Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
morrissey
My Device: 9700 ► 9900 ► Q10
Accepted Solution

Bought 'Unlocked' Bold 9900 & it's locked. Need to speak to BlackBerry Support URGENTLY!

Hokay, so...

I bought a Bold Touch 9900 outright from TeleChoice & was assured this phone was unlocked ready for use with any Network's SIM.

On bringing the phone home, I charged it & tried to insert my 3 SIM. The phone still showed 'Insert SIM' & 'SOS Only', as though it didn't recognise my SIM at all. I tried my boyfriend's Optus SIM & voila!; he got network connectivity.

After calling TeleChoice back, I have learned that this is the first time the staff have been provided with a handset for outright sale that was actually still locked. They are trying to negotiate for the unlocking instructions to be given to me, as there aren't many of these handsets around yet, so they can't replace it. Apparently their State Manager in charge of Optus has raised the issue with their IMEI Back Office team, who have taken my details to work with BlackBerry to get an unlock code.

Unfortunately, this whole process is taking a while, as the state manager is in meetings all day & can't constantly work on my problem. So, I've been trying to call Optus & BlackBerry to explain the situation & see if I can't sort something out myself.

Of the 5 Optus employees from different teams that I spoke to last night, noone knew of a way to unlock the phone for me, a non-Optus account holder. The 24/7 BlackBerry Support line looked like an oasis on the horizon but then I wasn't able to get through to anyone because I didn't have a ticket code!!?

I really hope someone here can help me get in touch with the BlackBerry team directly!

Thanks in advance,

Sass

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Bought 'Unlocked' Bold 9900 & it's locked. Need to speak to BlackBerry Support URGENTLY!

the place where you bought it has to unlock it for you

or

look at my signature to unlock it

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
morrissey

Re: Bought 'Unlocked' Bold 9900 & it's locked. Need to speak to BlackBerry Support URGENTLY!

Unfortunately, as I mentioned, they don't have the code already because their stock is usually supplied to them unlocked.. This has never happened to them in the past, so they're doing their best to help me but I'm just frustrated that it's taking so long & I'm still using my dodgy old phone that keeps restarting constantly in the meantime..

Actually, I considered using an online remote unlocking service & did a little research last night to check if there would be any complications with warranty arising from it (- a rumour I'd heard)..

Through looking at this info, I came across images depicting the locked & unlocked versions of the Advanced Settings - SIM screen (i.e. the information shown after you enter MEPD) & it would seem now that my phone is already unlocked, as everyone thought it should be (& an Optus CS rep who I spoke to told me the IMEI was, according to her records)?! So now I'm completely lost for cause.

I'm going to check my phone with a couple of friends' SIM cards today, to confirm whether it is actually unlocked, as it now appears.. but I'm sort of hoping it isn't because unlocking it may be an easier solution than whatever other reason it isn't recognising my SIM!!

Do you have any suggestions for what else might cause this behaviour in my phone? :/

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

possible you have to use a newer type SIM card in it

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
morrissey

That's all I could think of as a simple reason why this might happen too..

Took my phone to the nearest 3 store an hour ago & they guy tried a few different SIMs, established there wasn't any problem with the phone, tried my SIM & it worked?! He didn't do anything differently to what I'd been doing these past few days but for some reason it suddenly worked & I got a message from BB saying my phone had just been connected to BIS.

Moral of the story? Exercise patience when dealing with new phones, I guess?!

I'm so relieved to be using my new phone at last, on this fourth day of having it.

Please use plain text.