Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Super Contributor
simon_a6
My Device: 9900

Re: Brand New 9900 Application Storage Error

Want to accept this as a solution, but the problem isn't resolved.
However, you have explained the reason for the problem: A bug in the Bold 9900 that BB has never resolved. So I will always have to use that shortcut to restart the phone should it have the low memory problem.

It's a solution on how to restart the phone, but it is not a solution to what is causing it.

I doubt strongly it is an application at fault; moreso the device and that known memory leakage.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

simon_a6 wrote:

Total Size: 1678.6K

Address Book - hotmail addressbook: 114/129.6K
Application Permissions: 24/2.3K
(...)

1678K is fine. Let's see elsewhere.

1. home screen >> find the Media pane >> make it big (click on the name of the pane) >> menu >> Memory use
  2. type what you see. For example Total Free / Total Used
  3. then click on the [Details] button
  4. then type here all the lines.
  5. home screen >> find the options icon (wrench) >> Device >> Storage
  6. type here how much "Application storage / free space" you have.
  7. home screen >> find the options icon (wrench) >> Device >> Application management
  8. you will have several lateral pages. Type here the pages for "Memory Now", Usage, CPU now

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,957
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

simon_a6 wrote:

I doubt strongly it is an application at fault; moreso the device and that known memory leakage.

Simon, it's not really a 'bug', but the way the java OS is designed to empty "garbage" on reboot.

Yes, it could be an app or two you have installed, it could also be a lot of media stored in the device's memory or even on the media card, which creates large cache files of the media card if you have a large number of pictures or music stored on the media card.

Honestly, rebooting daily or every couple of days is not a biggie, I don't like it, but it's nothing different than emptying my garbage at home, a chore I don't desire but have to do.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
simon_a6

Empty rubbish at home is something you physically see, as is purposely put into a bin, that when full, you take outside.  The bin in your kitchen is there "to take the rubbish", knowing full well it will fill up.

I did not get this phone, knowing full well the "Application Storage" would drop to 0.0kb, for any reason whatsoever - other than my putting too many apps on my phone.

That indicator figure is stage how much space is has left to "install applications".... isn't it??

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

It also needs that storage space to run the applications doing whatever the java OS needs to do for operations. Running it to 0kb will require it to delete other items (text messages, emails, calendar, etc.) in order to continue running. If it didn't do that it would crash.

Its been like this for years. Its nothing new. Irritatiing, yes. A show stopper? No.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
simon_a6

Not a "show stopper"?  So this is what could be causing my emails to disappear from my phone?

See other thread: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Bold/Emails-disappearing-on-all-accounts/m-p/21126...

If it is the case, that is one SERIOUS FLAW?  If you don't agree, then you have a weird sense of importance.

The phone drops the Application Storage, something perhaps we now have to check every single day, and if it does happen to drop to say 16mb or even 0.0kb, and this can cause emails to vanish..... and you think that's "fine", heavens!

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

If you're letting the memory drop down that low, then yes, that's very likely where your emails are going.
" I reboot every day, sometimes twice a day. It seems to happen more in OS 7..1 than it did in OS 7 or OS6. It's always been an issue if you let it drop down too low. How fast it drops seems to change with each OS. I, too, wish they would/could fix it but for now, I just reboot.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,957
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

simon_a6 wrote:

If it is the case, that is one SERIOUS FLAW?  If you don't agree, then you have a weird sense of importance.

Simon, yea it's not cool. But again, deal with it and know what you're doing.

I've never (ever) had an email or SMS deleted from my device due to low memory. But I know I need to reboot when I need to reboot.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
simon_a6

I'm sorry, but what you are basically saying to me, is if I don't reboot every single day, then i will lose emails?!  (or so it appears, without wanting to place the entire responsiblity on that possible cause).

While this forum is here to tell people what could be the root causes of things, or how to do things, and we must accept them without moaning - I have got to say, if the Bold 9900 or all BBs on OS7 are going to deleting your emails if your "application storage" runs down, i's really **bleep** **bleep** poor!!!  And is enough to make me see the back of Blackberry!

It means, I have to check my App Storage every day, or 3-4 times a day, because if I don't my emails could go into the ether.  It's really rotten.

If you do happen to forget to do the restart one is forced to do - then you will lose emails.  A shop stopper?  YES!

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

We come to this board to help others just like you. We don't work for RIM and we don't write the code that runs the device. We can only tell you what is happening and why your device is giving errors and deleting emails. I'd love to know why my device runs down 100MB per day but I cannot figure out why or what is causing it, it just does.

You do what you need to with the information. FWIW, BlackBerry10 is being launched next week and no longer runs Java OS so no more application memory problems.
Please use plain text.