cupboard" as a term escapes me.

That it was only a second is a second too much.

JSanders, one of the best advisors on water damage has posted numerous times on what has been reported to work on getting water damaged devices back from the watery grave.

A search for water damage will most likely bring up his posts.

You have two issues, how long or did you keep power applied after dunking it like a donut?  Was your coffee straight up or heavily laced with cream and sugar?  Not a facetious question as besides simple water damage you could have "sugary gooey" contamination to worry about.

Power while circuits are wet equals fried circuitry.  Sugary might mean you need to remove that mess.  That is paradoxically another dunking.  Removal of the battery until all the cleansing and drying out is critical.

You will need preferrably 200 proof alcohol to cleanse the goo and flush it out of the innards and then follow JSanders water damage procedure.  The higher the proof the better but definitely not a liquor that has any sugars etc.,

Наглый пес! Вы должны быть благодарны мы даем Вам возможность проживать в нашем мире!
BB 9550 Verizon OS My Storm My Blackberry My Lifeline
If there is a Theme on my Blackberry, Hedone it!
If someone successfully helped you with an issue, say thank you by clicking "kudos" in their post and clicking the star.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post that solved it for you!