Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
Accepted Solution

Built-in GPS - Bold 9780 - Defective ?

Hello to all the members of this forum. Best wishes for this new year from France !:Yes:

I have a Bold 9780 (OS 6.0/863), using it for my job (company phone). Until last October 2012, my built-in GPS was doing a very good job with a lot of applications, such as road GPS Waze, Runtastic,Orange Maps, Endomondo...

It suddenly stopped working fine on October 7th at around 12AM.

Since I have tryed everything to fix my problem. Hard reset, uninstall all of the applications, reinstall with differents versions, checked my GPS position with LO+LA and....still stopped at my home's coordinates.

All the components are "in", auto location is "in" and when refreshing location.... waiting and suddenly a pop-up explain me that my bluetooth sytem (Volkswagen, in my car) is not reachable...

I live in France with a very good coverage, and I am SURE it is not because of my IT manager : my colleagues are still using very well the same applications than me before  and I phoned yesterday to my IT manager that confirmed it was not blocked by IT policy rules.

So is it really a bug concerning all these kinds of bold 9780 as I read before, or does exist a good fix to manage this issue ?

It is very boring and if there is no fix.... I think I will ask for a Iphone to Santa Claus !!

Really need for help to fix this issue. I really need to use this built-in GPS for my job (everyday on the road !)

And please : don't redirect me to the KB#.... that explain hox to check the GPS. It has been done a lot of times !

Thanks and see you soon.

Christophe

Solutions: 6,094
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Built-in GPS - Bold 9780 - Defective ?

Please, this is a BlackBerry user forum, we are not RIM employees, but volunteers who enjoy assisting other users. RIM personnel rarely comment on queries posted here. There's no need to post the 'iPhone thread'. We're here to try to help.

I won't direct you to the KB, since you've read it. But when you actually do a refresh of your GPS using those directions, outside in a clear view of the sky, what does happen? Have you performed this several times in a row? Tried different locations?

You also mentioned your IT manager, this is a BES account device?

Would you be willing to remove the IT Policy and try the GPS?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Sorry but it makes me a little nervous and I do not have any GPS application working now since a few weeks, so...

Well, when I do a refresh, it seems to search for something. Then I can read a pop-up "Impossible to reach WV phone" (this is the second item I can select in the tab when I try to refresh. (Options/Localisation parmeters/GPS data source)

I performed several times, differents days and different location (I am FSE in a big South Eastern region, and make a lot of travels evrey days)

Concerninr my company, I guess it is a BES. But, how to be sure ? Would you please be kind enough to explain it and/or to give a way to access the IT Policy rules ?

Thanks by advance.

At Options > Security > Security Information, what is on that screen?

What is "FSE in big South Eastern region"?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

At that screen, I can read  (translation) :

First part

Name : Basic

Last update : 12.19.2012

there is a tab showing software strategy

Second part

here are listed all my email accounts with a lot of numbers between [and]

Third part

Security information

Security GC activated

(* FSE is Field Service Engineer and my working area is France South Eastern)

You have an IT Policy. it really makes me wonder if your BES Admin has limited something re: GPS.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

My country's IT manager told me he does not limits the built-in GPS.

Using it is "normal" with our king of job....

The problem is : there is a superior IT manager outside my country (wich is manager of the company server's too).

So, I don't know about this, but it seems to be impossible to limit this device.

I can imagine that access to IT Policy Rules is not permitted to me ?

Do we have an access to configuration files by connecting BB on my PC ?

No, you can't access the specific IT rules, your BES Admin would have to tell you.

Have you installed BlackBerry Maps for GoogleMaps? I have found that sometimes either of those two apps can trigger the GPS to work.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Well, well, well....

I will check the IT managers after my vacations.... And I think this is the end !

Thanks for everything, merry Christmas and see you soon !

Christophe