Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

My Device: Blackberry Bold 9790
My Carrier: Fido

Broken Bold 9790 lock button

I just bought my Bold 9790 in the summer and a few weeks later there was a crack starting around the button and just last month, the button completely fell off and fell into the phone. This makes me so angry! this phone was designed crappy when it comes to the lock button being the whole top of the phone.

How can I fix this? I dont want to pay $100 for a flaw in the design. 

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Broken Bold 9790 lock button

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

From what you describe, you should not have to pay for repair as this would be a warranty issue. If you purchased brand new AND from an authorized dealer AND did not agree to any warranty provisions less than what RIM extends, then your warranty should cover this. Then again, if you have already had it warranty evaluated and they determined this to be user-caused damage, then you must escalate with those who you are already in contact with. Further, if you did agree, at time of purchase to less than the standard RIM warranty, then you are contractually bound to that now. Further still, if you did not purchase new and/or did not purchase from an authorized dealer, then it is entirely possible that you indeed have no warranty whatsoever.

So, all in all, from your details, it's impossible to guide you further...but hopefully the above will shed some light on your issue.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Black Berry 9790 Bold
My Carrier: Play

In service mine BB 9790 Bold, they were replace 2 times new housing.

In Poland we don't have an official service.

So I allways need to wait ..... all the time 1,5 month !

Because they send it from Poland to service in UK !

But you are waiting and it's nothing changing, 3 months without Black Berry,and what result we have - zero!

Manufacture problem for all Black Berry 9790 Bold :/

I'm think that only one solution is not to use this lock button on the top.

BB shame on you!!!

My Device: 9790 Bold
My Carrier: Orange Slovakia

I have similar problem, but Orange Slovakia does not accept warranty for not appropriate material used for cover over the lock button. What another steps should be done to solve this issue?
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Mirec001 wrote:
I have similar problem, but Orange Slovakia does not accept warranty for not appropriate material used for cover over the lock button. What another steps should be done to solve this issue?

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

If you feel you are being incorrectly denied warranty coverage, then you escalate (to management) with Orange and/or your original place of purchase. That is where your contract resides, including your specific warranty provisions.

If, however, you are being correctly denied warranty coverage (based on the terms of your actual contract), then there is nothing further to do in that regard. Instead, you seek a local (to you) shop with a qualified BB hardware technician to provide you a proper evaluation and estimate.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code