If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Re: Brand New 9900 Application Storage Error

I just don't know where those apps store their data. Regardless, I'd just keep an eye on the free memory and get in the habit of rebooting the device before the memory gets below about 15MB.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
simon_a6
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: O2

Gotta say, why should we have to keep doing that? Is this the same on other smartphones? Is something draining the memory, constantly, in all our Bolds? And nothing being done about it?
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
simon_a6

Note what I said at the start: it's already now down to 78mb.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

We shouldn't have to do that. However, we do. It doesn't happen to all devices but OS 7.1 devices seem to be the worst.

If it continues to do that, make a full backup of the device, and then do a security wipe, including 3rd party apps. Then restore your backup file (won't restore 3rd party apps) and run the device for a while with no apps installed. See if the problem continues.

Like I said, I do the same thing with my 9810. I've lost 12MB just in the last 2 hours.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
simon_a6

To be really frank John, No. I'm not about to do all that.
I did all the above TWICE with my last 9900, with similar advice. With that and a few other faults on this phone, I got it replaced with this one. So to find this is a "common fault", is a big problem.

We all have to restart or battery pull even day or so? Seriously? Good lord. No wonder some people are "leaving".

These apps were install "fresh" when I moved over to it, so it's not like they were copied over with a fault.

12mb in two hours? Man on man.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

You asked what the problem was. I answered honestly.
Did you try running the device without those applications and see if the memory runs down just as fast?
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
simon_a6

Actually no. The only ones that run all the time, or have been used since I got this new p[hone, are Viber. Not use Nobex at all. Nor The Photo Editor thing. Perhaps I should remove that. However, if it is a known fault, would it do this with only Facebook and BBM installed anyway??
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

Who knows. Also, don't be fooled into thinking that just because you haven't opened an app that it doesn't run in the background. Many apps do things in the background even when not being used. The only way to know for sure is to remove them. I have a feeling Facebook and BBM are some of the biggest culprits of memory leak but I've not uninstalled them to find out.
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
simon_a6

Needless to say, if those two really are not helping the issue, then we (well not you) are all doomed. lol.

And if this continues, not sure I want to still with this phone, or Blackberry. This for me is the best of the BB Bunch, but having o reboot ever day or so for this reason is rather annoying.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

It's only a few weeks until BlackBerry 10. If it weren't for that I'd be gone! BlackBerry 10 doesn't use Java so it will be quite different in this regard.
Please use plain text.